Samui Open for Business?

On 6/19/2020 at 6:49 AM, Maha Sarakham said:

Looked like a handful of expats just sitting around Lamai having a few beers... looks grim.  Even if the borders open this year, not sure we are going to proceed with our previous reservation on Samui.  Have a feeling a lot of places will be going under or not have staff in time for high season.

Forget about high season anymore for at least 2 years. We can only start to see the economical damages,chaweng is leading towards being a ghosts town with closings and bankrupcies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That is true. But most Thais consider Samui and the southern islands to be a blight zone and a rip off too.

For most Thais Koh Samui is terra incognita. A place never considered to think about in their whole life time. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

You seem to be a bit distanced from reality.

'It is not a fun place to be at the moment.' There are no fun places for International tourists to be in Thailand. There are no tourists. There will probably be no International tourists until 2021 at the earliest. Anywhere in Thailand. Most airlines are planning to start flights in September - for domestic tourists. The country is locked down in case you had not heard.

Do you believe that Phuket or Pattaya or Bangkok are any better off?

I manage villas. There are plenty of domestic tourists currently arriving on Samui in the area where I am. Both Thais and foreigners. Most arrive via the ferries, having driven from Bangkok or Phuket. They are not looking for the sleezy areas that you keep harping on about. They do not want to go to some little village called Chaweng. They are coming to Samui, with their families, and enjoying the uncrowded beaches and good restaurants that are open. (The more touristy ones are still closed.) Most guests recently (both Thai and foreign) have been impressed with the quality and price of the food in the restaurants that we recommend. 'Much cheaper than Bangkok' say they.

Snorkeling around Samui is the best that I have seen since I arrived 20 years ago. Tours are starting up, but not in Chaweng. You seem to think that Chaweng and Samui are synonymous. They are not. Perhaps you should look at a map of Samui?

'Chewing Beach resembles Dresden, post 1945.' You are confused here. There are no beaches in Dresden. (And it is Chaweng.) Your photo of Chaweng beach is NOTHING like Dresden after the bombing.

'it appears that project is abandoned,' So let us now look at this little bit of frivolity.

From what I have seen on Samui, this is what will happen.

They have a team working on the island installing new drains. (Well done Samui.)

They have finished the drains in Chaweng and are now working in Bophut, Maenam, Plai Laem etc.

When the 'drain team' have finished, they will bring in the 're-surfacing team'. (Different skills and different machines.)

This bit should not surprise you - it will not happen quickly. When the re-surfacing team is ready for its job, it will probably be rainy season.

For once, please try and look at Samui (the island) and not Chaweng (one village). Samui is a great place to live and to visit. Chaweng - well, we will leave that one for you. You seem to be the expert on it.

Don't mean for this to be personal. I lived on Samui for 9 years, so I do know a bit about it. And I visit often. I currently have a few friends living there, and they all find it very depressing right now, with all of the closed shops, closed restaurants and hotels, and the typically stunning lack of local pride.

I know that does not fit neatly into your narrative, but these are guys I am close to, and they do not say these things lightly. 

On 6/21/2020 at 5:04 PM, lootarzoon said:

Forget about high season anymore for at least 2 years. We can only start to see the economical damages,chaweng is leading towards being a ghosts town with closings and bankrupcies

I just don't agree with this narrative. After being cooped up for half a year, I think anyone with money for a holiday will take one! And there will be a few. 

• Like 1

Chaweng and Lamai are both pretty much in lock down !

Beach road in Chaweng is a nightmare and the whole place looks like an abandoned ghost town !

Same for Lamai !

I don't see any reason for anybody to go to Samui right now or in the near future.

After 8 pm you have the island to youself !

Thai markets are busy because the people have not enough money to go to the Restaurants.

Most Restaurants are CLOSED !!! [All around the Island]

Bangrak is as empty as it can be, so is the rest of the Island.

A bit of honesty is what is really missing on this Island - as can be seen by comments that

try to suggest that Samui is a place to go to right now.

It simply is not !

... and I am on Samui !!!

36 minutes ago, brain150 said:

Beach road in Chaweng is a nightmare and the whole place looks like an abandoned ghost town !

Same for Lamai !

I don't see any reason for anybody to go to Samui right now or in the near future.

Thai markets are busy because the people have not enough money to go to the Restaurants.

A bit of honesty is what is really missing on this Island - as can be seen by comments that

It simply is not !

Chaweng Beach and Lamai certainly are very quiet. But other areas are actually quite busy. Loads of mainlanders on Samui now who grab the opportunity to stay at a luxury beachfront resort at up to 75% off. 

I took the Seatran ferry to Donsak yesterday and I was amazed to see ferries running every 30 minutes because it was so busy, in stead of every hour as is normal, and only every 2 hours just last month. 

Will take the ferry back to Samui tomorrow and will update how busy it is then.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, brain150 said:

I manage a number of villas.

About 25 of them are active rental villas.

At the moment, only 4 are vacant. They are vacant because the owners do not want to drop the prices.

The other 21 villas all have guests. About half of them are short term (2 - 3 days) 'domestic' visitors who are making the most of the low prices. We are turning away enquiries.

There are reasons to visit Samui as long as you are not a bar-fly or like to be deafened by loud music. People go to Chaweng and Lamai for that and they are dead. I suspect that they will stay that way until at least next year.

The seas are perfect and the beaches are empty. Just how some people like them.

All of the restaurants that we recommend are open. Selling good food at reasonable prices. We do not usually recommend 'tourist' restaurants

Bangkok Airways has already had to put on an extra flight every day. Mind you, most of our short term guests are driving here.

I can only describe the Samui that I see and work in and people are coming here.

You, along with some others, are looking for one thing. Other people are looking for something else. They are finding it on Samui as it is now. Many of the villas have guests that have been here since before the lock-down and they are happy here. They are not rushing to leave.

There is no honesty missing in my posts. Numbers speak for themselves.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brain150 said:

Same for Lamai !

It simply is not !

Exactly what I am hearing from people living there, and all around Thailand, much different than business owners who are trying to paint a rosy picture. They all say the same thing, you made the best decision going home, there is nothing there, very few people around, no vibe, dead as a dodo. Things back home are basically normal, . I was told I was panicking when I left. 

No curfews back home, no booze bans, no line ups for food. Life is great. Very few people living there are happy if the real truth be known.

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Exactly what I am hearing from people living there, and all around Thailand, much different than business owners who are trying to paint a rosy picture. They all say the same thing, you made the best decision going home, there is nothing there, very few people around, no vibe, dead as a dodo. Things back home are basically normal, . I was told I was panicking when I left. 

No curfews back home, no booze bans, no line ups for food. Life is great. Very few people living there are happy if the real truth be known.

We that lives here – on Samui – however see every day what daily life is like, and it's actually quite great, and was it all through the lockdown period, if you are not into business depending on tourism, or a stranded migrant worker; however the last ones we have been helping through among others the society Sisters On Samui (SOS), that kindly organize free food supplies, and other needs.

A number of people were "stranded" here – most seems to be here voluntary – and they don't look like being in a hurry to leave. There was a few weeks with no alcohol sale, as it was all over the nation, and curfew at night, where most people anyway sleep or stay home, so if you are not a heavy drinker or addicted to nightlife, not a serious problem; not even for me, and I'm normally out in party-nightlife three nights a week. Take-away food from numerous of the restaurants without line-up – including several-star resorts – during the relative short lockdown; or direct delivery at your home. Local life continued; traffic on roads, but less than high season, which is only nice; lots of people outside; and nice beach-life that in daytime is fairly private, in afternoon and evening busy, seems as busy as usual for this time of the year, which is normally low-season on Samui.

And now with partial re-opening it's a great place, only downside is if you're mainly here for partying and nightlife, but that is closed almost everywhere in the World, so not that different. Beer Bars have anyway not been a great issue on Samui for quite some years – only few visitors would head here for that – but some pubs also serving food has been open for a while, including a number of the cozy places by the beaches, including otherwise deserted Chaweng, where I noticed "Moonrise" had almost full house of mainly foreigners around 5pm when I walked the beach a few days ago.

However, those into Chaweng's party life, or Lamai's bar life – or commuting to the monthly Full Moon Party – might be (very) disappointed over Samui at present. Otherwise things "are basically" pretty "normal"...????

Taking the ferry from Donsak to Samui now. I haven’t seen it this busy here for a loooong time. People without reservation who arrive now (3PM), are being turned away as all ferries until 7:30PM are full, and they are running every 30 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, Birdman said:

Smaller Thai owned hotels are opening now. They are hoping to make business with domstic tourists. Tha bigger ones still closed. 

Chaweng beach road is completely empty. Wonder why they don't finish building that road. Now would be perfect. 

Places like Plai Laem market full like before Corona. 

Personally I liked the first April weeks. Could stay like that forever

My GF told me that on the Samui webpage (Facebook page?), everyone is complaining and asking the same question: Why don't they get a move on and finish the works on Chaweng Beach Road while it is quiet?

21 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Your opinion but not true.

I believe there are currently three distinct groups of westerners here on Samui (and surrounding islands).

There are those that are/were employed or self-employed relying on tourists for their incomes.

Sadly, they are struggling to make ends meet. (Dive schools come to mind).

There are of course others like Tropicalevo who don't rely solely on westerners for income and are not being materially affected.

There are those who came here on holiday but are stuck here unable to go home with visa extensions granted until the end of July, again, some struggling with little money for living.

(Yes, I know limited flights are available for some).

Finally there are the many ex-pats (like me) living here and thoroughly enjoying our life here regardless of whether or not the islands have tourists coming.

I love the quiet beaches, the quieter roads etc. but I also enjoy better times when the place is full of tourists. It makes me feel like I am on one long holiday and so many tourists when I meet them in bars say how lucky we are to be able to enjoy retirement on such a beautiful island.

Maenam beach.jpg

If you are a monk or a priest it is great, I also believe that some people like things quiet, but people don't go on holiday to come to a deserted island that resembles a morgue. There are many YouTube videos from all over Thailand. And speaking with people there, no it's not to there liking. 

But im happy you're enjoying things. My friends are not relics, enjoy a beer or 2 , and I did happen to be there, would I like to be there now? Not a farking chance! I truly beleive most retirees etc, are second and thirdly guessing what their retirement dreams have become. 

• Sad 1

I have been told that Ark Bar is open and somewhere in Bangrak was playing loud music last night well past midnight (Chi?).

Looks like bar owners are not waiting for the official phase 5 relaxing.

These places would not be open if there were no customers???

Hey - Samui is not going to be like it was before covid for at least a couple of years. Same as for Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok and other places all over Thailand

We are receiving enquiries for later on this year. Mostly from families and for longer than a week or two but they are all waiting to know when they can come here.

Is Samui open for business? Hell yes.

Is the entertainment area in Chaweng open for business? Hell no. And it won't be for some time.

• Like 1

Some July 1st late evening impressions from Chaweng...

Night action in the Old School Bar...

wIMG_0396_Old-School-Bar_CR.jpg.3c9a629213931390699a891c7c19b647.jpg

The parking area behind Green Mango...

wIMG_0453_Car-park.jpg.8064e10dc1f04c2d85a19433358859a0.jpg

The street in front of Black night club...

1927996639_wIMG_0444_BlackGerrys.jpg.9acbd739364a6020a6bc24499c469bbc.jpg

Party in Black...

wIMG_0397_Gerrys-Angels.jpg.eeaf77bd611c20fe7a68e837065259ec.jpg

Some angels waiting for Gery – or just some of Gery's angels...

wIMG_0398_Gerrys-Angels.jpg.ffd85aeda69278def28026dff2f6248e.jpg

More July 1st late evening impressions from Chaweng...

Chica Loca Bar with live band (use to be great reggae music there)...

wIMG_0428_Chica-Loca-Bar.jpg.af8d1eb8574644aa62986659856e2ddb.jpg

Soi Sound, will probably renamed to soi Hard Rock Hotel at some point in the future...

wIMG_0424_soi-Sound.jpg.2212b8b80741c349d1cb82222edcad86.jpg

And a look the other way in that soi...

wIMG_0442_soi-Sound.jpg.c4980a0132b356bc23aafc03bf17f397.jpg

The beach road in Chaweng...

wIMG_0417_Beach-Road.jpg.dd74b4c39f85ffd73cc0ec65e3d907aa.jpg

Soi Solo, or perhaps rather "soi Stadium" now...

wIMG_0419_Easy-Bar-soi-Solo.jpg.06f7b68833eda02c302881db2bd5bb89.jpg

I am very pleased to see so many replies to this topic since I started it a few weeks ago. I had no idea it would be popular! Some great and interesting opinions and perspectives here. I have ready them all with great interest and its an interesting log of how things are gradually opening up!

If people are thinking about coming to Samui by car, please make sure that you book the ferry.

Guests arriving this pm from Bangkok have just sent a message. Arrived Donsak 13.00. First available ferry 17.00.

I went to Suratthani last week and there was a long queue waiting to get to Samui when I disembarked at Donsak.

• Like 2

Saw this comment from someone on Bangkok Post, don't know how accurate it is but it sounds like the situation is quickly getting worse.

I’m on Samui right now, helping a friend. From what I see about half of all the businesses have closed, gone bankrupt. What the story doesn’t mention are the 300 out of the 600 hotels that have closed permanently. There are lines of hundreds of local people to get free food. How on earth is letting maybe 200 tourists per day come here going to save this? And that’s if they can get 200 tourists to wait for their test result for 2 hrs at the airport and then quarantine. Samui is in serious deep trouble for a long time to come.

Edited by Maha Sarakham

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Saw this comment from someone on Bangkok Post, don't know how accurate it is but it sounds like the situation is quickly getting worse.

on the plus side the government is doing a good job of protecting the healthcare system.

All the bigger hotels are also open now. Last Friday no chance to get a car ferry to Don Sak without a reservation. PG now with big Airbus coming in, not Dash. Also flights to/from HKT already since a week.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Birdman said:

All the bigger hotels are also open now. Last Friday no chance to get a car ferry to Don Sak without a reservation. PG now with big Airbus coming in, not Dash. Also flights to/from HKT already since a week.    

Not "all", because all the big ones that closed on "my" beach – and the smaller ones also – are still closed: however some of the smaller resorts might open a section in a week-end if there's demand enough for it.

Where do you stay and see all big ones are open?

????