Samui Open for Business?

18 hours ago, lom said:

You are wrong again. These are not "things to be done", these are things being done right now but how could you know that when you hasn't been here since last century..

Photos would prove it. Without photos it's just words from an anonymous poster.

Given I was originally referencing the photos on the thread ( post #6 ) that showed the usual mess of phone lines above ( and not a worker in sight ), a photo of the same place with them buried would be appropriate.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That could be just one street. What about all the other streets in the other towns on Samui?

Given I was originally referencing the photos on the thread ( post #6 ) that showed the usual mess of phone lines above ( and not a worker in sight ), a photo of the same place with them buried would be appropriate.

352260909_DonaldDuckLaughing.gif.a9cb2217bef8fe4212e0195a8778b6d9.gif

Edited by Tmoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2020 at 2:27 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Been to Suratthani many times as sometimes went to bus station to get to Don Sak. Never found any reason to stay there.

I did stay in Queen Hotel near the railway station sometimes, but that's not in Suratthani.

Perhaps you noticed the nice roads, tax money from Samui ended up on the mainland. 

Queen hotel is a dump, but you don't have a choice in PunPin. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Perhaps you noticed the nice roads, tax money from Samui ended up on the mainland. 

Queen hotel is a dump, but you don't have a choice in PunPin. 

Queen hotel was indeed a dump, but a lovable dump. It exemplified everything I loved about Thailand- well used, with no pretensions, but had everything needed for a night's stay. Nothing to do in the area so spent a few hours on the internet ( remember when internet was only accessible in internet cafes? ).

Friendly staff, and adequate cuisine in the restaurant.

I miss those happier days in LOS, before it went trendy, expensive and the smile vanished along with sanuk. For goodness sake the immigration actually wanted us to come to LOS, instead of making it difficult.

On 8/19/2020 at 5:46 PM, khunPer said:

You got photos, but you have not been to the island in this century, so you dont recognize the beach road. And you got replies from a number of people living on the island, but unfortunately you seems to be nothing but a ???????? grumpy troll that could not afford Samui after it got trendy – »...I used to love Samui, before it went expensive and trendy« – sadly no longer worth replying posts from. I hope you'll have a great life, wherever you are...????

Feel free not to reply to my posts. Perhaps you should have done that from the start. 55555

The problem with making assumptions about people you know nothing about is that one is usually wrong.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, Tmoney said:

352260909_DonaldDuckLaughing.gif.a9cb2217bef8fe4212e0195a8778b6d9.gif

I take it that you can't provide photos in the same area as they haven't buried the cables there. ????

• 2 weeks later...

Still more business in Chaweng

Sunday August 30th afternoon on Chaweng Beach...

IMG20200830172400_Sunday-on.jpg.59b6a52ec644c60a53e85f3cb7170f89.jpg

–and the pool party in Sin & Be Seen at southern public entrance is open...

873217644_wIMG20200830164111_Sin--be-Seen.jpg.e941434b8eadae757ee9e684158cf509.jpg

Ark Bar has announced that they are open from Friday September 4th with Hip Hop Festival.

3 hours ago, lom said:

I guess Chaweng Beach Road will become a pedestrian street now that the boardwalks are full of obstacles. ????

I was thinking the same thing. Good luck using the sidewalk with a stroller or wheel chair now. I hope they will double the sidewalks in width. Since the road is one way anyway, that one can be made narrower, and still allow for parking on one side. Then again the best would be to just make the entire beach road a pedestrian area, with vehicles only allowed at certain times.

Edited by Gulfsailor

5 hours ago, lom said:

I guess Chaweng Beach Road will become a pedestrian street now that the boardwalks are full of obstacles. ????

Yeah, I was wondering the same, but as it already is a one way road and parked both motorbikes and cars, they might – in my modest logical opinion – be able to expand the walkway a bit and make designated parking spots, but not in front of transformers, leaving space for a walk way around those gray blocks...????

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

And about the hanging wires on Chaweng's beach road...

Take a good look and enjoy the hanging wires in front of Central Festival for probably the last time, they will soon be all gone, as the new underground cables have been finished, and new transfers installed, the box at the right hand side...

wIMG20200827172511_Central.jpg.6b3b5d12d4eccb79d9075f0e70aba4c6.jpg

And here by Soi Green Mango in front of Burger King. The inserted images are the two types of switch boxes and power connectors that are now standing all the way down the beach road, ready to connect the power...

wIMG20200827171549_Transfor.jpg.1ea0b2a8eb38e7546b28d7cf9505f963.jpg

Holy cow what a lack of thought.I think i prefer the wires to the boxes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Swimfan said:

Holy cow what a lack of thought.I think i prefer the wires to the boxes. 

If you've been to Samui in the last decade you would know that you can't walk on there anyway between various clutter on the street right at that spot and other obstacles. I tried pushing a stroller down the the "path" 10 years ago and gave up after 10 mins. It hasn't got any better!!! The cables have got so heavy and low in some places that you can't walk under them without them rubbing on your head. It's not perfect, but I am sure it's an improvement ????

I might have to go down this weekend and inspect it! 555

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 6:20 AM, khunPer said:

And about the hanging wires on Chaweng's beach road...

Take a good look and enjoy the hanging wires in front of Central Festival for probably the last time, they will soon be all gone, as the new underground cables have been finished, and new transfers installed, the box at the right hand side...

wIMG20200827172511_Central.jpg.6b3b5d12d4eccb79d9075f0e70aba4c6.jpg

And here by Soi Green Mango in front of Burger King. The inserted images are the two types of switch boxes and power connectors that are now standing all the way down the beach road, ready to connect the power...

wIMG20200827171549_Transfor.jpg.1ea0b2a8eb38e7546b28d7cf9505f963.jpg

:cheesy:

Unbelievable!

Get rid of the wires by making people walk in the road. They just can't get anything right!

They probably think only stupid people walk, so why would they care?

London has all buried cables, but not a single big box blocking the pavements.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

:cheesy:

Unbelievable!

Get rid of the wires by making people walk in the road. They just can't get anything right!

They probably think only stupid people walk, so why would they care?

London has all buried cables, but not a single big box blocking the pavements.

That is a pretty poor comparison. London v Chaweng.

London has millions of people paying taxes!

Whilst I have not been to London for more than 30 years I think that I still prefer Chaweng. Boxes, wires and all.

• Like 1

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

That is a pretty poor comparison. London v Chaweng.

London has millions of people paying taxes!

Whilst I have not been to London for more than 30 years I think that I still prefer Chaweng. Boxes, wires and all.

Indeed, I'd prefer Samui to London, just not in Chaweng.

You miss the point I was making, which was that it IS possible to put wires underground without blocking the pavement with a big box. However, consideration for pedestrians has never been a factor for Thai bureaucrats to care about, probably because they don't have to walk in the areas they obstruct.

I have no problem at all with burying the cables, and support such if done properly. I also support pavements over cars, but cars apparently win every time- sad.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that the Ark bar?

I preferred the original, but I would, wouldn't I.

If you read the image caption, you'll notice it's a place called "Sin & be seen", which you don't know, as it's a newer place and you haven't been on the island during this century, according to your own previous statement. It's right next to the southern public beach entrance, which the image text also says...????

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed, I'd prefer Samui to London, just not in Chaweng.

You miss the point I was making, which was that it IS possible to put wires underground without blocking the pavement with a big box. However, consideration for pedestrians has never been a factor for Thai bureaucrats to care about, probably because they don't have to walk in the areas they obstruct.

I have no problem at all with burying the cables, and support such if done properly. I also support pavements over cars, but cars apparently win every time- sad.

The problem is water and flooding, so transformers cannot be underground, but cables inside water proof tubes can; therefore the transformers needs to be above flooding level, and as the wire-posts probably all will be taken down, this solutions seems like their only option. However, we don't know any solution to pavements; the work is still ongoing. As I said in my post, perhaps they'll make pavement around the transformer houses, and leave designated spaces for parking cars/motorbikes, as only one lane is be needed after the beach road became one-way street many years ago...????

20 hours ago, khunPer said:

The problem is water and flooding, so transformers cannot be underground, but cables inside water proof tubes can; therefore the transformers needs to be above flooding level, and as the wire-posts probably all will be taken down, this solutions seems like their only option. However, we don't know any solution to pavements; the work is still ongoing. As I said in my post, perhaps they'll make pavement around the transformer houses, and leave designated spaces for parking cars/motorbikes, as only one lane is be needed after the beach road became one-way street many years ago...????

It rains in London too, but never mind, anyone been to Pattaya during a rain shower knows that Thais are incapable of preventing flooding on roads next to the ocean. It only takes a normal rain shower to convert Pattaya Beach Road into a canal.

The logical solution would be to elevate the big boxes so pedestrians could walk under them, just like they are when the wires are above ground, or even better locate them off the pavement. I guess that's too simple and anyway the people that put them where they are probably never actually walk anywhere on a pavement. That's only for poor people that can't afford a car.

20 hours ago, khunPer said:

If you read the image caption, you'll notice it's a place called "Sin & be seen", which you don't know, as it's a newer place and you haven't been on the island during this century, according to your own previous statement. It's right next to the southern public beach entrance, which the image text also says...????

Thank you for pointing that out. I mistook the sentence below the picture as the caption for the photo. As you can see from the copy paste they are very close together

873217644_wIMG20200830164111_Sin--be-Seen.jpg.e941434b8eadae757ee9e684158cf509.jpg

Ark Bar has announced that they are open from Friday September 4th with Hip Hop Festival.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thank you for pointing that out. I mistook the sentence below the picture as the caption for the photo. As you can see from the copy paste they are very close together

You're welcome, but the text below is not as close as the original caption...

–and the pool party in Sin & Be Seen at southern public entrance is open...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It rains in London too...

It's generally known that "it always rains in London", however to both my knowledge and experience, generally not in the same level as tropical cloudbursts, just some silent rain "all the time", so always remember an umbrella...:thumbsup:

London has annual average rainfall of 601.7 mm, Samui has 1,960.1 mm; i.e. three times as much.

The month with most precipitation in London is October with 68.5 mm – all other month has almost the same level of downpour, ranging from 40 mm to 60 mm – on Samui the rainy season-month with most downpour is November with an average of 506.6 mm, and that's almost a whole years London-rain in one month only, following half a year's London-rain during October.

Also take into consideration that "average" is lower that worst case scenario. In 2018 we for example had 338.7 mm in October, 563.7 mm in November, 611.6 mm in December, and 450.0 mm in January 2019; i.e. 1,964 mm – more than three whole years of average London-rain – in four months only...????

I don't think you can compare the rainwater sewers capacity of London with the needed capacity on Samui for similarity – i.e. Chaweng would need more than seven times the London-sewers capacity – also bearing in mind that rainwater from higher areas will run to lower areas by the coast...:whistling:

• Like 2