Buying a used car in Thailand

fdsa

I plan to fly to Bangkok for few days to choose, inspect and register a car. How long does it usually take to complete all the paperwork? Should I book a hotel for few weeks rather than few days?

Should I bring a lawyer or just a translator would be enough (I could not speak nor read Thai)? I thought about making a contract like "money will be transferred to the seller only after the successful car re-registration in the DLT, until that moment the money will be stored by the third party trustee/guarantor", is that necessary or everything should be easy and straightforward?

Which documents I have to bring with me besides the passport and the driving license? Do I really need a certificate of residence?

Should I go to the car brand's official service center for the inspection or some third-party garage would be better?

Any other advice for buying a used car?

Also it's not quite clear for me how car installments work.

There are some cars I like which are still on installments, the seller states something like "pay NNNNNN THB to me then pay MMMM THB monthly for ZZ months", should I bother with these cars or better choose a fully owned ones?

I plan to resell the car after 1-2 years, could there be any problems if I don't finish all payments before?

If I register a car in Bangkok but will drive in another province, will I have to go to Bangkok every year to pay tax and/or update the insurance, or it could be done anywhere?

I stay on Phuket but want to buy a car in Bangkok because of much wider selection and much better prices.

4 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Only the transfer have to be done in the DLT of registered province.

Does it mean I will have to bring the seller from Bangkok to Phuket? Or they could just give me all the documents and I can re-register the car myself once I return back from Bangkok?

I have bought and sold my previous cars to both Thai and Foreign buyers. The last one was in Nov last year to and American. My wife and I took them to the relevant Department in BKK in the Chatachuk area and there are agents who for a few hundred Baht will deal with the process on your behalf. We had to wait for a few hours in a local Mall and the process was completed without issue. You will though need as stated by a previous poster to have a Certificate of Residency from whatever area of Thailand you reside. If you choose to buy from a dealer then they will also deal with the transfer provided you have the correct paperwork and pay for the process which is not much in the scheme of things.

• Like 2

I would avoid going to the transport office in person ... they often like to make it difficult for farangs .

Wanted to buy a car in Phuket , but could not complete the process , because the transport office person said that the ID number of my Tabien Ban ( serves as certificate of residence ) is incomplete , 2 digits missing ...

Back home I went to complain about the ' incomplete ' No. of my Tabien Ban , only to find out that everything was correct .

The woman in Phuket Transport office lied to me .

I had 5200 Baht expenses and could not buy the car I wanted because on some incompetent and lying government employee .

You can give ' power of attorney ' to some person of your choice ( preferably Thai ) , and that person can do all the paperwork in the Transport Office for you .

That is what I will do the next time .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you are making this really difficult...

As to used cars: my wife would tell you to be careful. At least in the country, family rules - if a car is any good it will be gifted to or sold to a family member.. if there are problems, it will be sold 2nd hand... and not just cars..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

Hi. I'm an Aussie residing here in LOS for over 6 years. Bought a second hand car second day after arriving in BKK. Can highly recommend Tim Brooks. Arranged everything for me including all paperwork. Took delivery 2 days after making my selection. Has been in business in BKK for over 20 years. Phone Tim on 0818706364. I have no interest in this business other than being a very happy customer.

Did you buy a car from him? I googled this phone and found that he has a car sale/rental company. But I don't want to buy a car from him, I need a help with choosing & checking up a car from another dealers. Does he provide such service?

I've read a bit about buying a used car in Thailand and here is the summary:

- google car owner's phone number to make sure the car was never rented

- no stamped service record every 10k in service history book = walk away

- radiator has water instead of coolant = walk away

- no transmission oil change record every 50k = walk away

anything else?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irishrogue said:

My wife and I took them to the relevant Department in BKK in the Chatachuk area and there are agents who for a few hundred Baht will deal with the process on your behalf

How do I find these agents? They have stalls right in the front of the DLT office?

I bought my first car in Thailand from a second hand dealer, they took care of everything about paperwork and transfer. I only needed passport and a letter of residence from the local immigration office. It worked perfect, and the car was in good condition. The car was cheap, less than 1/3 of it's price as new – probably because it was 10-years old, and had a big engine that used a bit of gasoline – it lasted another 8½ years with me. I resold it through my service garage for 1/3 of what I paid, after a small fair commission to the garage, and the garage took care of everything with resale paperwork, and transfer to next owner.

Next time I bought a new car, because the second hand prices in general are too high compared to buying a new car, if one can afford it. The local brand office took care of everything.

10 hours ago, fdsa said:

Did you buy a car from him? I googled this phone and found that he has a car sale/rental company. But I don't want to buy a car from him, I need a help with choosing & checking up a car from another dealers. Does he provide such service?

anything else?

No, he took me to other dealers where we inspected their cars. He took my selection to his facility & had it checked over. I still own that car. Have driven it just over 75,000 Km since buying.

Why don't you call or email him & discuss ? With your requirements I'd be buying new.

• Like 1

Yep, did the same a few years ago, I bought a 1198 ducati. 
The DLT is not very helpful towards foreigners. I had all documents in order but they refused, luckily for me I had my wife with me. 
I preferred not to get into a conflict so I put the bike in my wife's name. 
Take a Thai with you, if you can someone you trust you may have to register the car in a Thai name.
You can transfer in your name but it will be stressful. 

18 hours ago, fdsa said:

How do I find these agents? They have stalls right in the front of the DLT office?

They are often hanging around the car/motorcycle ID# inspection area which is the first step in the transfer process at that office. However, do they really help with anything?  I have done it without them a couple of times, but I did have to wait around the Land Transportation office waiting for the different steps.  I found everyone very helpful without the agents, but both times both buyer and seller had Bangkok work permits and all documents.  

Is it better to register a car on my name (as a private person) or on my company? Which are advantages and disadvantages with registering a car on the company?

8 hours ago, malt25 said:

No, he took me to other dealers where we inspected their cars. He took my selection to his facility & had it checked over. I still own that car. Have driven it just over 75,000 Km since buying.

Why don't you call or email him & discuss ? With your requirements I'd be buying new.

Great, thank you!

I wanted to confirm that he does offer such service, rather than calling only to hear "sorry, we only sell our cars".

20 hours ago, fdsa said:

anything else?

If you buy from a dealer used the mileage/kilometers will have been rolled back. No if but or maybe. Why not buy from a farang on Phuket....a hell of a lot easier. Bangkok is not such a bargain.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:38 PM, Ireland32 said:

I would only buy Farang Used , Thais no nothing about maintenance 

"Thais no nothing about maintenance "  That's why they take their ride to a dealer or local garage.

On 6/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, fdsa said:

Is it better to register a car on my name (as a private person) or on my company? Which are advantages and disadvantages with registering a car on the company?

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Before there was auction about cars whitch have taken back! Coz not paid montly installment.

Not watch lately they still have that. Was in Udon, but i think have to have same kind there in south!

Anyway many buy from there almost new cars and really cheap price!

Edited by 2 is 1