Mahout found dead with throat cut at Phuket elephant camp

webfact

Mahout found dead with throat cut at Phuket elephant camp

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1592380537_1-org.jpg

Police at the elephant camp late yesterday (June 16). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A mahout was found with his throat cut by his own long knife at an elephant camp near Nai Thon Beach late yesterday afternoon (June 16). The relative who lived with the mahout believes that the man committed suicide.

Capt Sunan Petnu of the Sakoo Police was called to the elephant camp at around 5pm. 

At the scene, officers found the body of Taworn Patta, 34, originally from Surin province, on a mattress on the floor of his worker’s accommodation. Mr Taworn’s throat had been cut and a long knife he owned was lying nearby, blood stained and just out of his reach.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/mahout-found-dead-with-throat-cut-at-phuket-elephant-camp-76419.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-06-17

8 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Elephants are clever, this one obviously thought, if I use the knife no one will think it was me! The way some mahout abuse em I don't blame the critter.

My trunks long enough said the elephant, I can reach through the window take his knife, slash his throat and drop the knife right where it will look like he did it himself.  He used to beat me daily, yeah if I get caught that's my story.....

• Like 1

I had a silly rejoinder about it being a case for Inspector Clouseau. Then I started thinking about just what mental shape one has to be in that cutting ones own throat is seen as a solution to anything.

Now I'm depressed as hell

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Elephants are clever, this one obviously thought, if I use the knife no one will think it was me! The way some mahout abuse em I don't blame the critter.

ALL mahout abuse elephants.  The training begins when the elephants are young, with the mahout stabbing it with a bull hook.   A 10-15cm metal spike designed to tear it's flesh.  That is done in an area where the elephant can be shown its own blood, and repeated until it performs the labour or tricks demanded by the mahout.   Eventually the elephant is "crushed" ( the process is known as elephant crushing), and will do what is expected just at the sight of the bull hook, which is always carried by the mahout.

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:

A mahout was found with his throat cut by his own long knife at an elephant camp near Nai Thon Beach late yesterday afternoon (June 16). The relative who lived with the mahout believes that the man committed suicide.

I'll go along with that, next!