Carragher says VAR in a 'straitjacket' after Blades denied goal

snoop1130

Carragher says VAR in a 'straitjacket' after Blades denied goal

2020-06-18T104509Z_1_LYNXMPEG5H13P_RTROPTP_4_SOCCER-ENGLAND-AVA-SHU-REPORT.JPG

Premier League - Aston Villa v Sheffield United - Villa Park, Birmingham, Britain - June 17, 2020 Aston Villa's Orjan Nyland appears to carry the ball over the goal line however a goal is not awarded as play resumes behind closed doors following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Paul Ellis/Pool via REUTERS

(Reuters) - The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system is not being used to its full potential as it has been put in a "straitjacket" by protocol, former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher said.

Carragher's comments came after Sheffield United were denied a legitimate goal in the 0-0 Premier League draw at Aston Villa on Wednesday.

"I go back to the idea that VAR has been in a straitjacket: we can only do 'this,'" Carragher told Sky Sports.

"It doesn't matter how you get to the right decision. It's goalline technology but are they (VAR) not in the referee's ear, speaking to people running the technology?

"Rather than all these protocols, they should be saying, 'OK, you've made a mistake, we'll step in.'"

Hawk-Eye, the operators of the goalline technology system used in the Premier League, later apologised for the failure.

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder blasted the decision not to award his team a goal.

"This goes right in, I'd imagine, top of the pile in poor decisions that have been made by the process of technology," Wilder told reporters.

"The statement has come out, unprecedented, unbelievable... we were waiting for somebody... to show a bit of courage, stick their chest out and say, 'I'll make that decision.'"

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg said VAR should have intervened to correct an obvious error.

"Officials need to stop acting like robots and take ownership because a human being has to make the final decision, although I attach no blame to referee Michael Oliver in this instance," Clattenburg told the Daily Mail.

"VAR was brought in to stop the scandal, but this is a scandalous situation."

British media described it as a "farce".

"Ah, football... what else could take an occasion heavy with significance, dignified by extraordinary and moving gestures around racism and a global pandemic, and transform it into a goalline farce?" Matt Dickinson wrote in The Times.

Former referee Peter Walton said the match officials could not be blamed as they are led by technology.

"Who would overrule technology with the naked eye? There's always the back-up of the VAR and they should be looking for a potential goal in their normal check," he said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-18

• Haha 1

Technology sometimes fails; it happens; but it was crystal clear to all that the ball had gone over the line. At half time Villa manager Dean Smith should have instructed his team to give the ball to Sheff Utd at the start of the 2nd half and allow them to score an unchallenged goal. It is called sportsmanship and is the morally correct course of action. Bear in mind that last season Villa were recipients of a sporting decision by Leeds manager Bielsa who allowed them to score an unchallenged goal in a crucial game for both sides. Bielsa is one classy individual, however. Contrast with the behaviour of Villa captain Grealish who repeatedly exaggerated the effect of tackles on him in attempts to get opponents a yellow card. Embarrasing.

It seems the unity and sense of togetherness displayed by players and coaches towards the BLM movement cannot be extended to basic tenets of fair play to opponents. Pretty shameful in my view and Villa deserve to be relegated and the manager sacked. Their dismal form and inept defending should see to both.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

Technology sometimes fails; it happens; but it was crystal clear to all that the ball had gone over the line. At half time Villa manager Dean Smith should have instructed his team to give the ball to Sheff Utd at the start of the 2nd half and allow them to score an unchallenged goal. It is called sportsmanship and is the morally correct course of action. Bear in mind that last season Villa were recipients of a sporting decision by Leeds manager Bielsa who allowed them to score an unchallenged goal in a crucial game for both sides. Bielsa is one classy individual, however. Contrast with the behaviour of Villa captain Grealish who repeatedly exaggerated the effect of tackles on him in attempts to get opponents a yellow card. Embarrasing.

It seems the unity and sense of togetherness displayed by players and coaches towards the BLM movement cannot be extended to basic tenets of fair play to opponents. Pretty shameful in my view and Villa deserve to be relegated and the manager sacked. Their dismal form and inept defending should see to both.

Not a Villa fan then?

VAR it's a big mess and still depends on the ones reviewing it final's decision, how many goals were denied last year based on the VAR decision on a half inch discrepancy or the size of the players boots and here whereby even a half blind person could see the ball was in but the VAR couldn't see it

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Not a Villa fan then?

Not a fan of either team but I think Villa's behaviour in this matter is unsporting at best. Money means more I suppose.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

VAR it's a big mess and still depends on the ones reviewing it final's decision, how many goals were denied last year based on the VAR decision on a half inch discrepancy or the size of the players boots and here whereby even a half blind person could see the ball was in but the VAR couldn't see it

VARs are limited to what they can adjudicate on: red cards, offsides, penalties and handballs. They cannot adjudicate on goal line queries but that will have to change for next season. A backup system needs to be in place in the event of goal line technology failures, though it seems that the only failing was the ref not getting a signal. Hawkeye's camera showed the ball over the line.

21 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Is he the one who sent someone to spy on Derby I think it was

Yes that's him. Fat lot of good it  did him in the playoffs. I think your man Pep holds him in high regard, as do many others. @jellydog will know him better than me and you.

Must dash, Spurs v Rags is starting.

• Like 1