BANGKOK
corkman

Samui Open for Business?

Posted (edited)

Hotels within easy walking distance from where I live  -

Six Senses opened up last week but The Bay (3*) is still closed until later in the month.

I doubt if The Tongsai Bay closed - they used to have guests that stay for 12 months of the year and they are currently offering beach front bugalows for 4,500 THB.

Ritz Carlton also open at 5,000 THB for garden bungalows.

Idyllic Resort say that they are closed but they definitely have guests.

Further afield but connected to Six Senses -

Sala in Choengmon never closed and I understand that the Sala in Chaweng is now open.

Most of the villas that we manage are still full but unless they extend the visa amnesty, August could be quiet. Mind you, still lots of weekenders coming down from Bangkok and guests are arriving from other areas now for a look at Samui. (Phuket, Hat Yai and even Chiang Mai.)

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 10:55 PM, khunPer said:

Not "all", because all the big ones that closed on "my" beach – and the smaller ones also – are still closed: however some of the smaller resorts might open a section in a week-end if there's demand enough for it.

Where do you stay and see all big ones are open?

🙂

Your home is Menam? Saree, Santiburi, W, Paradise, Fair House Villas, Coast, Napasai ... are not open yet? 

13 hours ago, Birdman said:

Your home is Menam? Saree, Santiburi, W, Paradise, Fair House Villas, Coast, Napasai ... are not open yet? 

I can't see around the bay-corner to Napasai, and I'm not sure about Fair House Villas, but Mitska Wan might be open (there are light); but all others seem closed and the ones I pass on my daily beach walk are indeed extremely closed, together with some unnamed more affordable resorts; however a few affordable accept guests for rooms, but not fully open, so no hotel restaurant service.

• Like 2

I just passed by Chaweng this afternoon, seems like not much change since I walked the beachfront a few weeks ago. This time I just drove down the beach road, but all the resorts having entrance by the road, i.e. the major resorts, and the ones you can peek into like Ark Bar and Al's, are still closed with one exception only: King's Garden has just reopened, the sign in front says "Open 7/7". Chaweng Garden Resort have been open for some time, as I've mentioned in a post before, and also Sala further north – the never closed down – whilst The Library that stayed open in the beginning and closed later is still closed.

Certainly not "all" has reopened...🙂 

• Like 1

I drove from Plai Laem to Chaweng tonight. Lots of big hotels open outside of Chewang but....

Zombie town in the centre.

Choengmon - Melia and Sala open

Nora Buri, Eranda Spa, Nora Beach Resort, Anantara, Breiza, Sala in north Chaweng all open.

Then as KhunPer says - hotels closed in Chaweng with one or two exceptions. Many are being re-furbished.

A few bars/restaurants on the beach open but not many customers when I walked by at 18.00.

Chaweng needs foreign tourists and lower rents if it is to survive.

A few restaurants/bars open on the beach road - Delaney's, The Duke, Indian etc but everything on the side sois and most on the Beach Road are closed.

I ate with friends on the beach at OP Bungalows. Very good seafood.

There is more life in Bangrak, Fisherman's village and Maenam. (Lower rents and a local population in those places. No one lives in Chaweng. It is a holiday hotspot.)

Chi Beach Club (Bangrak) is still playing loud music everynight.

Stay away from Chaweng. Visit the other 95% of Samui.

Friends went to Napasai in Maenam today. That is definitely open.

My feeling is that Samui is open but Chaweng is closed.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 11:09 AM, Tropicalevo said:

My feeling is that Samui is open but Chaweng is closed.

May very well be the case, but I think a lot of visitors feel that Samui = Chaweng.  I've personally never been a fan of the area, I preferred the Choeng Mon to Maenam area better.

• Like 1

Tonight I went to a friend's bar in Maenam to watch the F1.

Bangrak was pretty 'open'.

Most of the closed bars were already closed before March. (Rockin Horse/Cocktail etc) It is not a 'girlie' or western bar village.

About 90% of the other bars/restaurants were open. Some were busy (Secret Garden/Chi etc) and others were more quiet. What else on a rainy and cold Sunday night?

Salefino is up for sale and I have heard that The Social will not open again. (Greedy landlord.) Everywhere else looked open.

Restaurants were open in the small area of Fisherman's village that I drove through and on the ring road, the girlie and music bars in Maenam were open. Customer traffic was light at 19.00 heading out but they were still open when I came home at 22.00.

Overall view - a pretty average night on a cold and wet Sunday. (Hamilton in his Mercedes won the F1 GP!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Salefino is up for sale and I have heard that The Social will not open again. (Greedy landlord.) Everywhere else looked open.

There has always been bars and restaurants for sale, and some not reopening due to increased rent or lease, that's normal.

There might be little more closed business this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but also due to some owners did not change their concept when the tourism changed; i.e. little less Western tourists coming now (2019) than 5-10 years before, and much higher number of families with children.

I would not recommend anyone to place their savings from hard work in buying a beer bar on Samui, even if the offered price is an outstanding rare bargain...🙂

• Like 1

Bars, especially beer bars, the last thing in my mind. One likes that, Patong or Patty the places to be.

• Like 1