BANGKOK

My GF's granddaughter is switching schools to some kind of higher education. 15 yo, no idea how accomplished she is academically. Wants to be a Japanese translator. I don't have a high opinion of the Thai education system.

My GF has asked me if I would contribute half her education costs, amount as yet unspecified.

She's a nice kid. However, my first thought is the Thai mother and father ( divorced ) seem to be singularly absent from the conversation. She has lived with her grandmother for about 5 years now, the mother and father drop in occasionally.

What would you do?

• Haha 1

She will go to year 4 of secondary education. You get a certificate after 3 years.

• Like 1

I would say support the initiative  for as  long as it  is demonstrably genuine in results.

That is after ascertaining the real purpose! e.g. is a boy she fancies also moving  schools?

Been there as an experience.

NO, simple short and  sweet.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I would say support the initiative  for as  long as it  is demonstrably genuine in results.

That is after ascertaining the real purpose! e.g. is a boy she fancies also moving  schools?

Been there as an experience.

No boys involved as yet, although it is a valid point.

• Like 1

I would make it conditional that she does her homework in your home, not her grandparents. You may not understand the homework but at least you can see she is not just playing on her iPhone.

• Like 1

Can she even speak some english

they all want to do things but is it plausable

depends on the childs ability 

if it becomes to hard they just drop it 

10 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Can she even speak some english

they all want to do things but is it plausable

depends on the childs ability 

if it becomes to hard they just drop it 

She can speak some limited English, and is studying it. I have helped her with homework a few times.

From what I have experienced, if encouraged and supported, Thai children can be very industrious and apply themselves, sure doesn't always work out the way we expect, that should not prevent providing the opportunity.

I don't know your girlfriend but would suggest she approached you because she felt this was something worthwhile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anterian said:

I would make it conditional that she does her homework in your home, not her grandparents. You may not understand the homework but at least you can see she is not just playing on her iPhone.

Absolutely in his home and show gratitude, maybe clean some items. 

😜