Samui Open for Business?

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I agree Henry Africa is a decent venue. But I still miss the small bars it replaced. Especially Blessing Bar.  

Yes and a couple of bars up was Catcandoo owned by Jay who also opened Catcantoo in Bangrak a few years later. I think Jay moved up to Udon some years ago now and his house on Plai Laem beach is unoccupied and in a very sad state of repair.

• Like 2

No, is not like Chaweng 20 years ago. More like in the movie I am Legend, It is like the street you are living now without people and almost everything is closed.

Btw, now you can have a a/c room at Chaweng for 300 Baht.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:56 PM, khunPer said:

Ark Bar 20-years ago (2000-2001)...

Ark-Bar-2000-2001.jpg.2569f88f5f3036833ed3ee41a745e1a4.jpg

If you are thinking about Chaweng's night life it's same-same but different (talking about pre Covid-19).

• Green Mango Club is about the same – however I presume numerous of the girls have changed, but some might be the same.
  • Reggae Pub is unfortunately quite dead now, and the bar-area on the peninsula is little less active than before.
  • Full Circle Club has been torn down – they are constructing Hard Rock Hotel at it's remains – and changed twice, first to Sound Club, which is temporary closed (probably for 6 years), and now Black Club, which is it, even right now packed with a queue-line waiting outside last weekend.
  • Sweet Soul Café has recently closed, just before the Covid-19 lock down.
  • The Club – the after-party place after first Reggae Pub, and the Green Mango – has changed a couple of times, first to Solo Bar, and now it's called Sports Bar.

There are still numerous bars in soi Green Mango, including Viking Bar that has been there almost as long time as Chaweng, but a number of the right hand side pubs of the entry merged to Henry's Africa, which is the only "super pub" and actually a quite cozy place with a huge crowd of customers.

Soi Green Mango two more years than 20 ago, i.e. 1998...

1998-Chaweng.jpg.9348259eb5ef1fc221568a528abb8801.jpg

The 200 baht a night fan-only Chaweng-bungalows has long gone, mainly replaced with several star resorts, but a few 299 baht a night places are still available around the island, but not in Chaweng. You can probably still find around 800 baht bungalows there, even some of the old Ark Bar Beach Resort buildings, whilst places like Silver Sand has vanished...

–and also legendary Charlie's Hut...

1593472658_1992_CharliesHutsChawengbeach.jpg.f83bf3dda0be9a781049509b3019a970.jpg

"Lost paradise"it might be in memory for some, I'm not sure today's young luxury-packers would agree to change to old style, apart from perhaps only a few days for the experience of "how the World once was"...????

Thank you so much for sharing. Brings back some great memories. Are they from your personal collection, or is there a "Samui Archives" website somewhere? Sweet Soul gone? I never did like the place, not my cup of tea. Blessing bar et al..... haha, that's really rolling back the years isn't it!

I've been to Samui 2-3 times a year every year for as long as I can remember. I was due a trip in March, but skipped it due to COVID etc. But I'll be back ???? - I like in BKK. 

"The Club" and what has been referred to as "Soi Solo" in recent years was a great spot. There's another place there now, is it called Stadium? Not bad, but got nothing on the original. 

"Luxury Packers" - slumming it in premium economy, and getting down and dirty at Amari or The Regent "Old school"..... 555..... that made me laugh. The more I think, the place I stayed first might have been 180 baht a night. "Your Place Bungalow" a couple hundred meters up from a driftwood shack type bar. 

Thanks again for sharing, great memories!

• Like 2

Live on Samui 30 years till now. First time Samui was 85 at Cococabana, next beach after Raja Ferry port. Had a bungi 86, small and very simple, old hammock at tiny "terrace", shower at draw well behind, right in the middle of Lamai infront the beach and the sea, 30 Baht. Best place all time. And besides all the scenery and extremly relaxed Thais, there were young, relaxed and extremely beautiful women from many parts of Thailand, who came to Samui only to be with a hippie farang. They even paid for that.    

Night Life was never an issue. But if, for someone, best place was Green Mango in the 90s. It was just around the corner of the now Petcha Buncha Stadium, in the middle of a dark palm tree forest.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corkman said:

Are they from your personal collection, or is there a "Samui Archives" website somewhere?

Thanks. Unfortunately I didn't arrive first time before 2001, the photos are from a public shared folder with old Samui images, link here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, corkman said:

"The Club" and what has been referred to as "Soi Solo" in recent years was a great spot. There's another place there now, is it called Stadium? Not bad, but got nothing on the original. 

Yes, Solo Club was always fun. I remember they had those rope ladder / climbing frame things where drunk party goers had to get to the top to win 1000bht. Very few managed it though ????. I liked it there because it was kind of open air. Always prefer open air to closed places (like Black Club now). 

Stadium Bar is now at the top of Soi Solo, right outside where the entrance to Solo Club was. It became the main after hours venue after Sound Club 'temporarily' closed about 5 years ago. I've only been to Stadium a few times. I usually tire of the trance style music they play there. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks. Unfortunately I didn't arrive first time before 2001, the photos are from a public shared folder with old Samui images, link here.

Another great trip down memory lane ????

Is there a bit of yesteryear vibe there at the moment? I'm gonna have to drag myself down to Samui next month.

1 hour ago, corkman said:

Another great trip down memory lane ????

Is there a bit of yesteryear vibe there at the moment? I'm gonna have to drag myself down to Samui next month.

Yes, open air places are best, especially when it's not raining.

Here, it's not really "yesteryear" in my opinion – counting experience since 2001 – because Samui is different now from yesteryear.

There are less people at most of the beaches, because there are no tourists, yesteryear there were some tourists and less resorts. However, if you like space on the beach it's great time for visit, but some of the affordable resorts, mainly having Western customers, are still closed, but you might find great bargain prices at others.

20200724_wIMG_0484_Maenam-Beach.jpg.f7cfd79ef1b501711f8dbc69d47febd9.jpg

Maenam Beach July 24th at 3 pm, pretty much "yesteryear"...????

There are little less traffic on the roads, but still (much) more than yesteryear. A major disappointment going down memory lane is that the infamous black holes on the roads has gone due to new sewers and even tarmac surface; so a bike ride might become to relaxed boring, however a number of the sleeping dogs are back on the roads, so still something to look out for, especially at night.

There are more restaurants, and more 7-Elevens, and more of so much else since yesteryear, but less tourists to fill the places.

Don't expect too much from Chaweng Beach, apart from the actual usual great beach, there are no tourists, so most are still closed like a ghost town. However Second Road is busy, and seem pretty normal.

wIMG_0153_CBrach-20200614_w.jpg.bd2b7491e2eef00156f8e5907f09e5f0.jpg

Southern part of Chaweng Beach is busy.

There are fewer beer bars than yesteryear, and those that are open, they are not too crowded. There are in general less folks visiting beer bars, also before the pandemic, and even fewer now. However a few bars were still crowded and with good atmosphere before the lockdown, but even those are not crowded right now; there also seem to be less hostresses.

Many yesteryear party places – like Sweet Soul, Full Circle, Sound Club, Chaweng Lake View Arena, The Club, and Solo Bar – are all gone before the pandemic. Also in Lamai, the well known places like Bauhaus, Fuzion, and Super Sub, disappeared years ago. Some of the surviving, like Ark Bar and Reggae Pub, are still closed; the latter didn't have much crowd before the lockdown, so even then not that much yesteryear. The well known iconic Green Mango Club has reopened, but seems to lack the foreign tourists.

The crowded places right now are Hush Club, and the new Black, where it's mainly foreigners and expats at Black Bamboo, the extremely busy outdoor pub, and mainly Thais, but mixed with numerous foreigners, in the indoor club. That's also were the many of the usual girls are, together with numerous locals, so same-same, but different; but don't expect all the different ones in Black to be interested in farangs...:whistling: 

113818350_2575241112692613_6553799085834

Black Bamboo as it is now, photo borrowed from their Facebook page.

The Beach Bar in Chaweng Noi has been open a few times, and when it's open then Black Club is closed, but not Bamboo. The typical Thai hangout places are however busy and crowded as usual...????

Time has changed the island a bit from yesteryear, but it's still very enjoyable, it's same-same, but different...????

On 7/30/2020 at 5:56 PM, khunPer said:

Ark Bar 20-years ago (2000-2001)...

Ark-Bar-2000-2001.jpg.2569f88f5f3036833ed3ee41a745e1a4.jpg

If you are thinking about Chaweng's night life it's same-same but different (talking about pre Covid-19).

• Green Mango Club is about the same – however I presume numerous of the girls have changed, but some might be the same.
  • Reggae Pub is unfortunately quite dead now, and the bar-area on the peninsula is little less active than before.
  • Full Circle Club has been torn down – they are constructing Hard Rock Hotel at it's remains – and changed twice, first to Sound Club, which is temporary closed (probably for 6 years), and now Black Club, which is it, even right now packed with a queue-line waiting outside last weekend.
  • Sweet Soul Café has recently closed, just before the Covid-19 lock down.
  • The Club – the after-party place after first Reggae Pub, and the Green Mango – has changed a couple of times, first to Solo Bar, and now it's called Sports Bar.

There are still numerous bars in soi Green Mango, including Viking Bar that has been there almost as long time as Chaweng, but a number of the right hand side pubs of the entry merged to Henry's Africa, which is the only "super pub" and actually a quite cozy place with a huge crowd of customers.

Soi Green Mango two more years than 20 ago, i.e. 1998...

1998-Chaweng.jpg.9348259eb5ef1fc221568a528abb8801.jpg

The 200 baht a night fan-only Chaweng-bungalows has long gone, mainly replaced with several star resorts, but a few 299 baht a night places are still available around the island, but not in Chaweng. You can probably still find around 800 baht bungalows there, even some of the old Ark Bar Beach Resort buildings, whilst places like Silver Sand has vanished...

–and also legendary Charlie's Hut...

1593472658_1992_CharliesHutsChawengbeach.jpg.f83bf3dda0be9a781049509b3019a970.jpg

"Lost paradise"it might be in memory for some, I'm not sure today's young luxury-packers would agree to change to old style, apart from perhaps only a few days for the experience of "how the World once was"...????

Thank you for the photos.  There are some more belters in the "roadhouse" bar at the end of Lamai Beach Road.  It's hard to even recognise the junctions the place has changed so much

Nice to see you back dancing in Green Mango, I think my missus is your biggest fan on our somewhat rare outings out there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, open air places are best, especially when it's not raining.

Here, it's not really "yesteryear" in my opinion – counting experience since 2001 – because Samui is different now from yesteryear.

There are less people at most of the beaches, because there are no tourists, yesteryear there were some tourists and less resorts. However, if you like space on the beach it's great time for visit, but some of the affordable resorts, mainly having Western customers, are still closed, but you might find great bargain prices at others.

20200724_wIMG_0484_Maenam-Beach.jpg.f7cfd79ef1b501711f8dbc69d47febd9.jpg

Maenam Beach July 24th at 3 pm, pretty much "yesteryear"...????

There are little less traffic on the roads, but still (much) more than yesteryear. A major disappointment going down memory lane is that the infamous black holes on the roads has gone due to new sewers and even tarmac surface; so a bike ride might become to relaxed boring, however a number of the sleeping dogs are back on the roads, so still something to look out for, especially at night.

There are more restaurants, and more 7-Elevens, and more of so much else since yesteryear, but less tourists to fill the places.

Don't expect too much from Chaweng Beach, apart from the actual usual great beach, there are no tourists, so most are still closed like a ghost town. However Second Road is busy, and seem pretty normal.

wIMG_0153_CBrach-20200614_w.jpg.bd2b7491e2eef00156f8e5907f09e5f0.jpg

Southern part of Chaweng Beach is busy.

There are fewer beer bars than yesteryear, and those that are open, they are not too crowded. There are in general less folks visiting beer bars, also before the pandemic, and even fewer now. However a few bars were still crowded and with good atmosphere before the lockdown, but even those are not crowded right now; there also seem to be less hostresses.

Many yesteryear party places – like Sweet Soul, Full Circle, Sound Club, Chaweng Lake View Arena, The Club, and Solo Bar – are all gone before the pandemic. Also in Lamai, the well known places like Bauhaus, Fuzion, and Super Sub, disappeared years ago. Some of the surviving, like Ark Bar and Reggae Pub, are still closed; the latter didn't have much crowd before the lockdown, so even then not that much yesteryear. The well known iconic Green Mango Club has reopened, but seems to lack the foreign tourists.

The crowded places right now are Hush Club, and the new Black, where it's mainly foreigners and expats at Black Bamboo, the extremely busy outdoor pub, and mainly Thais, but mixed with numerous foreigners, in the indoor club. That's also were the many of the usual girls are, together with numerous locals, so same-same, but different; but don't expect all the different ones in Black to be interested in farangs...:whistling: 

113818350_2575241112692613_6553799085834

Black Bamboo as it is now, photo borrowed from their Facebook page.

The Beach Bar in Chaweng Noi has been open a few times, and when it's open then Black Club is closed, but not Bamboo. The typical Thai hangout places are however busy and crowded as usual...????

Time has changed the island a bit from yesteryear, but it's still very enjoyable, it's same-same, but different...????

Thanks for your usual long and detailed answer. I've read that Samui is now being considered as a potential "testing ground" for the first international tourists..... if this is so, then I won't be joining as an extra guinea pig, but if not then I'll be down in September. Where would you recommend staying? My last 10 trips over the last 2-3 years have been at Baan Chaweng, but I want to stay somewhere that has some measure of "life" i.e. a couple of watering holes to choose from and a couple of places to eat. For the latter, Thai food is fine and fir bars, well I'm not fussy. A half empty beer bar, a sports bar type thing, whatever goes as long as its friendly. I'll take trip over to Soi Greenmango just for a look-see, but if nothing else is open there then no point. 

Sounds like Lamai might be a better option? But really, I dont mind. Guess it's easy to get a GRAB car any time to anywhere.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, corkman said:

Thanks for your usual long and detailed answer. I've read that Samui is now being considered as a potential "testing ground" for the first international tourists..... if this is so, then I won't be joining as an extra guinea pig, but if not then I'll be down in September. Where would you recommend staying? My last 10 trips over the last 2-3 years have been at Baan Chaweng, but I want to stay somewhere that has some measure of "life" i.e. a couple of watering holes to choose from and a couple of places to eat. For the latter, Thai food is fine and fir bars, well I'm not fussy. A half empty beer bar, a sports bar type thing, whatever goes as long as its friendly. I'll take trip over to Soi Greenmango just for a look-see, but if nothing else is open there then no point. 

Sounds like Lamai might be a better option? But really, I dont mind. Guess it's easy to get a GRAB car any time to anywhere.

Various suggestions about island tourism to Phuket, Phi Phi and Samui has been up in the news for several times, but only in connection with so-called "bubbles" with equally low virus spread as Thailand; it has been mentioned if that should be 30 days with no new registered cases, which is the official WHO declaration for being virus-free, or 60 days. I don't think anyone expect something like that before October, and that is long time out in the future in these Covid-19 days, a lot of 2nd wave can happen between now and then.

Lamai is said to be equally dead as Chaweng by other posters, I havn't checked it personally.

Bang Rak is a good option for a place with some life, open restaurants, and open both bars and pubs; but the beach might be less attractive.

Also Bo Phut area – and that is in the vicinity of Fisherman Village, as Chaweng officially also is Bo Phut – has life, but no bars, however pubs in Fisherman Village. Also Maenam is alive, but not busy. The bars, mainly on the Ring Road at either end of the bay, are open, and so are a number of pubs (or sports bars, not lady bars). The Walking Streets has opened again, but lack the usually August high season tourist crowd....

20200730_Walking-street(1024).jpg.18c2f5062b09e0c3012e63f95a13ae5b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I'm sure many will remember the old BBC Restaurant owned by Kiwi Mark outside Big Buddha, this taken Sept. 2005

Samui July to Dec 2005 111 (11).jpg

Crikey. I had forgotton how 'quaint' it was before Mark turned it into the huge place that it is now. Renamed 'The Social'. I have heard that The Social has closed for good as the landlord wanted a bigger dip into their pockets.

Thank you for that photo.

It was originally called Big Buddah Cafe but the village headman told Mark that he could not use the name Buddah. Deemed to be disrespectful.

The two popular, busy spots in the north coast, with today's domestic tourists are:-

Chi in Bangrak and Coco Tams in Fisherman's village. I went to Coco Tams last week. People were queueing to get in at 18.00!

Also, I saw a busy, new night market on Sunday night. Next to My Friend restaurant near Fisherman's village (close to Replay). On the Bophut to Bangrak road.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great replies folks. Bang Rak and Bo Phut sound ok. Not such a great beach, but I'll get a car so Chaweng or Cheang Mon isn't far. To be honest I prefer to see and hear the beach, rather than touch it. And the sunsets at that side are nice (if it's not rianing! 555).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are the Samui authorities so dim they don't realise that it is the ideal opportunity to repair/ tidy up the public parts of Samui. The photos on this thread should be showing work gangs hard at work repairing pavements, sorting out the overhead wiring etc etc etc. No need to answer that as most of us know the answer.

Not only would they be making the island more attractive, they would be providing employment for Thais.

It's not as though they haven't been exploiting the tourists for decades- plenty of money to do the work.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are the Samui authorities so dim they don't realise that it is the ideal opportunity to repair/ tidy up the public parts of Samui. The photos on this thread should be showing work gangs hard at work repairing pavements, sorting out the overhead wiring etc etc etc. No need to answer that as most of us know the answer.

Yes there is a need to reply to that, are you so dim that you fire off such a rant without knowing what is being done right now in Samui?

The ring road around Samui is getting complete new rain water drainage, new pavements, new asphalt, and old cabling is being removed or tidied up.

Chaweng Beach Road is getting new sewage pipes, rain water drains, partially new pavements, and underground cabling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lom said:

Yes there is a need to reply to that, are you so dim that you fire off such a rant without knowing what is being done right now in Samui?

Just stick him on ignore lom, I did it awhile ago, he's a boarder line troll that likes to spout off about things he has no knowledge of ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not only would they be making the island more attractive, they would be providing employment for Thais.

It's not as though they haven't been exploiting the tourists for decades- plenty of money to do the work.

So you dont read other threads about Samui?

I believe you do, as you reply a lot in other Samui-threads, and you therefore must have seen both posts, and photos, about the ongoing work on Samui, including new rainwater sewers and tarmac on the Ring Road, and all wires being covered underground on Chaweng's beach road...????

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Guess you never been to mainland Suratthani. 

Only 50.000 voters on Samui in the province. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:31 PM, PoorSucker said:

Guess you never been to mainland Suratthani. 

Only 50.000 voters on Samui in the province. 

Been to Suratthani many times as sometimes went to bus station to get to Don Sak. Never found any reason to stay there.

I did stay in Queen Hotel near the railway station sometimes, but that's not in Suratthani.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:02 PM, lom said:

The ring road around Samui is getting complete new rain water drainage, new pavements, new asphalt, and old cabling is being removed or tidied up.

Chaweng Beach Road is getting new sewage pipes, rain water drains, partially new pavements, and underground cabling.

You are just annoyed that I think Samui got what it deserved. Carry on.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, khunPer said:

So you dont read other threads about Samui?

I believe you do, as you reply a lot in other Samui-threads, and you therefore must have seen both posts, and photos, about the ongoing work on Samui, including new rainwater sewers and tarmac on the Ring Road, and all wires being covered underground on Chaweng's beach road...????

I don't reply to a LOT of Samui threads, but sometimes a teaser shows up on the right hand side of the screen and I'm sucked in because I used to love Samui, before it went expensive and trendy.

If not for the teasers I'd never be on the subforum as not really interested in Samui any more. Far more interested in the Pattaya sub forum.

It's not like I go on the Samui subforum regularly looking for threads about phone lines being buried.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't reply to a LOT of Samui threads, but sometimes a teaser shows up on the right hand side of the screen and I'm sucked in because I used to love Samui, before it went expensive and trendy.

If not for the teasers I'd never be on the subforum as not really interested in Samui any more. Far more interested in the Pattaya sub forum.

It's not like I go on the Samui subforum regularly looking for threads about phone lines being buried.

Thanks for your reply, but the information mentioned about sewers, underground cables, and tarmac, are all mentioned in this thread...????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply, but the information mentioned about sewers, underground cables, and tarmac, are all mentioned in this thread...????

This being a thread set in Thailand, I take claims of "things to be done" with a very large pinch of salt. Far as undergrounding all those phone lines, I'll believe it when I see it.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This being a thread set in Thailand, I take claims of "things to be done" with a very large pinch of salt. Far as undergrounding all those phone lines, I'll believe it when I see it.

You are wrong again. These are not "things to be done", these are things being done right now but how could you know that when you hasn't been here since last century..

• Like 1