Ahead of Trump rally, coronavirus cases surge in Oklahoma, other states

webfact

47 minutes ago, Damual Travesty said:

so what? What are you advocating? Staying at home for another 6 months? I don't care how many cases there are. That is just people becoming immune, and stronger. I hope I get it and I'm over 60. I will survive. And if I didn't I am dead. A mosquito could give me dengue fever too. Or a car could hit me.

So you at the rally without mask or just virtue signaling virtually. 

• Haha 1

In the past week:

New Yorkers are 13 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than Oklahomans.

New Yorkers are 2.5 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than Texans.

So statistically, you are clearly much better off in Texas or Oklahoma than New York with regards to dying from COVID-19. The case count in these states is of no relief to people driven by hate of Trump and Republicans.

Perspective.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/texas-coronavirus-cases.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/oklahoma-coronavirus-cases.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/new-york-coronavirus-cases.html

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Damual Travesty said:

so what? What are you advocating? Staying at home for another 6 months? I don't care how many cases there are. That is just people becoming immune, and stronger. I hope I get it and I'm over 60. I will survive. And if I didn't I am dead. A mosquito could give me dengue fever too. Or a car could hit me.

here's what  you wrote before andI replied to:

"We'll have to wait and see. If there is no significant spite in Covid19, it shows that stay at home was not necessary."

Looks like you're changing your tune. By your previous criterion, it would be necessary. Now you're saying it doesn't matter.

And how does an increase in hospitalizations mean that it's "just people becoming immune and stronger." ?

4 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

The mask isn't about safety. It's about compliance.

Not only has there been a lot of research lately that shows the importance of wearing masks, but it's also the case that in those countries where wearing masks during the pandemic is virtually universal, there's been a fraction of the rate of covid infections and death compared to the USA.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Increased cases only mean we know more who is infected. Cases do NOT equal deaths. Or severely sick. When are people going to stop ogling these numbers like a death count?

The reports show that in those states that relaxed restrictions early, the rate of current infection is increasing. Not only that, but the number of hospitalization is rising.

Edited by johnpetersen
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

So you at the rally without mask or just virtue signaling virtually. 

Are you making a point? Are you raising a point? are you objecting to something specific I said? No I was not at the Trump rally. I don't consider wearing or not wearing a mask a sign of virtue.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

here's what  you wrote before andI replied to:

"We'll have to wait and see. If there is no significant spite in Covid19, it shows that stay at home was not necessary."

Looks like you're changing your tune. By your previous criterion, it would be necessary. Now you're saying it doesn't matter.

And how does an increase in hospitalizations mean that it's "just people becoming immune and stronger." ?

Here is exactly what I quoted EVERY WORD FOR WORD:

Where have you been?

Texas coronavirus hospitalizations spike 11 percent in single day

Texas hospitalizations reportedly jumped 11 percent from Tuesday to Wednesday.

Multiple states are seeing increases in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/medical-advances/503348-texas-coronavirus-hospitalization-up-11-percent

END QUOTE

6 minutes ago, Damual Travesty said:

Are you making a point? Are you raising a point? are you objecting to something specific I said? No I was not at the Trump rally. I don't consider wearing or not wearing a mask a sign of virtue.

It appears to me that was projection, as the left often engages in. Case in point: "woke" actress Alyssa Milano. Spotted wearing a mask. The only problem? It's CROCHETED and full of holes. 

https://pagesix.com/2020/05/24/alyssa-milano-trolled-on-twitter-for-wearing-crochet-face-mask/

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

In the past week:

New Yorkers are 13 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than Oklahomans.

New Yorkers are 2.5 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than Texans.

So statistically, you are clearly much better off in Texas or Oklahoma than New York with regards to dying from COVID-19. The case count in these states is of no relief to people driven by hate of Trump and Republicans.

Perspective.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/texas-coronavirus-cases.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/oklahoma-coronavirus-cases.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/new-york-coronavirus-cases.html

No, you've got it wrong. It would be correct to say out of the current population, new yorkers are x times more likely to have had covid than whoever. That's the ast.  But it doesn't address the present situation. Which is that rates have plummeted in new york and are spiking in many states including oklahoma. You would think that these states would have learned from what worked and what didn't in New York. Instead they're ignoring it and endengering their own citizens. Let's see what the figures are like in 6 months.

edit: In other words, you may have been much better off in the past in Oklahoma, but going forward, not.

Edited by johnpetersen
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Damual Travesty said:

I know this is hard to understand, but I support Trump on the basis of Policy. I completely and thoroughly reject the alternative party, and even Republican politicians often turn my stomach. But I cannot accept what this Democrat party has done to the current President. I will never forgive them and never consider them a legitimate party again, in fact I could never even befriend someone who knowing what is now known about them would still call themselves a Democrat, even if they hold the most left wing views, to still consider a vote for such a party is beyond the pale. The USA is turning violent. It will end when order is returned. I do not worship Trump, but the alternative is not acceptable to me ever. I no longer even consider the Democrat party a party. And YES I have voted for them in the past. I honestly believe that their leadership are criminals who have caused grave harm to the USA. The speaker of the House wrote that the President was working for the Russians, come on? Really? And this overwhelming evidence?  Never existed. I simply cannot imagine what it must have been like to be young man in Basic training hearing about such things. That the Commander in Chief was in the pocket of the Russian state. To say such things is NOT EXCUSABLE and they must be punished out of existence. I mean that out of existence. meaning the party no longer exists as a Party. Everyone can now see the obvious. No forgiveness. Never forget. Things are not as they were. I am in my 60s. I worship only God. This is all very sad and very serious. Nothing is funny anymore. Nothing.

Wow! We have a president that is obviously a traitor, a criminal, a draft dodger (etc, ect, etc) and for you the normal reaction of trying to fight this individual is wrong???

Talk about living in an alternate universe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I agree.  Who cares how many people caught something that is contagious?  Are we now going to start a count of how many people catch a normal flu?  Might as well as a normal flu kills people also.

Only important figure is the IFR.  If you exclude the elderly, morbidly obese, insulin resistant people, as well as those with compromised immune systems, the IFR would basically be nil.  All those that fit into the danger category, should stay home.

Nonsense. Try to keep in mind that the flu in the past was not met with such measures as social distancing and mask wearing. So to compare those numbers to the current situations without controlling for that is utterly invalid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, johnpetersen said:

No, you've got it wrong. It would be correct to say out of the current population, new yorkers are x times more likely to have had covid than whoever. That's the ast.  But it doesn't address the present situation. Which is that rates have plummeted in new york and are spiking in many states including oklahoma. You would think that these states would have learned from what worked and what didn't in New York. Instead they're ignoring it and endengering their own citizens. Let's see what the figures are like in 6 months.

Well Mr. Petersen, I would argue that we can't compare future statistics. We can only get facts from the past. Using your logic, we can make no references to the past. Therefore, the article itself is invalid as it using information from the past as its entire basis. So no, I've gotten nothing wrong. But you, however, did demolish the article posted with the logic you've presented.

I acknowledge the dramatic language used, i.e. "plummeted" and "spiking". However, such words do nothing to the facts I posted. They stand unscathed. More importantly, as previously noted, PERSPECTIVE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

Stay at home like Sleepy Joe, is a good strategy for left wingers progressives. 

It's been a great strategy for Biden. He just lets Trump self-destruct with his lunacy. We know that the Trump campaign realized Trump is in trouble because, just a few months ago, they weren't committing themselves to even one debate with Biden. Now they want 4. That's what behind candidates do. Try to shake things up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

It appears to me that was projection, as the left often engages in. Case in point: "woke" actress Alyssa Milano. Spotted wearing a mask. The only problem? It's CROCHETED and full of holes. 

https://pagesix.com/2020/05/24/alyssa-milano-trolled-on-twitter-for-wearing-crochet-face-mask/

As far as I am concerned they should throw all caution to the wind at this point. Live normal. If you have issues stay at home. Tell your family about your issues then isolate yourself until sad life is over. As for everyone else build up immunity through infection as chances are you will barely notice you had it. I am over 60 and under 70, strong and healthy and sick to death of hearing about corona virus. What about if it comes back harder, mutates, etc? It's time to put all money into vaccines and we need a raging economy globally. Enough is enough. Some people here think this is a fantasy world that can survive perpetual shutdown, likewise they think that human nature does not want to wear a mask and you cannot force it upon people to do so in cultures that do not normally comply with group behaviour. To attempt to shame the world into wearing a mask is a bit dumb, likewise is to arrest people for non-compliance. Countries that have already given up freedoms to authority to so much better then others. My Mom is 80, she wears a mask when she goes bowling, but half her bowling team of other 80 year old's don't. So go figure. Fat chance of forcing them to wear one. 

• Like 2

Just now, johnpetersen said:

It's been a great strategy for Biden. He just lets Trump self-destruct with his lunacy. We know that the Trump campaign realized Trump is in trouble because, just a few months ago, they weren't committing themselves to even one debate with Biden. Now they want 4. That's what behind candidates do. Try to shake things up.

Ummmm.... just a few months ago, there wasn't a Democrat nominee. Of course there are going to be debates. Even the casual observer knows this. Trying to create drama about who was expecting them when or not is silly. And given 55% of Americans think Biden has dementia, rest assured they will be watching the debates closely. And even though Biden will likely get questions in advance, he won't be able to remember enough to make it useful!

https://www.zogbyanalytics.com/news/943-the-zogby-poll-a-majority-of-voters-believe-biden-is-in-the-early-stages-of-dementia-60-of-younger-voters-think-so-swing-voters-less-likely-to-think-biden-has-dementia

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Damual Travesty said:

As far as I am concerned they should throw all caution to the wind at this point. Live normal. If you have issues stay at home. Tell your family about your issues then isolate yourself until sad life is over. As for everyone else build up immunity through infection as chances are you will barely notice you had it. I am over 60 and under 70, strong and healthy and sick to death of hearing about corona virus. What about if it comes back harder, mutates, etc? It's time to put all money into vaccines and we need a raging economy globally. Enough is enough. Some people here think this is a fantasy world that can survive perpetual shutdown, likewise they think that human nature does not want to wear a mask and you cannot force it upon people to do so in cultures that do not normally comply with group behaviour. To attempt to shame the world into wearing a mask is a bit dumb, likewise is to arrest people for non-compliance. Countries that have already given up freedoms to authority to so much better then others. My Mom is 80, she wears a mask when she goes bowling, but half her bowling team of other 80 year old's don't. So go figure. Fat chance of forcing them to wear one. 

It's like attempting to shame people into not shooting guns at random on a crowded street. That you might kill other people isn't important. What's important is your freedom to fire those guns and not to be made ashamed of doing so. Very sensitive dispositions those non mask-wearing individuals have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

OK. So now what?

Mandatory mask wearing would be a good place to start. But Donald Trump has managed to politicize it. Are there any other countries where this is even an issue? There wouldn't even be a conversation about it now if Trump had pushed for it. And his polling numbers would certainly look a lot better. Those leaders who somehow managed to align themselves with the advice of the medical community have experienced increased public approval.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Well Mr. Petersen, I would argue that we can't compare future statistics. We can only get facts from the past. Using your logic, we can make no references to the past. Therefore, the article itself is invalid as it using information from the past as its entire basis. So no, I've gotten nothing wrong. But you, however, did demolish the article posted with the logic you've presented.

I acknowledge the dramatic language used, i.e. "plummeted" and "spiking". However, such words do nothing to the facts I posted. They stand unscathed. More importantly, as previously noted, PERSPECTIVE.

Congratulations. You've just undermined the basis of epidemiology. Epidemiologists may not be able to compare events that haven't happened yet, but they do project.

12 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

Mandatory mask wearing would be a good place to start. But Donald Trump has managed to politicize it. Are there any other countries where this is even an issue? There wouldn't even be a conversation about it now if Trump had pushed for it. And his polling numbers would certainly look a lot better. Those leaders who somehow managed to align themselves with the advice of the medical community have experienced increased public approval.

Mandatory mask wearing in the USA, under penalty of what? Jail? A citation?

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 8:25 AM, stevenl said:
On 6/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, TopDeadSenter said:

Odd to see this spike being blamed on Trump's rally that didn't even happen yet. Is it possible the abandoning of social distancing and lockdown by the communist/BLM revolters has been the cause of this spike instead? I'm sure after praising and supporting the violent protesters for 2 weeks mainstream media can not be so crass as to whinge when the President holds his rally, that would be too ridiculous for words. Let's see.

"Odd to see this spike being blamed on Trump's rally that didn't even happen yet."

'ahead of the rally' means the rally is not being blamed. Why do you even post things like that that are clearly not true?

You could ask   Why does Trump lack the ability to tell the truth?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

It's like attempting to shame people into not shooting guns at random on a crowded street. That you might kill other people isn't important. What's important is your freedom to fire those guns and not to be made ashamed of doing so. Very sensitive dispositions those non mask-wearing individuals have.

You think you are being smug talking about guns like this? You think you are funny? People have already threatened to enter homes. There are people living in mixed race poor neighbourhoods who are scared to death. Let me tell you those people are locked and loaded, and don't think any of this is funny - Now I don't know if you are American John Peterson but further violence in the USA is not good for anyone. NOT ANYONE. But rest assured no one is taking away anyone's right to own one not in the USA. And masks and guns are two very different topics, and despite your rather strange attempt at somehow deciding that masks and guns are a same topic they are not John.  And yes John when someone fires at a crowd of people throwing rocks through his home while is family cries, he will not feel ashamed for pulling the trigger. So be careful what you are taking about here. All of this is real and not just people talking on boards. Innocent people WILL be killed if this violence continues. Yeah people are sensitive to being told what to do by Governments.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1