Should I help?

My GF's granddaughter is switching schools to some kind of higher education. 15 yo, no idea how accomplished she is academically. Wants to be a Japanese translator. I don't have a high opinion of the Thai education system.

My GF has asked me if I would contribute half her education costs, amount as yet unspecified.

She's a nice kid. However, my first thought is the Thai mother and father ( divorced ) seem to be singularly absent from the conversation. She has lived with her grandmother for about 5 years now, the mother and father drop in occasionally.

What would you do?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I would say support the initiative  for as  long as it  is demonstrably genuine in results.

That is after ascertaining the real purpose! e.g. is a boy she fancies also moving  schools?

Been there as an experience.

No boys involved as yet, although it is a valid point.

• Like 1

I would make it conditional that she does her homework in your home, not her grandparents. You may not understand the homework but at least you can see she is not just playing on her iPhone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Can she even speak some english

they all want to do things but is it plausable

depends on the childs ability 

if it becomes to hard they just drop it 

She can speak some limited English, and is studying it. I have helped her with homework a few times.

1 hour ago, anterian said:

I would make it conditional that she does her homework in your home, not her grandparents. You may not understand the homework but at least you can see she is not just playing on her iPhone.

Absolutely in his home and show gratitude, maybe clean some items. 

????

You know the girl better than anyone on here. I’d say if you believe she will take it seriously and the cost does not significantly eat into your income then agree to fund the first year, with any further years dependent on passing the exams. So you have a get out clause if she’s not applying herself. But if the funding adds to your economic burden then just explain that you can’t afford it ... sorry. Ultimately she is not your responsibility.

4 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Absolutely in his home and show gratitude, maybe clean some items. 

????

She does help her grandmother with stuff like doing my laundry, or clearing away dining plates.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:52 PM, blackcab said:

I would consider it, but I would want much more detail. I would also put a limit on it. For example, you will help until she finishes this school, but if she wants to go to university then you will review her progress before you say yes or no to helping with uni fees.

Also pay the school fees directly.

Many schools & universities in LOS had serious problems with students paying and getting a receipt from the immediate admin. staff then later the student get's a request from the actual accounting dept., for the whole school 'please pay your fees, your overdue. 

Proven again and again the local admin gave a receipt but they pocketed the money.

One uni I'm aware of had very serious problems with this, a few years back they started a new system:

1. Every admin. dept had to give a numbered and fully itemized bill to every students just before the start of registration for each semester, and the bill had to have the name and number of a bank account with Krung Thai bank. 

2. Student or family member had to pay at the bank /bank transfer direct to this account quoting the student number.  Within a few minutes of payment the student gets an e.mail confirming receipt of the fees. Students told to never delete this e.mail. Students have to take a copy of the proof of payment e.mail to the uni book room to pick up books etc., for next course. Uni forbidden to ask students for extra money for books etc.

3. Nobody at the uni / no hangers on allowed to approach students asking them to pay more or offering them 'extras', all totally banned. 

4. Students told to immediately write their names and student number on their new books before they leave the book room, security guard at door has to see the names / students, on all books. If they just write their nick name 'Doi' or whatever security guard won't accept, tells them to write full name / students number, every book. If they forget books in the classroom and maid hands the books to admin, the admin staff are totally banned from asking the students to pay a recovery fee. 

The new system is not complicated, it worked and quickly made a big positive change to attitudes of staff. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rumak said:

don't give a loan,  if you are going to "help"  just give the money or whatever outright and do not expect anything in return.

But it isn't a loan.  It's a gift and is being requested to assist in education.  It seems reasonable to make it conditional (since the justification is that it is for education and presumably a better future) upon the child genuinely making an effort, otherwise the gift is squandered and they may as well not pay.

"Please, it's for her future!!!"

**student proceeds to perform badly and squander opportunity**

"Gee, I'm so glad I spent my money on securing a good future for her."

2 hours ago, rumak said:

I have just skimmed the answers posted so far,  and except for Yinn's input,  the opinions are

almost all     If this, on condition of that,  dependent on this,  to be reviewed periodically, etc.

Those are all good points,  and in my experience the oversight required would be quite an undertaking

as well as IMO  an almost certain recipe for future disagreements and problems between the parties involved.    It just is what happens !!

Reminds me of the advice:   don't give a loan,  if you are going to "help"  just give the money or whatever outright and do not expect anything in return.

And then there is the famous saying "  No good deed goes unpunished" 

Hard to be so cynical,  took years of experience

I've never considered money given to my GF or her family as a loan. My approach is I expect the father and mother to be responsible for contributing to the support of their children. If they think

this farang is an easy source of funds, they are sadly mistaken.

Your saying does resonate with me, because I tried to do the right thing by a former defacto in Australia. That experience, and her greed,  has made me far less trusting.

On 6/18/2020 at 8:05 PM, Lacessit said:

I don't have a high opinion of the Thai education system.

Not pertinent... sounds like an excuse to not help...

If you like the kid and want to give encouragement and help out, then you will contribute... there is no guarantee that it will work out ok... anything might happen. All you can do is help with the opportunity or not... 

I have helped many of the children in my family - sometimes it works, sometimes not. But because it doesn't work for some, it does not mean that I should not give to others... 

• Like 1

If it was me and I cared about this girl, I would pay the 1/2 school tuition. However I would make sure to pay the money directly to the school and not let it pass through the hands of the mother, father or grandmother. I also would want to see her report card each 6 months.

• Like 1