Atlanta police officer charged with murder in shooting death of Rayshard Brooks

webfact

8 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

He shouldn't have shot at the officer.

He wouldn't have been shot anywhere if he hadn't tried to shoot the officer. 

You should listen to the DA's office on why he has been charged for an number of alleged offences. One of the reasons is the victim had turned his back to the officer after the taser was fired and no longer was a threat to the officer's life. Among other charges the officer'kicked the head of the victim whilst he lay on the ground dying. The officer doesn't come across as an innocent does he.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You should listen to the DA's office on why he has been charged for an number of alleged offences. One of the reasons is the victim had turned his back to the officer after the taser was fired and no longer was a threat to the officer's life. Among other charges the officer'kicked the head of the victim whilst he lay on the ground dying. The officer doesn't come across as an innocent does he.

The taser was fired while on the run, and for the kicking accusation. They have a still photograph that shows cop with a foot up, that's all. If the video showed cop kicking I'm sure we would have seen it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The taser was fired while on the run, and for the kicking accusation. They have a still photograph that shows cop with a foot up, that's all. If the video showed cop kicking I'm sure we would have seen it.

You have more evidence than the DA's office? - give it a break...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Have you seen evidence of cop kicking? The DA is just posturing for the crowd. 

You have more evidence than the DA's office? - give it a break...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Actually it was clear from interaction that he wasn't massively drunk. Drunk enough for a DUI yes. Probably a mix with being tired. Being in that line proved to be a fatal mistake. If he had been snoozing a bit in the parking lot most likely he would have been left alone. 

So you think drunk people should be left alone to drive? Is is racist to arrest a black drunk driver? If he hadn't resisted arrest he would also be alive. Lots of ifs...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

"he sort of asked for it."

Nice try at having it both ways. What don't you understand about the fact that he was shot in the back from a distance of 5 meters while running away?

He fired a taser, and a taser has a range of 5m. Imagine if he hit the police officer, who is now incapacitated, and has a gun in his holster? I would be fearful for my life at this point. It just seems like common sense to me that you don't point and shoot weapons at police officers during an arrest. 

If I was a police officer at this point I would just walk, because police officers are going to die because they will now hesitate when they only have a split second to react.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 8:23 AM, EVENKEEL said:

The first thought that comes to mind is, what cop is going to use deadly force against a violent black person ever again when the "Death Penalty" is possible. From now on the 3 magic words will be "I can't breathe"  This will soon become a joke in the black community. What will a cop do when those 3 magic words are spoken? Well the cop will stop everything, call EMS, call for back up and call for social services. What white cop in there right mind would agree to take a call in a black neighborhood.

Kum Bah Yah America

TASERS ? RUBBER BULLETS ? shooting in the leg in stead of the chest ?

9 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

TASERS ? RUBBER BULLETS ? shooting in the leg in stead of the chest ?

Shoot the leg huh, works in the movies but you try to shoot a moving leg at 20 ft when you're running and you're jacked on adrenaline. Which is why I'm pretty sure most law enforcement are trained to shoot center mass. Nothing fancy. You shoot to kill.

his actions coupled with a long history of unchecked disciplinary issues  tells me that supervision is an issue here, and if the supervision is substandard (as well as hiring practices) Atlanta PD is due for a major shift. Hell, start to replace the force from the top down for there's enough people out of work in America right now I'm sure the void could be filled in due time. With the broken faith on both sides (at least perceived) the police are a cancer there now picking and choosing what sectors to patrol or who to protect - they need to go. If you have to fill the void with National Guard in the interim so be it, better than dealing with selective non responsive policing and the obvious rampant hatred of the folks they're tasked to protect..

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

"The officer doesn't come across as an innocent does he".

Well, not on that one-sided, DA's version of the events, that, as far as the alleged "kicking" is concerned, has not been shown to be accurate. 

Maybe you (and a few others) should bear in mind that the officer is innocent right now, it's guilt that has to be proved, not innocence.

13 hours ago, stevenl said:
14 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Only in a sick society does one attempt to shoot a police officer with a deadly weapon whilst doing a runner.

So you agree US society is sick.

Interpret my post anyway that you want, I was just showing a reasonable variation of that poster's claim. 

Edited by Bob A Kneale

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There's a big difference between "Atlanta" saying that he was kicked and anything empirical showing that he was.  So far, nothing has been published that showed he was kicked.  Nothing.

Yes, "he was just running", then he turned around and fired the Taser at the officer (a recognised deadly weapon in Georgia/Atlanta), then he continued to run.

Wrong.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/crime/rayshard-brooks-kicked-by-officer-after-being-shot-in-atlanta/85-4da3eaea-0efa-46c4-99fa-b05cbfc1eccd

Yes, you are wrong, again. 

That link does not show Brooks being kicked, it's a still taken from the video that just shows the officer's leg in a raised position. He could, for example, have been about to step over Brooks as he was on the ground.  If he really was kicking him why has the video of that part not been shown, just an easily misinterpreted still?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Well, not on that one-sided, DA's version of the events, that, as far as the alleged "kicking" is concerned, has not been shown to be accurate. 

Maybe you (and a few others) should bear in mind that the officer is innocent right now, it's guilt that has to be proved, not innocence.

Have you watched all eleven of the videos the DA's office mentioned in reaching their decision for charges? Unless you actually know the detail of the evidence frankly it's ridiculous to accuse the DA of being one sided. Fully aware of the prosecution onus to prove guilt, why make such as comment in the first place, just silly. No reason to communicate further as have to wait the outcome of the trial - bye.

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He shouldn't have shot at the officer.

He wouldn't have been shot anywhere if he hadn't tried to shoot the officer. 

He was a civilian.

The murderer was supposedly a professionally trained officer.

He blew it.

Big time. 

So civilians shooting at police officers are not considered to be in the wrong just because they are civilians?  What other category of society, apart from civilians, does the police interact with 99.9% of the time?

Who's "the murderer"?  So far no one has been found to be a murderer. 

God help anyone that was being tried if you were on their jury.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

So civilians shooting at police officers are not considered to be in the wrong just because they are civilians?  What other category of society, apart from civilians, does the police interact with 99.9% of the time?

Who's "the murderer"?  So far no one has been found to be a murderer. 

God help anyone that was being tried if you were on their jury.

Fair enough. 

The alleged murderer. 

BTW I was on a jury before. 

I hung it. 

The accused was a white male soldier. 

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, simple1 said:
35 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Have you watched all eleven of the videos the DA's office mentioned in reaching their decision for charges? Unless you actually know the detail of the evidence frankly it's ridiculous to accuse the DA of being one sided. Fully aware of the prosecution onus to prove guilt, why make such as comment in the first place, just silly. No reason to communicate further as have to wait the outcome of the trial - bye.

Rest assured, if there was any empirical evidence of the alleged kicking in any of the videos it would have been shown by now, why would it not have been?

"Fully aware of the prosecution onus to prove guilt, why make such as comment in the first place, just silly".

Why should I make such a comment?  Because you made this comment...

"The officer doesn't come across as an innocent does he".  And yet you call me "silly"?

Edited by Bob A Kneale

9 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

<SNIP>

"Fully aware of the prosecution onus to prove guilt, why make such as comment in the first place, just silly".

Why should I make such a comment?  Because you made this comment...

"The officer doesn't come across as an innocent does he".  And yet you call me "silly"?

Got to admit I wouldn't be selected for jury duty in this case

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Fair enough. 

The alleged murderer. 

BTW I was on a jury before. 

I hung it. 

The accused was a white male soldier. 

"BTW I was on a jury before". 

I was commenting on your attitude now, not an alleged occasion "before".

"The accused was a white male soldier".

So what, what's the relevance of his race, gender and occupation?

1 minute ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"BTW I was on a jury before". 

I was commenting on your attitude now, not an alleged occasion "before".

"The accused was a white male soldier".

So what, what's the relevance of his race, gender and occupation?

Because that person was very different than me but I made an objective decision based on the evidence rather than any personal affinity. The other jurors wanted to kill me. 

1) The mayor has already declared Rolfe guilty

2) The DA has overcharged and filed charges before  investigation by the GBi(Georgia Bureau of Investigations) even started.  The GBI was very surprised the DA already filed charges.  So much for Due Process?  

3) The partner officer, Brosnan, was charged with three counts(1 count of Aggravated Assault?).  Charges against him will probably get dismissed.  I speculate he was charged to coerce him to testify against Rolfe? Brosnan’s attorney has already said he will not become a State Witness.  The DA said otherwise at his news conference.

4) The DA has previously declared under Georgia State La A taser is a deadly weapon.

5) In 2019 a Georgia Police Officer shot and killed a suspect who had taken away a Taser from an officer.  No charges were filed on this case.  But of course the suspect in this case was a White. 

These facts will require any trial cannot occur in Fulton County.  100% chance a Change of Venue will be asked for and granted. Also, the DA should recuse himself and turn the case over to the Georgia Attorney General.  

Currently the Atlanta Police Department is 58% Black.  What more can be done?  Go to 100% Black Officers?  The NYPD and the LAPD are at least 50% or more minorities.  Large American Police Departments are well diversified but it appears this not enough to satisfy the many segments of society.

When I was hired during the ancient times of the 1980’s the hiring quota was as follows:  70% White or equivalent, 10% Black, 10% Latno and 10% Female.  Each candidate for an Academy Class had to fit in one those categories.   I’m certain the first category is at lower percentage now.  In terms of police hiring, qualification is a secondary consideration.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

On 6/17/2020 at 8:18 PM, whaleboneman said:

It may be time for America to change its police force from white to black.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:23 PM, EVENKEEL said:

The first thought that comes to mind is, what cop is going to use deadly force against a violent black person ever again when the "Death Penalty" is possible. From now on the 3 magic words will be "I can't breathe"  This will soon become a joke in the black community. What will a cop do when those 3 magic words are spoken? Well the cop will stop everything, call EMS, call for back up and call for social services. What white cop in there right mind would agree to take a call in a black neighborhood.

Kum Bah Yah America

You know what the really scary thing is? This is not going to be limited to America. This insanity. This sort of irrationality will begin in Yankeeland and then will show up squarely on the doorstep of, first, Great Britain, and then the rest of the UK, before infecting Europe. Just like our statues got defaced, nobody from Britain gave a damn, until your own statues started getting defaced.