Samui Open for Business?

3 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Chad from CB Media is there now, he says 90% closed in Chaweng.

Ohh..looking at the video...missing Thailand and Samui so much.

Most of the restaurants in Chaweng are closed, and tons of hotels too. I hear there are now people coming from the mainland, but not in such numbers to make a significant change. Some of the hospitality staff left the island to come back when the things get better, others are waiting and hoping to get employed soon. Many running out of money. Some places have closed permanently and there is plenty of second hand equipment for sale. We were looking to find a temp job for an intern with a 3+ star hotel through business friends, many many places are still closed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Ohh..looking at the video...missing Thailand and Samui so much.

Most of the restaurants in Chaweng are closed, and tons of hotels too. I hear there are now people coming from the mainland, but not in such numbers to make a significant change. Some of the hospitality staff left the island to come back when the things get better, others are waiting and hoping to get employed soon. Many running out of money. Some places have closed permanently and there is plenty of second hand equipment for sale. We were looking to find a temp job for an intern with a 3+ star hotel through business friends, many many places are still closed.

Watch his update from today, Chaweng and Lamai deserted.

• Like 2

Looked like a handful of expats just sitting around Lamai having a few beers... looks grim.  Even if the borders open this year, not sure we are going to proceed with our previous reservation on Samui.  Have a feeling a lot of places will be going under or not have staff in time for high season.

• Like 2

Smaller Thai owned hotels are opening now. They are hoping to make business with domstic tourists. Tha bigger ones still closed. 

Chaweng beach road is completely empty. Wonder why they don't finish building that road. Now would be perfect. 

Places like Plai Laem market full like before Corona. 

Personally I liked the first April weeks. Could stay like that forever

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

This guy pushes a certain narrative for his videos, he likes to paint the picture that he is the only westerner that has ever been to places, he is discovering places in Thailand that nobody else has ever seen etc. Reality is he is probably filming in early morning. found a 7/11 thats being renovated etc. If there is a busy restaurant and an empty restaurant, he will film the empty restaurant and make out he is the first westerner ever to visit it.

He refers to covid etc as "the situation" as though its illegal to be talking about it, all adds the the drama he creates.

If you mention "coronavirus" or "covid-19" in your YouTube title or in the content then YouTube place a blue warning strip under the video title. This is the reason he says the "situation" and it will affect revenue too.

2 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

If you mention "coronavirus" or "covid-19" in your YouTube title or in the content then YouTube place a blue warning strip under the video title. This is the reason he says the "situation" and it will affect revenue too.

Thats not true, do a quick search on youtube for Covid, corona etc, there are literally 1,000s of videos with covid in the title, talking about covid. No Blue warnings or loss of monetization. I have friends who vblog and have said the word covid 127 times and their videos are still monetized.

They have pulled videos with fake news about covid etc, but you can write and say the word.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats not true, do a quick search on youtube for Covid, corona etc, there are literally 1,000s of videos with covid in the title, talking about covid. No Blue warnings or loss of monetization. I have friends who vblog and have said the word covid 127 times and their videos are still monetized.

They have pulled videos with fake news about covid etc, but you can write and say the word.

All down to the algorithm. Here is an example, blue warning above the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRrM-_eodM

Lamai beach where I go working a few kilometers every morning is still practically deserted and everything is still closed except the Bamboo restaurant whose owner is a Thais and at the end to the east where the big rocks start a restaurant also opened but I forgot the name.

4B8AB040-EAB9-4592-BE67-7C3FED37A92C_1_105_c.jpeg

F1178B44-95BF-40FF-8B04-A9103894D6F4_1_105_c.jpeg

97BD18D5-6B75-4A16-A384-3AB81E6D5C6A_1_105_c.jpeg

A251D770-72DB-4FBC-A1CA-E5F4BBE95AD8_1_105_c.jpeg

3D440A99-2120-46C1-B384-FE59E8B41954_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Which beach currently offers the most in terms of restaurants/food stalls/markets being open if they arrived this week?  Which area has the most to offer currently?  (Yes I know it's not much but some area has to have the most)

3 hours ago, SAcanman said:

Which beach currently offers the most in terms of restaurants/food stalls/markets being open if they arrived this week?  Which area has the most to offer currently?  (Yes I know it's not much but some area has to have the most)

Have a look at Maenam or Bangrak.

Bangrak beach is not one of the best beaches (piers and watersports), but quite a few restaurants open and a very busy market.

Used mostly by locals (Thai and farang) so not reliant on tourism.

I only know the northern end of the island. Hopefully others can advise on other areas.

The north and west coasts of Samui are quiet even in a normal high season. Most tourists only visit the east coast and that is dead until International visitors are allowed in again.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great replies folks.

Interest videos from Chad, and interesting commentary too that he is biased to finding things that are closed versus open. Bit of CNN / Fox news syndrome going on there? haha. To be fair, it's a good video nonetheless. 

For me, I've just got a bit of cabin fever in Bangkok. I like going to Chaweng because I can get there from my condo in Bangkok in 2-3 hours. Check in online, leave my condo an about 70 mins before departure, an hour on the flight down, no checked baggage and have a car waiting to pick me up and 10 mins to Chaweng. Given the situation, I could "suffer" and extra 20 mins to get to Lamai if that's a bit more lively.

"Loud music and bar girls" > not necessary. Just hoping to find a couple of easy going bars with a few fun people (staff, expats, long-stay tourists, whoever) to interact while I fill my belly with beer, after the sun goes down..... and regular Thai food will do us just fine ???? ....... and during the day, as long as I can get some enjoyable food and a few milkshakes in the early day on the beach, and a few beers in the afternoon, then I'll be happy.

Thanks again for all the info. Seems like early-to-mid July should be a good time to visit.

55 minutes ago, Deli said:

Bangrak is pretty ugly, though

It always has been ???? but it is well supported by locals.

It is away from the tourist magnet called Chaweng. Much cheaper as well.

For visitors, Maenam is a much better area usually, but I have no idea what is open over there.

Open in Bangrak these days (that I know of) are

2 Italian restaurants

2 French restaurants

Mexican (fusion?) restaurant

2 French bakeries

Steak house

Burger bar

Pizza place

Lots of Thai restaurants and a few good cafes.

(Oh and a couple of 'bars' ????)

Some poncy places are open too if you want to splash the cash.

Edited by Tropicalevo

No. It is deserted, and Chewing Beach resembles Dresden, post 1945. There are a massive number of businesses which are either abandoned, boarded up, closed, or gone for good. They were doing road work on the beach road in Chaweng before all this happened, and it appears that project is abandoned, so it has contributed to the blight. It is not a fun place to be at the moment. Friends of mine who live there say it is quite depressing to see all of this, and knowing how dependent the Southern Islands are on foreigners (Samui, Phangan and Dark Tao never attracted many Thai tourists, as they have an aversion to pirate pricing, and the stunning lack of law and order), who knows how long it could be, before we see any sort of revival?

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

31939.jpg

airport-coronavirus-gty-ps-200305_hpEmbed_23x15_992.jpg

IMG_1109.JPG

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, SAcanman said:

Probably Lamai Beach. It is one of the better areas, and does not have the degree of blight that Chaweng has. But, the whole island is super quiet now. 

Bangrak ugly? There is a sandbar in clear water, nice views and the beach is ok middle and western part. Only stunning sunsets of all beaches not in the West can be seen from the eastern part. Plai Laem market developed as the busiest market on the island....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. It is deserted, and Chewing Beach resembles Dresden, post 1945. There are a massive number of businesses which are either abandoned, boarded up, closed, or gone for good. They were doing road work on the beach road in Chaweng before all this happened, and it appears that project is abandoned, so it has contributed to the blight. It is not a fun place to be at the moment. Friends of mine who live there say it is quite depressing to see all of this, and knowing how dependent the Southern Islands are on foreigners (Samui, Phangan and Dark Tao never attracted many Thai tourists, as they have an aversion to pirate pricing, and the stunning lack of law and order), who knows how long it could be, before we see any sort of revival?

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

31939.jpg

airport-coronavirus-gty-ps-200305_hpEmbed_23x15_992.jpg

IMG_1109.JPG

Thais have a completely other understanding about beach life than Farangs. An afternoon at Bang Saen under huge umbrellas and plenty of food with friends and family. Not daily on a towel or beach chair under palms from morning to evening for weeks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Thais have a completely other understanding about beach life than Farangs. An afternoon at Bang Saen under huge umbrellas and plenty of food with friends and family. Not daily on a towel or beach chair under palms from morning to evening for weeks. 

That is true. But most Thais consider Samui and the southern islands to be a blight zone and a rip off too.