Samui Open for Business?

Hotels within easy walking distance from where I live  -

Six Senses opened up last week but The Bay (3*) is still closed until later in the month.

I doubt if The Tongsai Bay closed - they used to have guests that stay for 12 months of the year and they are currently offering beach front bugalows for 4,500 THB.

Ritz Carlton also open at 5,000 THB for garden bungalows.

Idyllic Resort say that they are closed but they definitely have guests.

Further afield but connected to Six Senses -

Sala in Choengmon never closed and I understand that the Sala in Chaweng is now open.

Most of the villas that we manage are still full but unless they extend the visa amnesty, August could be quiet. Mind you, still lots of weekenders coming down from Bangkok and guests are arriving from other areas now for a look at Samui. (Phuket, Hat Yai and even Chiang Mai.)

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 10:55 PM, khunPer said:

Not "all", because all the big ones that closed on "my" beach – and the smaller ones also – are still closed: however some of the smaller resorts might open a section in a week-end if there's demand enough for it.

Where do you stay and see all big ones are open?

????

Your home is Menam? Saree, Santiburi, W, Paradise, Fair House Villas, Coast, Napasai ... are not open yet? 

13 hours ago, Birdman said:

Your home is Menam? Saree, Santiburi, W, Paradise, Fair House Villas, Coast, Napasai ... are not open yet? 

I can't see around the bay-corner to Napasai, and I'm not sure about Fair House Villas, but Mitska Wan might be open (there are light); but all others seem closed and the ones I pass on my daily beach walk are indeed extremely closed, together with some unnamed more affordable resorts; however a few affordable accept guests for rooms, but not fully open, so no hotel restaurant service.

• Like 2

I just passed by Chaweng this afternoon, seems like not much change since I walked the beachfront a few weeks ago. This time I just drove down the beach road, but all the resorts having entrance by the road, i.e. the major resorts, and the ones you can peek into like Ark Bar and Al's, are still closed with one exception only: King's Garden has just reopened, the sign in front says "Open 7/7". Chaweng Garden Resort have been open for some time, as I've mentioned in a post before, and also Sala further north – the never closed down – whilst The Library that stayed open in the beginning and closed later is still closed.

Certainly not "all" has reopened...???? 

• Like 1

I drove from Plai Laem to Chaweng tonight. Lots of big hotels open outside of Chewang but....

Zombie town in the centre.

Choengmon - Melia and Sala open

Nora Buri, Eranda Spa, Nora Beach Resort, Anantara, Breiza, Sala in north Chaweng all open.

Then as KhunPer says - hotels closed in Chaweng with one or two exceptions. Many are being re-furbished.

A few bars/restaurants on the beach open but not many customers when I walked by at 18.00.

Chaweng needs foreign tourists and lower rents if it is to survive.

A few restaurants/bars open on the beach road - Delaney's, The Duke, Indian etc but everything on the side sois and most on the Beach Road are closed.

I ate with friends on the beach at OP Bungalows. Very good seafood.

There is more life in Bangrak, Fisherman's village and Maenam. (Lower rents and a local population in those places. No one lives in Chaweng. It is a holiday hotspot.)

Chi Beach Club (Bangrak) is still playing loud music everynight.

Stay away from Chaweng. Visit the other 95% of Samui.

Friends went to Napasai in Maenam today. That is definitely open.

My feeling is that Samui is open but Chaweng is closed.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, Tropicalevo said:

My feeling is that Samui is open but Chaweng is closed.

May very well be the case, but I think a lot of visitors feel that Samui = Chaweng.  I've personally never been a fan of the area, I preferred the Choeng Mon to Maenam area better.

• Like 1

Tonight I went to a friend's bar in Maenam to watch the F1.

Bangrak was pretty 'open'.

Most of the closed bars were already closed before March. (Rockin Horse/Cocktail etc) It is not a 'girlie' or western bar village.

About 90% of the other bars/restaurants were open. Some were busy (Secret Garden/Chi etc) and others were more quiet. What else on a rainy and cold Sunday night?

Salefino is up for sale and I have heard that The Social will not open again. (Greedy landlord.) Everywhere else looked open.

Restaurants were open in the small area of Fisherman's village that I drove through and on the ring road, the girlie and music bars in Maenam were open. Customer traffic was light at 19.00 heading out but they were still open when I came home at 22.00.

Overall view - a pretty average night on a cold and wet Sunday. (Hamilton in his Mercedes won the F1 GP!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Salefino is up for sale and I have heard that The Social will not open again. (Greedy landlord.) Everywhere else looked open.

There has always been bars and restaurants for sale, and some not reopening due to increased rent or lease, that's normal.

There might be little more closed business this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but also due to some owners did not change their concept when the tourism changed; i.e. little less Western tourists coming now (2019) than 5-10 years before, and much higher number of families with children.

I would not recommend anyone to place their savings from hard work in buying a beer bar on Samui, even if the offered price is an outstanding rare bargain...????

• Like 1

Seems like the demand for 5-star accommodation is higher than affordable ditto on Maenam Beach, as Santibury has reopened from today – there are light, and service, and even music and customers in the beachfront restaurant "The Beach House" – whilst the neighboring quite big, but affordable resorts, extremely affordable compared to Santibury, are still dead almost as a Dodo; "almost", because one of them have had one beachfront bungalow longtime inhabited during the lockdown.

20200715CE_Santibury-Beach-House.jpg.5191bec6cbbcb3a1ef2b5c4f57ee05af.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I read through some of the informative posts here.

I will visit Samui from next week (flights booked).

Sounds like the Meanam area is currently at least not as dead as Chaweng?

Basic stuff is available (accommodation, food, convenience stores, scooter rental)?

Thanks for all comments.

Maenam, Bangrak Fisherman's village all open as normal. Scooter rental will be pleased to see you.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2020 at 6:34 PM, khunPer said:

A few photo shots from Saturday 18th July nightlife in Chaweng with excellent party atmosphere and quite "open for business"...

wIMG_0184_Black_20200718.jpg.efc99ae255ffda2a4a0934ac70babefe.jpg

wIMG_0186_Black_20200718.jpg.c5044ab28287cbd224c58b1ce796e5ce.jpg

Thanks for the update.  Is that inside Black club? I assume not enough customers yet to fill Black and Green Mango, hence you didn't go to GM? 

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, that's inside Black Club, 75 percent or more of the guests are Thais – including some of the well known birds from the nightlife – whilst the packed Black Bamboo pub outside, which plays more alien-friendly music, is about 50 percent foreigners, and the other 50 percent mainly are Thai ladies.

Some of the foreigners, and at least equal number Thai ladies, seems to begin the night in the town at Hush, "Samui's #1 HipHop RnB venue", in soi Green Mango – just like before the lockdown, where also Ark Bar's beach party and Henry Africa's were places to start the party – whilst Green Mango Club only has the front sound stage open, and sadly enough it's not that crowded; yes I did go there...

wIMG_0179_GMC(w600).jpg.f0775be11abcd54d978cf7602f34aef3.jpg

However, always look at the bright side of life, if you suffers from claustrophobia, GMC can be a great place on a weekday night...:thumbsup:

The Beach Bar in Chaweng Noi has been open some nights, and when it's open the Black Club is closed – it's same ownership – whilst the outdoor Black Bamboo pub remains open.

Thank you. It's really great to have a 'man on the ground' there to give the real story. 

Funny you mention some of the well known nightlife birds are going out. I thought most had gone home to the family. You think these are the ones who actually live permanently on the island (even born there), or have some of the ladies come back from their family break? ????

In any case, I assume all of the foreigners you see are expats,  given that tourists aren't allowed in yet. 

Edited by CG1 Blue

Went to Bangrak last night.

M & M bar had 15 - 20 people in there drinking whilst I was there. (18.30 - 19.30)

Whilst I was having a beer (or three) four or five groups of Thais were walking by, probably looking for somewhere to eat.

Moved on to Antica Locanda for food. The restaurant was full with a few tables filling again as they were emptying.

So, some villages on Samui are pretty normal and defintely open.

I am sure that things will be more quiet in September but happy if I am proved to be wrong.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Moved on to Antica Locanda for food. The restaurant was full with a few tables filling again as they were emptying.

Glad to hear that, it's a good and recommendable place to dine...????

• Like 2

A light heared observation in this Covid world.

I am told by different hotel staff that Six Senses, Ritz Carlton, Tongsai Bay, Sala etc are all quite full or at least busy this long weekend.

Pulled out of the petrol station to head home and two Food Panda bikes passed me.

They both turned into the Ritz Carlton.

So, even though there are plenty of folk splashing out on the newly-priced rooms, they are definitely not splashing out on the fine dining.

Have a great Sunday everyone  ???? (I started with the Full English at Secret Garden today. Yummy.)

• Like 1

I first went to Samui about 20yrs ago. At the time, Chaweng was hardly a "lost paradise" but there was no McDonalds at Chaweng (had to go Lamai), there was plenty of 150-200 baht per night "fan bungalows", Ark Bar was literally a beached Ark, and P&P was one of the "posh" places. Stayed at P&P a couple of years back for nostalgia sake..... 555.

Converting the 10-20 bars on Soi Green Mango into 3 or 4 super-pubs was the death of the place.

Getting to the point, I wonder is Chaweng close to what it was 20yrs ago?

31 minutes ago, corkman said:

I first went to Samui about 20yrs ago. At the time, Chaweng was hardly a "lost paradise" but there was no McDonalds at Chaweng (had to go Lamai), there was plenty of 150-200 baht per night "fan bungalows", Ark Bar was literally a beached Ark, and P&P was one of the "posh" places. Stayed at P&P a couple of years back for nostalgia sake..... 555.

Converting the 10-20 bars on Soi Green Mango into 3 or 4 super-pubs was the death of the place.

Getting to the point, I wonder is Chaweng close to what it was 20yrs ago?

Ark Bar 20-years ago (2000-2001)...

Ark-Bar-2000-2001.jpg.2569f88f5f3036833ed3ee41a745e1a4.jpg

If you are thinking about Chaweng's night life it's same-same but different (talking about pre Covid-19).

• Green Mango Club is about the same – however I presume numerous of the girls have changed, but some might be the same.
  • Reggae Pub is unfortunately quite dead now, and the bar-area on the peninsula is little less active than before.
  • Full Circle Club has been torn down – they are constructing Hard Rock Hotel at it's remains – and changed twice, first to Sound Club, which is temporary closed (probably for 6 years), and now Black Club, which is it, even right now packed with a queue-line waiting outside last weekend.
  • Sweet Soul Café has recently closed, just before the Covid-19 lock down.
  • The Club – the after-party place after first Reggae Pub, and the Green Mango – has changed a couple of times, first to Solo Bar, and now it's called Sports Bar.

There are still numerous bars in soi Green Mango, including Viking Bar that has been there almost as long time as Chaweng, but a number of the right hand side pubs of the entry merged to Henry's Africa, which is the only "super pub" and actually a quite cozy place with a huge crowd of customers.

Soi Green Mango two more years than 20 ago, i.e. 1998...

1998-Chaweng.jpg.9348259eb5ef1fc221568a528abb8801.jpg

The 200 baht a night fan-only Chaweng-bungalows has long gone, mainly replaced with several star resorts, but a few 299 baht a night places are still available around the island, but not in Chaweng. You can probably still find around 800 baht bungalows there, even some of the old Ark Bar Beach Resort buildings, whilst places like Silver Sand has vanished...

–and also legendary Charlie's Hut...

1593472658_1992_CharliesHutsChawengbeach.jpg.f83bf3dda0be9a781049509b3019a970.jpg

"Lost paradise"it might be in memory for some, I'm not sure today's young luxury-packers would agree to change to old style, apart from perhaps only a few days for the experience of "how the World once was"...????

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Ark Bar 20-years ago (2000-2001)...

Ark-Bar-2000-2001.jpg.2569f88f5f3036833ed3ee41a745e1a4.jpg

If you are thinking about Chaweng's night life it's same-same but different (talking about pre Covid-19).

• Green Mango Club is about the same – however I presume numerous of the girls have changed, but some might be the same.
  • Reggae Pub is unfortunately quite dead now, and the bar-area on the peninsula is little less active than before.
  • Full Circle Club has been torn down – they are constructing Hard Rock Hotel at it's remains – and changed twice, first to Sound Club, which is temporary closed (probably for 6 years), and now Black Club, which is it, even right now packed with a queue-line waiting outside last weekend.
  • Sweet Soul Café has recently closed, just before the Covid-19 lock down.
  • The Club – the after-party place after first Reggae Pub, and the Green Mango – has changed a couple of times, first to Solo Bar, and now it's called Sports Bar.

There are still numerous bars in soi Green Mango, including Viking Bar that has been there almost as long time as Chaweng, but a number of the right hand side pubs of the entry merged to Henry's Africa, which is the only "super pub" and actually a quite cozy place with a huge crowd of customers.

Soi Green Mango two more years than 20 ago, i.e. 1998...

1998-Chaweng.jpg.9348259eb5ef1fc221568a528abb8801.jpg

The 200 baht a night fan-only Chaweng-bungalows has long gone, mainly replaced with several star resorts, but a few 299 baht a night places are still available around the island, but not in Chaweng. You can probably still find around 800 baht bungalows there, even some of the old Ark Bar Beach Resort buildings, whilst places like Silver Sand has vanished...

–and also legendary Charlie's Hut...

1593472658_1992_CharliesHutsChawengbeach.jpg.f83bf3dda0be9a781049509b3019a970.jpg

"Lost paradise"it might be in memory for some, I'm not sure today's young luxury-packers would agree to change to old style, apart from perhaps only a few days for the experience of "how the World once was"...????

Sweet Soul Café closed? That's a shame! I liked sitting there watching the night build up, seeing all the people filing into Green Mango before going over there myself. 

Sweet Soul has been on that corner ever since I first started to stay in Chaweng in 2001 - I think. Although in recent years it has been mainly a Thai hang out.  It used to be a great party place back in the day -  packed out with a good mixture of Thais and tourists. 

I agree Henry Africa is a decent venue. But I still miss the small bars it replaced. Especially Blessing Bar.  

• Like 1