Kata/Karon dead or alive right now?

JCP108

Before the apocalypse, wife and I were fond of visiting Kata. Now that domestic travel is opening up a bit, she's eager to take a short trip. I'm wondering if any of you who live there or have been recently can comment on whether it is open enough for that to make sense. Recent photos of Koh Samui made it look like a ghost town. Not so interested in traveling to Kata if everything is closed beyond the hotel. 

Last week I drove along the beach from Patong to Kata and during the drive from the edge of Patong, through Karon, to the edge of Kata Noi, I only saw one restaurant open - no other activities or shops. Ghost town is an accurate description. 

To give you a sense of the emptiness, along the entire beach road of Patong (where crews are actively working on burying cables) from the Amari Hotel on the hill to the roundabout toward Patong Hill, the only places open are these five restaurants: Rustic, Roma Ristorante, The Pizza Company, Kudo Beach Club, Savoey Seafood. There are a few nicely spread out beach chairs. 

• Like 2

You don't even meet the walking dead there, it's as dead as it just can be.

Was there yesterday. I'd rather go to Rawai / Naiharn where there is at least a tiny little bit of life.

• Like 1

Hardly anything is open in Karon and Kata. Practically the only shops open are convenience stores and Makro, less than 10% of restaurants and those mostly the ones that cater to locals. Big hotels all closed and I believe most not intending to open until October and no bars.

I've also noticed a few places completely emptying their premises, so there are a number of businesses that won't be opening again.

• Like 2

I live in Kata and it is as dead as the dodo.  Half expecting to see tumbleweed bowling down the street.

Only one beach bar open(as far as I know) at the north end of the beach.  Many, many shops/bars/hotels closed and up for sale/rent.  Mega hotel building still going on though.

• Like 1

People surfing at Kata Beach last time I was there.

I'm currently in a very busy Hua Hin. Full of domestic weekend tourists and most businesses open. A lot of very expensive cars in some of the hotel car parks!

Domestic tourism sounds good when the bars and restaurants reopen. I am not really a beach person so like to relax watching the world go by being sat in a bar or restaurant.

I have seen a post with cheap flights so if all goes well and Karon / Kata start to open up I may have a week or so down there.