what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

Okay... it seems most of you guys think that, for either most cases or basically all cases, obesity is a lifestyle choice. 

Then why do we have all these college professors and other health experts trying to talk about complex factors needing complex solutions, etc. etc.... Are they just trying to justify their careers?  Are they afraid to come across as judgmental and politically incorrect?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BananaBandit said:

Okay... it seems most of you guys think that, for either most cases or basically all cases, obesity is a lifestyle choice. 

Then why do we have all these college professors and other health experts trying to talk about complex factors needing complex solutions, etc. etc.... Are they just trying to justify their careers?  Are they afraid to come across as judgmental and politically incorrect?   

Go to a website to exercise and lose weight. It's not that complex. You just look up your base metabolic rate and eat that amount of calories to maintain, eat less you lose, eat more you gain. Could you be an oddball - the exception THE EXCEPTION to the the rule? Sure you could have some disease, but that is the exception not the rule. For everyone else - eat more calories then you burn and you gain weight. It really is that simple. If you eat bowl of sugar garnished with a doughnut followed by a can of soda and a bag of chips, likely you will be gaining weight quite quickly unless you are an Olympic athlete who is in training all day.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Of course it has nothing to do with Coca Cola, KFC, McDonalds etc. American flavoured terrorism!

let's just say your "American flavoured terrorism!" is ..... whatever. 

EVERY country knows people get addicted to sugar, drugs, cigs, beer, whisky, and they make money off that.

Coffee in Thailand has like 40% sugar.  Snacks like 50% sugar.  Drinks are added with sugar.  food with BAD oils.....everything fried.  fruits with plastic.... NO country is perfect. 

What America also has is sports.  The best athletes.  The fittest HIGH-level military (not overall, perhaps).  And the richest when you look at their size. 

Now other countries make you eat cabbage, food kids hate, and force religion.  and hatred.  and all this anti-American stuff....which is worse than being fat.

maybe you are in Syria.....looking around at all your thin friends.   yea, not a win. 

• Haha 1

I don't understand what business it is of anyone else what size someone is. Far too many nutrition Nazis out there. I eat well, I enjoy life, yes I'm overweight but I honestly don't care. I'm in my sixties and I'll be damned if I'm going to see out my days gnawing raw vegetables and drinking water.

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Damual Travesty said:

Why? Are people unable to make their own decisions about their consumption of sweetened food and 

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to avoid and its use is not always that obvious. It's very cheap and commonly added to foods in the US, which might help explain the obesity crisis there.

• Like 2