How it works having a baby in Thailand?

scoteng

On 6/19/2020 at 11:13 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe first you should improve your communication with your Thai partner.

I have 2 kids here, both when I was unmarried. I am on both birth certificates with only a copy of my passport.  Both got UK passports whilst I was unmarried, at no time was i asked for a DNA test . However I was here at both births.

Loads of posts on here giving you advice. Personally I'd start with the one quoted above.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dimitriv said:

My daughter was born in december last year. I am not married with the mother, but I was in the hospital when my daughter was born.

The only thing we needed was a copy of my passport. We wrote my name in Thai letters on a piece of paper.

The hospital registered the child. A couple of days after the birth the hospital gave us the birth certificate.  The child has my last name (family name) on the birth certificate. And I am on the birth certificate as the father. The information I read about this was confusing and contradicting. Some people said that the child could not have my family name because we are not married. 

But...  Your name on the birth certificate means almost nothing if you are not married.  You have no legal rights, completely nothing. If you want to be legally the father you can do several things. Marriage will solve all problems. The second possibility is to go to court. Court can ask for prove like a DNA test. There are more ways to do this. If the child is older and can agree that you are the father you do not need to go to court. There is a lot you can find about this online. It's also not important now, because there is not much you can do about this when you are not in Thailand.

The only thing you have to do now is to give her a copy of your passport. Probably a scan of your passport by email will be enough. She can print it here. She has to make sure that the hospital understands that the child must get your last name, and that you must be registered as the father on the birth certificate. It is also important to use a good "translation" of your name in Thai letters.

I read in a previous post here about "certified translation of the front page of your passport". But we only had a simple copy of my passport, not certified and not translated. My passport does have English descriptions for all fields like "name", "birth date" etc. So maybe that is why we didn't need a translation. Maybe you can ask her to call to the hospital, and ask what they need. 

Reading this, I remember the nurse telling my Mrs our son couldn't be registered as Thai cos I was Foreign...of course we did with no problems...just shows how misinformation can be given sometimes

On 6/19/2020 at 10:21 AM, Pilotman said:

Duh, the issues are exactly the same, in proving paternity to the UK authorities.  I would have thought that was obvious. The man is looking for help, not snide comments. 

Issue is not entirely the same as in the Ph. divorce is illegal........

13 hours ago, khunPer said:

I'm father to a Thai child – well half Thai. as I'm Scandinavian and mum is Thai – I can enlighten you about what I had to do.

You need a certified translation of the front page of your passport, it's mainly the name that is important. This will be needed both for placing you as father on the birth certificate, and for the baby to have your family name.

The first name of the child need to be a name that is approved, or rather not in the "black book". Western names are not a possibility as they are prohibited, but often used as nick name or short name. Agree with the mum which name, or name possibilities, is going on the birth certificate; you can be lucky that they don't find your preferred name for the child in the "black book"; I was.

Having you name on the birth certificate don't make you a legal father, unless you are a married couple. You seem to be unmarried since you write "partner"and not "wife" in your opening post. I was not married, the mom is still my girlfriend.

If you are NOT married then for a small child you will need a DNA test to prove father-ship, and it need, to my knowledge, to be settled in the family court. As I didn't use that when my girlfriend gave birth, I cannot help with details, but you need the be verified as father to obtain dual nationality. The British embassy in Bangkok can help you, they might even have information on their homepage.

You can however always have it approved later that you father, which was what I did, as my country didn't allow a child from a foreign mother, not married to the father, to have my nationality; the law changed after a judgement by the EU court. If the child is below seven years of age you need a DNA test. If the child is seven years old it's easy; you just go to the local district office (amphor) together with the mother and the child, and all three of you shall state that you are the father. The amphor office will issue a legal certificate, which you can have translated to English, and legalized by the Foreign Ministry in Bangkok.

A child born in Thailand from a Thai parent (mother) will be issued a Thai national ID-number. There are to my knowledge no ID-cards for minors, the child need to be seven years old to obtain an ID-card. A copy of the birth certificate can be used instead, or a pasport of course. Anyway, get a certified English translation made of the birth certificate, even worth having it legalized, as you will need that to obtain British nationality now, or later.

Wish you good luck with your family...????

I don't understand what this is about Western names not being possible. Both my daughters have Western first, middle and surnames, both born in Thailand to a Thai mother. First one born before we were married and second one after marriage. All done very easily with no Dna tests etc etc, and both received dual nationality at birth with very little fuss. (Thai/Australian)

3 hours ago, patongphil said:

I don't understand what this is about Western names not being possible. Both my daughters have Western first, middle and surnames, both born in Thailand to a Thai mother. First one born before we were married and second one after marriage. All done very easily with no Dna tests etc etc, and both received dual nationality at birth with very little fuss. (Thai/Australian)

Thanks for your reply.

Dual nationality has to do with the second country, and that can be different procedures depending of which country; my home country is quite difficult.

It's commonly known that foreign first names are not accepted for Thais on a birth certificate – I think especially some Western names, from what I've read of posts about it – which I experienced myself when having the birth certificate made at the tessa ban office, where they hardly tried to find similarities to our chosen name, but gave up and accepted it with smiles – after I helped them with installing software on the computer system for their new cameras...????

When married you don't need any additional verification for being the legal father.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

.....It's commonly known that foreign first names are not accepted for Thais on a birth certificate – I think especially some Western names, from what I've read of posts about it..........

That was not my experience.  I have 5, 3 & 2 yo youngsters with Thai mum and they all have as american names as can be had.  No question or resistance from anyone with what we put on the birth certificate application after the birth.

I do recall having of read of names needing official approval but wife said "no pobwem, teelak" so no more concern was given to it.

• Like 1

Had both children unmarried in 20 06 and 2007. Just gave the hospital a copy of my passport, and my now wife gave them a Thai spelling of my surname which is the same spelling we now use for everything. The hospital asked her how to spell it. English first name for the children was no issue at any point. I'm on both birth certs as the father. 

Don't really get what the op is going on about regarding DNA etc. 

Ymmv

On 6/20/2020 at 8:08 PM, khunPer said:

The first name of the child need to be a name that is approved, or rather not in the "black book". Western names are not a possibility as they are prohibited, but often used as nick name or short name.

When we registered my daughter it was handled by two officials. The junior, a man with a scowl like a bulldog chewing a wasp, refused to accept the name "Lucy" as it was not in the book. The senior, a lady, who was enjoying holding the baby, asked me what the name "Lucy" meant, I explained it meant light, from the Latin "luce". She said that is fine, filled in a form which she then stapled into the back of the book. "Lucy" is phonetically written in Thai script on her birth certificate.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply.

Dual nationality has to do with the second country, and that can be different procedures depending of which country; my home country is quite difficult.

It's commonly known that foreign first names are not accepted for Thais on a birth certificate – I think especially some Western names, from what I've read of posts about it – which I experienced myself when having the birth certificate made at the tessa ban office, where they hardly tried to find similarities to our chosen name, but gave up and accepted it with smiles – after I helped them with installing software on the computer system for their new cameras...????

When married you don't need any additional verification for being the legal father.

We were married before my wife became pregnant, so I was the legal father in Thailand's eyes. I missed being here for my daughter's birth by two weeks, as the doctor said my wife would need a c-section because of the baby's size. I was put on the birth certificate as the father, with my daughter having my last name, and her name is Polly, an English derivative of Molly, a form of Mary, and she has Spartacus' wife's name as a middle name, something Thai's don't have. Not a "western" name per se, but I've never heard of names having to be legal or by the book.

• Like 1

First of all congratulations on becoming a father. I hope your child is going to be healthy.

a proven analylis of my DNA

They should make this mandatory in every country, but especially in the Western World. I absolutely LOVE it.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Feel for the OP have not read all the rants but if someone realised this chap likely wants to be here but given the situation he is in a rock and a hard place. Give his Mrs a break it may be her first child or and she may be alone or she could just be getting rubbish advice from professionals and don't pretend that never happens here.

I was put on the BC with none of that. Maybe a passport but I opted to have his surname as his mother's family name, not mine. (Adopted, stepfather name, no chance) I think there may be a few benefits to that Thai name too if he stays in Thailand.

Best wishes.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, scoteng said:

She's told me that I need to send to her a certifcate of residence, proof of employment letter, certified copy of my passport, and a proven analylis of my DNA. Now I've got the first three things sorted, but proven analylis of my DNA?

None of this is required.

Send her a photo of your passport info page, they only need that to spell your name correctly, and put your passport number on the birth certificate. Normally they want the official Thai version of your name for the birth certificate, if you already have it on another document (marriage certificate), send them a copy of that.

In Thailand a lady can put any name she likes as the father on a birth certificate, it means nothing, there are no checks.

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, fredwiggy said:

as the doctor said my wife would need a c-section because of the baby's size.

More BS to extract money from the unwary foreigner.

My small woman produced the largest baby they ever saw ......... no cutting, anywhere.

My wife was offered care as all Thais are here, either free of charge or very low. I'm not unwary by any means. The doctor said she was too big, and she had a c-section previously. C-sections aren't about making money but safety for the child and mother. Yes, anyone can give birth naturally, but sometimes it causes trauma to one or the other or both. Many babies and mothers are saved using a c-section.My daughter at 8 months was born at almost 5 kilos, so think what she would have weighed a month later, in a woman weighing a normal 55kilos.

Edited by fredwiggy

you  put  your  left  foot  in, your  left  foot  out,  in out  in  out shake it  all  about, well from memory anyway, no wonder the Wife never  got  pregnant and by  god my feet stink

On 6/22/2020 at 5:40 AM, bermondburi said:

Had both children unmarried in 2006 and 2007. ............

Don't really get what the OP is going on about regarding DNA etc.

One simple reason for a DNA test is the verify that you are the Father. 

Prenatal paternity testing available for many years now. 

"A Prenatal Paternity DNA Test using only blood samples from Alleged Father and pregnant Mother that can be performed as early as 6 weeks of pregnancy; a completely non-invasive method to determine paternity of an unborn child"

https://canadiancrc.com/Newspaper_Articles/Scotsman_96_percent_of_women_are_liars_09DEC04.aspx

NINETEEN out of 20 women admit lying to their partners or husbands, a survey on attitudes to truth and relationships has found.

Eighty-three per cent owned up to telling "big, life-changing lies"

Half said that if they became pregnant by another man but wanted to stay with their partner, they would lie about the baby's real father.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

My wife was offered care as all Thais are here, either free of charge or very low. I'm not unwary by any means. The doctor said she was too big, and she had a c-section previously. C-sections aren't about making money but safety for the child and mother. Yes, anyone can give birth naturally, but sometimes it causes trauma to one or the other or both. Many babies and mothers are saved using a c-section.My daughter at 8 months was born at almost 5 kilos, so think what she would have weighed a month later, in a woman weighing a normal 55kilos.

My woman weighed 50Kg and produced a 4Kg kid.

Sorry to hear your woman is a fatty, mine's recently let herself go and matched yours in weight.

Edited by BritManToo

C-sections aren't about making money but safety for the child and mother.

The attitude to a C-section is very different here.

In my home country they do this only if there is a medical need/emergency. Here it was a box we could check on a form. You could choose yourself, natural or a C-section.  The difference in price was very small. Not worth talking about. But that was in a private hospital where natural birth was also not cheap.

1 minute ago, dimitriv said:

The attitude to a C-section is very different here.

In my home country they do this only if there is a medical need/emergency. Here it was a box we could check on a form. You could choose yourself, natural or a C-section.  The difference in price was very small. Not worth talking about. But that was in a private hospital where natural birth was also not cheap.

No c-sections in Thai government hospitals, unless a life threatening emergency.

It's a private hospital thing, and it's to make money.

As the government hospital is free, they don't want to do them.

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My woman weighed 50Kg and produced a 4Kg kid.

Sorry to hear your woman is a fatty, mine's recently let herself go and matched yours in weight.

You have a real absurd sense of what makes a fat person. It has nothing to do with weight and height but body fat percentage. If you look at every bodybuilder, they ,by their weight, would be considered overweight or obese. A woman can weigh around 60 kgs and still be lean. You need to educate yourself about a mature woman and their weight. Even if you went by height and weight charts, which aren't the most accurate because of the body fat percentage part, a woman that's 5'5" and weighs less than 113 is too skinny, and hasn't much shape. If all you spend time with are teenagers and low 20's women, especially here, you get a skewed sense of what's out there. My wife weighs , usually, around 55 kilos, and she's lean, with a terrific shape. I never spent my time having sex with teenagers, even when I was one. If you saw my wife, you would be surprised, as she's a very pretty, shapely woman, especially for being 40. She doesn't eat much, doesn't eat much sugar, and has for all her life eaten healthy, especially for living here, where there is a lot of Americanized junk food around. Most Thai women get fat later in life, but not all. It's because they start eating the American food, and work less, exercise less and sleep during the day. Again, if you spend time having sex with teens, you'll never appreciate what a woman is. I haven't seen you, but I'm sure you aren't in the best of shape, as most men our age aren't, and if you pay for your women, you can't understand what it's like to have one that is attracted to you and not your cash. Yes, they're all attracted to cash, but those with integrity won't sleep with someone just for that, and are superficial users.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No c-sections in Thai government hospitals, unless a life threatening emergency.

It's a private hospital thing, and it's to make money.

As the government hospital is free, they don't want to do them.

A Thai government hospital is where my wife gave birth. it wasn't life threatening, but a smart thing to do, as she was having a lot of back pain carrying my daughter at 8 months. From  what I heard from pediatric nurses in the US they would have recommended a C-section also.

A woman can weigh around 60 kgs and still be lean. You need to educate yourself about a mature woman and their weight.

I haven't seen you, but I'm sure you aren't in the best of shape, as most men our age aren't,

No thanks, I don't want one that big or that old, I didn't come to Asia to bang big women.

You should have seen the 45Kg gogo dancer I met up with yesterday, I love spinners.

PS.

She was 34, not a teenager.

PPS

I'm 76Kg and 6ft tall, cycle 20Km or hike 10Km in the mountains most days.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, BritManToo said:

No thanks, I don't want one that big or that old, I didn't come to Asia to bang big women.

You should have seen the 45Kg gogo dancer I met up with yesterday, I love spinners.

Again, you don't understand. A woman that weighs 55 kg isn't big. It's the normal weight for her height and age, plus the fact her body fat is low. If someone has more muscle than fat, they weigh more. Look it up. I'm not interested in go go dancers. Everyone pays for their woman in some ways. A lot of us take care of wives and tolerate a lot of trouble from them, but the kids we make together and the good times are worth it. Paying  to have sex with someone who will forget you 5 minutes later and laugh about to their other whore friends isn't my idea of fun.   If a woman is athletic, they can weigh more than below, because of more lean muscle mass.

5' 3" Woman  Normal Weight-- -  107 to 140 lbs  Overweight ---  141 to 168 lbs.     Obese---  169 to 220 lb     By height and weight charts   
Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1