Samui Open for Business?

Just an observation from the pointy end of the island.

Long weekend tomorrow. All of the rental villas that we manage are full. Hopefully hotels are seeing an upturn as well. Rates are low but that is the market now. Low Season all year round.

It would be nice if the government gave discount vouchers for villas but I cannot see that happeniing.

Thanks for the update on the Ark Bar KhunPer. I have been telling the guests. CHi and Coco Tams still very popular.

90 - 95% of guests are Thai nationals.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Just an observation from the pointy end of the island.

Long weekend tomorrow. All of the rental villas that we manage are full. Hopefully hotels are seeing an upturn as well. Rates are low but that is the market now. Low Season all year round.

It would be nice if the government gave discount vouchers for villas but I cannot see that happeniing.

Thanks for the update on the Ark Bar KhunPer. I have been telling the guests. CHi and Coco Tams still very popular.

90 - 95% of guests are Thai nationals.

Lots of Villas available for amazing prices at the moment on Samui. Shame we cant get there ????

• Like 2

20 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's generally known that "it always rains in London", however to both my knowledge and experience, generally not in the same level as tropical cloudbursts, just some silent rain "all the time", so always remember an umbrella...

LOL. My experience trumps your opinion. I was caught in a downpour every bit as heavy as a tropical downpour, and yet, the power stayed on and the phones still worked.

Perhaps we should just accept that Thais don't always do it better.

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

Now you haven't been to Samui for the past 20+ years – according to your own previous statements – so you might have forgotten that we on this island have regular tropical cloudbursts. But many things has improved since you were here, especially during the last decade the power usually stays on, and so does the fiber; we use optical high speed fiber Internet today, not telephone lines.

Samui as it once was, was an underdeveloped tropical "paradise" with extremely muddy roads during the flooded monsoon season, and electrical power from unstable generators, and later from a power grid that couldn't follow the increasing number of tourists, due to too many people yapped about "paradise". Seems like it's a choice between what some considers as "paradise", or an overbuild more developed island with sewers and stable power grid; both at same time seems unavailable...????

The problem is not a single tropical level downpour – neither in London, nor here – the problem is when you have repeatedly ongoing tropical cloudburst and downpour, for example in the level mentioned in the post your are replying to.

What happens in London if the city get one year's average rain in only four month; that would be an increase of 200 percent, i.e. three times the normal level of rainwater to run through the sewers. And what if the Thames is already flooded due to heavy rain? From November 2019 till February 2020 London did get that much rain, and there was severe flooding and local blackouts....:whistling:

I however didn't noticed any black outs where I live on Samui during that extremely rainy long monsoon period, October 2018 to January 2019, when the island got one years average downpour during only four month, so something seems to have improved since last century...????

By the way, it's only you that talks about Thais and doing things better. We posters living on the island just inform how things are, not that they are better than anywhere else in the World – they are not! – however, neither as bad as some posters suggests...????

I'm well aware of the history of Samui, and why it got ruined.

However, I'm not against better infrastructure, just ridiculing authorities so dumb inconsiderate , IMO, that they put a big box so it obstructs the pavement. There are alternatives, as I pointed out, and no excuses can absolve those that put the big boxes there instead of high enough to walk under or off the pavement.

It's the same mindset by bureaucrats that think it appropriate to jail someone for prodding a fish, while Maya Bay is closed because THAIS caused it to be destroyed by taking too many people there.

Never mind, it'll all help keep tourists from returning to Samui, which means that Samui might once more be a nice place to visit. I hope that day comes while I can still return.

It's an ill wind ..........................................

On 9/4/2020 at 1:20 AM, Maha Sarakham said:

How's the Central Mall holding up near Chaweng?  Past couple years it has been getting increasingly more quiet. 

I'm curious if it's going to survive this pandemic in its current state...

Most of the clothing and general tat stalls outside the food court are vacant and for rent. Upstairs is almost as usual, but very quiet. Black Canyon seems to always have one or 2 tables full. Looks like the True shop is about the busiest. We like Yayoi, and go often, we are the only ones in there each visit, hope they do not close.

But Central Festival is by far the liveliest area in Chaweng, the beach road is still all closed bar one or 2 pubs.

• Like 1

Great stuff khunPer. Good to see Palms open again and playing the live music. 

I'm just hoping the Thai authorities realise the Phuket experiment is a non-starter and let us come back to enjoy all that Samui has to offer! 

My mate wants us to go for his 50th birthday in late November. Sadly that looks highly unlikely at the moment.  

• Thanks 1

I love following this thread, even if it is my thread 555. 

I didn't make it down for the recent long weekend, so now planning ahead for Xmas, possibly from 24-Dec to 02-Jan. I like staying in the vicinity of Soi Green Mango. Bean Chaweng and Ark Bar are recent favourites. I like there because everything is (normally) convenient e.g. 7-11, easy food choices, etc. But from the photo's it looks like I'd be stepping onto a building site or a scene from the Walking Dead? Montien are taking bookings on Agoda, but nowhere else seems to be open for bookings which is worrisome.

Can any of you Samui residents gaze into a crystal ball and make a best-guess on the status at Xmas/New Year? Would it be better to stay somewhere else? I've read some references suggesting the area near the Southern public entrance to Chaweng Beach may be a bit more welcoming?

Presumably I can just book a GRAB to get around, so open to some suggestions.

Thanks guys.

On 9/10/2020 at 6:13 PM, khunPer said:

Seems like Ark Bar is only open in weekend, i.e. Friday and Saturday from 4 pm till midnight, which is also what their Facebook page says...

119078648_10157151910896442_527636929667

I text them a few days ago to ask about staying there, but they said closed until further notice and only open in afternoon-evening, as yiu mention above.

How about Hush etc. across the road? Are they open a bit later these days?

8 hours ago, corkman said:

Montien are taking bookings on Agoda, but nowhere else seems to be open for bookings which is worrisome.

Be careful placing bookings with Agoda at the minute, a friend and myself just did a round trip from Samui to Phuket and back on the bikes, we booked our usual hotel in Phuket and then tried to confirm the booking directly to the hotel...that's when we found out it was closed. Luckily the manager of the other hotel they own picked up on it and we stayed at that hotel.

Before you make any bookings call the hotel first just to confirm that they are actually open for business

13 hours ago, corkman said:

I text them a few days ago to ask about staying there, but they said closed until further notice and only open in afternoon-evening, as yiu mention above.

How about Hush etc. across the road? Are they open a bit later these days?

Yes, the Ark Bar hotel section is closed, it's only the pool & beach party that is open during weekends. But there are a number, not many, of other resorts by the beach road that are open, and some might offer great bargain prices. Chaweng Garden Resort opposite the closed Hard Rock Café/Hooters (soi Sound) is open.

Hush is open every night from about 10 pm til 1.30 am. Green Mango Club is also open till around 2 am, and further back, behind soi Green Mango, there will normally be full house in Black Club till late, and lots of foreigners in Black Bamboo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, corkman said:

Can any of you Samui residents gaze into a crystal ball and make a best-guess on the status at Xmas/New Year? Would it be better to stay somewhere else? I've read some references suggesting the area near the Southern public entrance to Chaweng Beach may be a bit more welcoming?

There is long time to Christmas in these Covid-19 day; i.e. if something opens up for snowbirds things could change.

The southern public beach entrance area – apart from the public beach road and "Sin & Be Seen" on the corner – seems quite dead. A long stretch is a, at the moment abandoned, building site with reconstruction of Centara, but further south of that a few resorts have reopened (I walked all way down to First House two weeks ago).

wIMG202008301651_Centara-beach.jpg.5fb82a239bf480046fb52358ec86144b.jpg

Looking north on the southern beach in front of Centara that is under rebuilding.

wIMG202008301701_Chaweng-south.jpg.a660a9d0f63f45ad3b4f4830d8c153d9.jpg

Looking north from almost the most southern end of Chaweng Beach, a few resorts have reopened here.

There are about three resorts open between the southern entrance and up north to about Chaweng Garden/Ark Bar. I've not been further up by the beach the last few weeks, but about a month ago there were also a few open places up there, and of course the bargain offers at Sala...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 7:36 PM, khunPer said:

wIMG202008301701_Chaweng-south.jpg.a660a9d0f63f45ad3b4f4830d8c153d9.jpg

Looking north from almost the most southern end of Chaweng Beach, a few resorts have reopened here.

Ah, I see they are engaged in that typical resort owners activity, illegally encroaching the beach. Who cares though- it's not as though anyone visits to use the beach, do they?

With <deleted> activity like this happening all the time they deserve to go broke, IMO.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, I see they are engaged in that typical resort owners activity, illegally encroaching the beach. Who cares though- it's not as though anyone visits to use the beach, do they?

With <deleted> activity like this happening all the time they deserve to go broke, IMO.

Probably not "illegal", as after the 2004-tsunami disaster all beaches around Samui has been checked by it's owner, the Marine Department. Everybody with illegal beach front structures needed to go through a court case and pay fine for illegal beach constructions, some owners even paid huge fines. Later the owner of land facing the beach could apply for permission to make erosion protection by the Marine Department, including full architect drawings and engineer calculations of stability, and in case of the protection were build outside the owners chanute-title land deed-edge, which might be necessary in some cases, an annual rent need to be paid to the Marine Department.

The size of the sand on Samui's beaches change over the year depending of sea current and monsoon, where the Western monsoon, that gives Phuket rain in the summer period, also change the sea in the Gulf and moves sand on Samui's beaches, whilst the typical north-eastern monsoon storm during November and December moves the same sand in opposite direction. Some times of the year a beach can be wide, whilst other time of the year the same beach can be extremely narrow, furthermore the tide also makes beaches narrow or wide, and during the autumn-monsoon water is pressed into the southern part of the Gulf, which gets has an in general slightly higher sea level.

The metadata for the picture in question is 30th August 2020 at 17:01 (5 pm), the tide calendar for Samui for 30th August 2020 said low tide at 07:27 with 0.96 m, and high tide at 21:19 with 2.22 m (the heights of water is predicted above the lowest water level). 5 pm is only 4 hours from 9 pm with a tide more than 2 meter over the lowest sea level, so a fairly flat beach like in Chaweng Bay could be narrow by that time. Perhaps you remember the changes of the beach width from your time in front of Ark Bar?

So it's IMHO very wrong to say that owners following the rules, "deserve to go broke"...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1