BANGKOK
corkman

Samui Open for Business?

On 6/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, Birdman said:

Smaller Thai owned hotels are opening now. They are hoping to make business with domstic tourists. Tha bigger ones still closed. 

Chaweng beach road is completely empty. Wonder why they don't finish building that road. Now would be perfect. 

Places like Plai Laem market full like before Corona. 

Personally I liked the first April weeks. Could stay like that forever

My GF told me that on the Samui webpage (Facebook page?), everyone is complaining and asking the same question: Why don't they get a move on and finish the works on Chaweng Beach Road while it is quiet?

21 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Your opinion but not true.

I believe there are currently three distinct groups of westerners here on Samui (and surrounding islands).

There are those that are/were employed or self-employed relying on tourists for their incomes.

Sadly, they are struggling to make ends meet. (Dive schools come to mind).

There are of course others like Tropicalevo who don't rely solely on westerners for income and are not being materially affected.

There are those who came here on holiday but are stuck here unable to go home with visa extensions granted until the end of July, again, some struggling with little money for living.

(Yes, I know limited flights are available for some).

Finally there are the many ex-pats (like me) living here and thoroughly enjoying our life here regardless of whether or not the islands have tourists coming.

I love the quiet beaches, the quieter roads etc. but I also enjoy better times when the place is full of tourists. It makes me feel like I am on one long holiday and so many tourists when I meet them in bars say how lucky we are to be able to enjoy retirement on such a beautiful island.

Maenam beach.jpg

If you are a monk or a priest it is great, I also believe that some people like things quiet, but people don't go on holiday to come to a deserted island that resembles a morgue. There are many YouTube videos from all over Thailand. And speaking with people there, no it's not to there liking. 

But im happy you're enjoying things. My friends are not relics, enjoy a beer or 2 , and I did happen to be there, would I like to be there now? Not a farking chance! I truly beleive most retirees etc, are second and thirdly guessing what their retirement dreams have become. 

• Sad 1

I have been told that Ark Bar is open and somewhere in Bangrak was playing loud music last night well past midnight (Chi?).

Looks like bar owners are not waiting for the official phase 5 relaxing.

These places would not be open if there were no customers???

Hey - Samui is not going to be like it was before covid for at least a couple of years. Same as for Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok and other places all over Thailand

We are receiving enquiries for later on this year. Mostly from families and for longer than a week or two but they are all waiting to know when they can come here.

Is Samui open for business? Hell yes.

Is the entertainment area in Chaweng open for business? Hell no. And it won't be for some time.

• Like 1

Some July 1st late evening impressions from Chaweng...

Night action in the Old School Bar...

wIMG_0396_Old-School-Bar_CR.jpg.3c9a629213931390699a891c7c19b647.jpg

The parking area behind Green Mango...

wIMG_0453_Car-park.jpg.8064e10dc1f04c2d85a19433358859a0.jpg

The street in front of Black night club...

1927996639_wIMG_0444_BlackGerrys.jpg.9acbd739364a6020a6bc24499c469bbc.jpg

Party in Black...

wIMG_0397_Gerrys-Angels.jpg.eeaf77bd611c20fe7a68e837065259ec.jpg

Some angels waiting for Gery – or just some of Gery's angels...

wIMG_0398_Gerrys-Angels.jpg.ffd85aeda69278def28026dff2f6248e.jpg

More July 1st late evening impressions from Chaweng...

Chica Loca Bar with live band (use to be great reggae music there)...

wIMG_0428_Chica-Loca-Bar.jpg.af8d1eb8574644aa62986659856e2ddb.jpg

Soi Sound, will probably renamed to soi Hard Rock Hotel at some point in the future...

wIMG_0424_soi-Sound.jpg.2212b8b80741c349d1cb82222edcad86.jpg

And a look the other way in that soi...

wIMG_0442_soi-Sound.jpg.c4980a0132b356bc23aafc03bf17f397.jpg

The beach road in Chaweng...

wIMG_0417_Beach-Road.jpg.dd74b4c39f85ffd73cc0ec65e3d907aa.jpg

Soi Solo, or perhaps rather "soi Stadium" now...

wIMG_0419_Easy-Bar-soi-Solo.jpg.06f7b68833eda02c302881db2bd5bb89.jpg

I am very pleased to see so many replies to this topic since I started it a few weeks ago. I had no idea it would be popular! Some great and interesting opinions and perspectives here. I have ready them all with great interest and its an interesting log of how things are gradually opening up!

If people are thinking about coming to Samui by car, please make sure that you book the ferry.

Guests arriving this pm from Bangkok have just sent a message. Arrived Donsak 13.00. First available ferry 17.00.

I went to Suratthani last week and there was a long queue waiting to get to Samui when I disembarked at Donsak.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Saw this comment from someone on Bangkok Post, don't know how accurate it is but it sounds like the situation is quickly getting worse.

I’m on Samui right now, helping a friend. From what I see about half of all the businesses have closed, gone bankrupt. What the story doesn’t mention are the 300 out of the 600 hotels that have closed permanently. There are lines of hundreds of local people to get free food. How on earth is letting maybe 200 tourists per day come here going to save this? And that’s if they can get 200 tourists to wait for their test result for 2 hrs at the airport and then quarantine. Samui is in serious deep trouble for a long time to come.

Edited by Maha Sarakham

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Saw this comment from someone on Bangkok Post, don't know how accurate it is but it sounds like the situation is quickly getting worse.

on the plus side the government is doing a good job of protecting the healthcare system.

I have noticed a slight increase in ferangs wobbling about on motorbikes of late...

• Haha 2

All the bigger hotels are also open now. Last Friday no chance to get a car ferry to Don Sak without a reservation. PG now with big Airbus coming in, not Dash. Also flights to/from HKT already since a week.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Birdman said:

All the bigger hotels are also open now. Last Friday no chance to get a car ferry to Don Sak without a reservation. PG now with big Airbus coming in, not Dash. Also flights to/from HKT already since a week.    

Not "all", because all the big ones that closed on "my" beach – and the smaller ones also – are still closed: however some of the smaller resorts might open a section in a week-end if there's demand enough for it.

Where do you stay and see all big ones are open?

🙂