BANGKOK
BananaBandit

what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

43 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Really depends on the diet plan. In some diet plans you simply choose the bread calories over other calories that may come weighted with more nutritional benefits. Why would anyone do that? Well, 'cause they like the taste better. In fact, TVF Nutritionists typically defend with religious fervor the diet they enjoy most. I understand that. 🙂

Argument would be futile. I'll merely point out that it may not be quite the settled science one may wish to believe. A couple of dissenting voices:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/whole-grains

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

This is amusing; I like "Wheat built the Pyramid":

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-reasons-to-love-wheat/

That some poster here would be interested in giving up bread or reducing his intake of grain calories is about as likely as a meteor destroying planet Earth in the next 30 days. I'll throw this out there just for skipping stones:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-quit-grains/

As you said the science is not settled yet so I keep eating my grains. There is actually research out that goes counter to the site your posting. So its a matter of what you believe. Id say this the IMHO its a minor thing eating them or not eating them unless your one of those people who have a gluten allergy. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322992#All-whole-grains-are-good-for-you

and more

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-benefits-of-whole-grains

I think we both can go on finding pro and contra sites for quite some time.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, BigStar said:

Bread just begging for oil, butter, and cheese, tempting one to pig out on useless carbs & calories. Merely promoters of greater obesity, those, which undercuts your point. 🙂

Not all bread types are the same.  I only eat bread high in fiber. And with no added sugar. The Scandinavian type you will not find in the US.  Or maybe you will find it in a Scandinavian bakery. 

grovbrod.skiver.jpg?width=1200

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, balo said:

Not all bread types are the same.

Very good. And with different glycemic indexes. Whole wheat bread is still high compared to healthier choices with fiber and more nutritional benefits. You carefully ignored my point about the butter, oil, and cheese topping. Should have mentioned the sweet toppings as well--jam etc.

The main issue here, as it usually is, is simply that you like your bread so very, very much.

1 hour ago, balo said:

I only eat bread high in fiber. And with no added sugar. The Scandinavian type you will not find in the US.  Or maybe you will find it in a Scandinavian bakery. 

Yawn. What we've already wasted time showing at length is that you have absolutely no idea what kind of bread is available in the USA anywhere. 🙂 I'm not going do it for you, but you can just link to a nutritional analysis of your bread and we'll find some equivalents for you.

But congrats on your greatest leap of illogic: obesity in the USA results from the "sad and terrible" absence of Scandinavian bread!🤣

And finally, though you may ascribe magical powers to that bread, it ain't saving Norway:

Norwegian men might want to cut down on the sticky cinnamon buns if a new WHO report is anything to go by. A shocking 76 percent will be overweight by 2030, up from 58 percent in 2010.

Norway is currently one of Europe's least overweight countries, with men ranking 20th out of the 34 European and Former Soviet Union countries surveyed, and women ranking 25th.          

--https://www.thelocal.no/20150506/norways-men-soon-to-be-among-europes-fattest-who

Nor are all those supposedly superior supermarkets. No, they sell only healthy foods. So it seems there's something else "sad and terrible" there, too. Something rotten in Norway, so to speak. It's beginning to look like (cough) just what I said: the bakeries are tempting people to pig out on all those useless carbs.

I love this forum!

Edited by BigStar

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Norway is currently one of Europe's least overweight countries, with men ranking 20th out of the 34 European

And that's a good thing, Obesity you will find in all parts of the world.
My point was and still is the selection in US supermarkets are different than supermarkets where I am from, and I will stick to that. And yes not all supermarkets are the same.  

11 hours ago, balo said:

And that's a good thing, Obesity you will find in all parts of the world.
My point was and still is the selection in US supermarkets are different than supermarkets where I am from, and I will stick to that. And yes not all supermarkets are the same.  

And so then I can stick to informing you that your point isn't any more relevant to this topic than when you made it the first time. How many more times do you need to be so informed?

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

And so then I can stick to informing you that your point isn't any more relevant to this topic than when you made it the first time.

So lets stick to the topic instead of you being so arrogant. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, jvs said:

Like you i have never been overweight,when i was working out a lot i was 6 kilos above what i weigh now and i weigh the same as when i was 16.

I have not read all the responses but i know for a fact you do not wake up one morning and realize you are 25 kilos overweight.

If i gain 1 kilo i feel it and decide to skip a few meals.

I am not poking at people here but to me it really is very easy not to gain weight.

Eating healthy is of course a good thing but even if you eat too much healthy food  of course it will make you

fat also.

None of the posters on here apparently take into account the mental health of fat obese people. I used to care about my weight and stayed at 86kg. if I went over I ate less. I put the weight on when I got depressed and ate lots of Bakewell tarts. When I got married and was happy I lost weight as didn't need to eat in compensation. When my marriage got into trouble the weight went back on.

The point is, if one doesn't care about oneself why would one even try to eat healthy? Losing weight needs incentive, and without incentive who bothers doing anything?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

None of the posters on here apparently take into account the mental health of fat obese people. I used to care about my weight and stayed at 86kg. if I went over I ate less. I put the weight on when I got depressed and ate lots of Bakewell tarts. When I got married and was happy I lost weight as didn't need to eat in compensation. When my marriage got into trouble the weight went back on.

The point is, if one doesn't care about oneself why would one even try to eat healthy? Losing weight needs incentive, and without incentive who bothers doing anything?

No one can make you happy if you aren't capable of being happy. Depression is a <deleted>ty disease, and with treatment, a person can have better days. Eating , compensating for sadness or grief, happens to millions, but eating healthy won't put on the pounds like "comfort" food does. When people start out lean, and get into bad habits , eating badly, then start gaining weight, they start feeling worse. Then they think they're prisoners of their bodies and nothing will help, so they eat more, and they feel better when they eat, so it becomes a bad habit. They turn to food for the answer when what is bothering or hurting them needs to be addressed, and food will only make another problem. The first love a person needs is self love. Without that you can't love others right. Eat and exercise for yourself. It's no one else's business who you are or what you look like. Do things for yourself. You are the one that matters first.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good point, when I am injured and cannot train my wil to follow my food programs goes away. I have known people who were depressed and it is truly awful. People like that don't care about anything. However once it is cured (and it can be cured) its up to the individual to either accept the weight or do something about it. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some people do the same thing with alcohol,i also know some people who were depressed and they just forgot to eat.Being fat because of lifestyle or being fat because of a disease(depression)is totally different.