what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

On June 20, 2020 at 12:29 AM, RichardColeman said:

1% maybe down to genetics.

99% down to fatties stuffing their faces and blaming genetics

For sure, it's poor diet, look at the fatties in Thailand now, so much fast food. Very rarely see fat woman in Vietnam, and hardly see many western fast food restaurants. Thyroid problems? Or such?

total bs, never seen a fatty in a concentration camp. Went fishing yesterday with my overweight friend and his overweight 13 year old son. The kid had 4 sandwiches and 3 chocolate bars by dinner time. 

Sad.

not to mention the strain on the heLth care system treating these whales, and the last factor is they don't live a long productive life.

the vast majority die young. Don't see many if any fat old people. 

• Like 1

As someone who was very obese 3 years ago and now isn't (now minus 20+ kilos), I can tell you that it's 90% what you eat (not how much) and 10% regular exercise, or a similar proportion (don't ask me for a link, it's just my opinion).

How?

Stop eating sugar and processed foods and foods with additives.

Lower carbs as much as you can (gradually) starting with rice, pasta/noodles, bread and potatoes.

Stick to above-ground veg.

Eat and cook with only good fats (e.g. olive oil, butter, ghee).

I eat twice a day in a 6 hour window, practice intermittent fasting and never get hungry enough to over eat.

Sugar is by far the hardest to kick, the cravings never leave.

I would say obesity is very much a lifestyle choice. Eat healthy food, exercise, sleep well, cut down the booze (especially beer) and you will see results within a few weeks.

I now buy all of my meat and any other items from paleorobbie.com. Beef tastes like beef again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

As someone who was very obese 3 years ago and now isn't (now minus 20+ kilos), I can tell you that it's 90% what you eat (not how much) and 10% regular exercise, or a similar proportion (don't ask me for a link, it's just my opinion).

How?

Stop eating sugar and processed foods and foods with additives.

Lower carbs as much as you can (gradually) starting with rice, pasta/noodles, bread and potatoes.

Stick to above-ground veg.

Eat and cook with only good fats (e.g. olive oil, butter, ghee).

I eat twice a day in a 6 hour window, practice intermittent fasting and never get hungry enough to over eat.

Sugar is by far the hardest to kick, the cravings never leave.

I would say obesity is very much a lifestyle choice. Eat healthy food, exercise, sleep well, cut down the booze (especially beer) and you will see results within a few weeks.

I now buy all of my meat and any other items from paleorobbie.com. Beef tastes like beef again.

The way you describe that you need intermittent fasting is B.S. IMHO. All diets work you just have to find what works for you. Some people swear KETO is best others like me are more open minded and believe that all works as long as you eat mainly unprocessed food at smaller quantities.

I lost 25 kg in the past now want to lose 5 again. Just to see nice definition on lower abs. So im lean already. Like you said its 80-90% about food and a bit about exercise. Exercise helps but not as much as one would think.

I like exercise as it helps a lot for me but in a different way. The moment I exercise i tend to be more mindful of my diet. Especially when the results start showing.

I gained the 5 kg or more (already lost a bit) because i could not exercise and got stressed / demotivated and started eating <deleted> food again. Now slowly trying to exercise hoping my injury will go away. 

I buy most of my food at makro and its good for me. 

My worst problem is not drinking sugary drinks.. eating better food is easy for me. (we all got our problems. I think most foreigners have a problem with not drinking alcohol)

16 hours ago, balo said:

Just stop eating and do daily exercises, you'll see results pretty fast. 
Your brain needs to believe in a strict diet.  I stopped drinking soda years ago.  

It's very simple really, avoid all the temptations and after a while you will not miss it. 
In the beginning you can count your calories using a calorie app, you should not eat more than 2000 calories, even can go down to 1200-1500 calories during a period.  
It doesn't mean you can't enjoy a cookie or cake with your tea/coffee, just need to be aware you need to eat less of other food that day. 

It's never too late to change your lifestyle. 

I drink a lot of soda never knew that was bad. Are we talking about the same soda ? I am taking about those fizzy water things usually used for mixing with alcohol. 

Just now, robblok said:

The way you describe that you need intermittent fasting is B.S. IMHO. All diets work you just have to find what works for you. Some people swear KETO is best others like me are more open minded and believe that all works as long as you eat mainly unprocessed food at smaller quantities.

I lost 25 kg in the past now want to lose 5 again. Just to see nice definition on lower abs. So im lean already. Like you said its 80-90% about food and a bit about exercise. Exercise helps but not as much as one would think.

I like exercise as it helps a lot for me but in a different way. The moment I exercise i tend to be more mindful of my diet. Especially when the results start showing.

I gained the 5 kg or more (already lost a bit) because i could not exercise and got stressed / demotivated and started eating <deleted> food again. Now slowly trying to exercise hoping my injury will go away. 

My worst problem is not drinking sugary drinks.. eating better food is easy for me. (we all got our problems. I think most foreigners have a problem with not drinking alcohol)

It's 75% diet and 25% exercise, but the right exercises, meaning resistance training before cardio. Cardio is good but building muscle is more important because the more muscle you carry, the more calories you burn. I was a personal trainer for 16 out of the 45 years I've worked out, and saw many, many people who were on the stairmaster, bikes. or treadmills almost every day but never changed their appearance or body fat percentages because they did very little weight training and most important, didn't change their diets. When I convinced some of those people (probably 100 over the years) to change their lifestyle, incorporating 3 days of weights along with less cardio, and gave them an idea what they should and shouldn't eat, they all lost body fat and kept it off. Fasting is always good, if you do it correctly, as it cleans out your colon.

Edited by fredwiggy

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It's 75% diet and 25% exercise, but the right exercises, meaning resistance training before cardio. Cardio is good but building muscle is more important because the more muscle you carry, the more calories you burn. I was a personal trainer for 16 out of the 45 years I've worked out, and saw many, many people who were on the stairmaster, bikes. or treadmills almost every day but never changed their appearance or body fat percentages because they did very little weight training and most important, didn't change their diets. When I convinced some of those people (probably 100 over the years) to change their lifestyle, incorporating 3 days of weights along with less cardio, and gave them an idea what they should and shouldn't eat, they all lost body fat and kept it off. Fasting is always good, if you do it correctly, as it cleans out your colon.

I think we can debate about the numbers of how much is diet and how much is exercise. But its not really important as its clear that diet is number 1. Can't outtrain a bad diet.

As for exercise I do agree with you (i workout with weights myself lots of compounds). But I have a different view on things. I think people need to do exercise that suits them. Can biking swimming, working out in a gym or whatever as long as they don't hate it.

Like diet there is not one thing fits all.

Like a diet you need to be able to keep doing it as consistency rules. So if you absolutely hate going to a gym then your not going to be able to keep doing it. Even if it is best. Maybe then running or biking is better for that person. 

Just my views as I believe that consistency wins over the best exercise and most perfect training program.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

By intermittent fasting I mean one or two days a month I would say, eat at 4 PM and not eat till the next day at 4 PM. You don't 'need' IF but it has been shown to help allow your key organs to recover from earlier absuses - liver, kidneys and, for me the pancreas's ability to produce effective insulin. If your body gets a holiday now and again from constantly processing a continuous stream of food, it can be a real boost over time.

I do not class my 10 am till 4 pm eating window as IF, it's just my preferred daily routine, sticking to water or tea (or 'soda water' (not soda's like Coke etc) outside those hours. I gave up sugary drinks many years ago. Keto works for me and I find the biggest benefit is the ease of weight maintenance, it's been easy to stick to as outwith the carbs, there are not too many restrictions on what you can eat.

Good luck on losing that final 5 Kg, I am in the same boat as another 5 Kg would be perfect.

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

By intermittent fasting I mean one or two days a month I would say, eat at 4 PM and not eat till the next day at 4 PM. You don't 'need' IF but it has been shown to help allow your key organs to recover from earlier absuses - liver, kidneys and, for me the pancreas's ability to produce effective insulin. If your body gets a holiday now and again from constantly processing a continuous stream of food, it can be a real boost over time.

I do not class my 10 am till 4 pm eating window as IF, it's just my preferred daily routine, sticking to water or tea (or 'soda water' (not soda's like Coke etc) outside those hours. I gave up sugary drinks many years ago. Keto works for me and I find the biggest benefit is the ease of weight maintenance, it's been easy to stick to as outwith the carbs, there are not too many restrictions on what you can eat.

Good luck on losing that final 5 Kg, I am in the same boat as another 5 Kg would be perfect.

I think if your eating healthy and not too much there is no need for the body to have a break. Because its not too much food. But then again one should do what they think is right its their body.

I just eat healthy (unprocessed foods) and lower (not KETO) carbs. Lots of veggies meat and so on. 

The leaner you are the harder it is to lose more weight. You would be amazed at how much you can still lose before you look ripped. Its absolutely amazing how much we still carry around even though no more belly and stuff.

But that is not for health reasons, just vanity and that i want to have a goal to work towards.

Just now, robblok said:

I think if your eating healthy and not too much there is no need for the body to have a break. Because its not too much food. But then again one should do what they think is right its their body.

I just eat healthy (unprocessed foods) and lower (not KETO) carbs. Lots of veggies meat and so on. 

The leaner you are the harder it is to lose more weight. You would be amazed at how much you can still lose before you look ripped. Its absolutely amazing how much we still carry around even though no more belly and stuff.

But that is not for health reasons, just vanity and that i want to have a goal to work towards.

I averaged 4% body fat from age 20 until 50, and only a knee injury which prevented me from doing squats changed things. Yes, that last few pounds are the hardest to lose, as I've gone here from ripped to a little fat in my lower abs on and off for the two years straight I've been here, and that's mostly because of the amount of rice we eat here. When my wife gives me rice, it's enough for a small army and I have to try and not eat it all because even though my activity level here is good, it's never enough at 63 to burn off all you can eat in Thailand (albeit healthy)

On 6/20/2020 at 6:21 PM, fredwiggy said:

If you eat healthy and exercise, you won't go to a rest home. That's a suggestion, not a lesson by the way. I don't like to see anyone in a rest home.

The only way I avoid the "rest" home is by dying first. You really should be more careful what you say.

I have no family to look after me and not enough money for private nursing. How many 100 year olds do you know living independently?

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

I drink a lot of soda never knew that was bad. Are we talking about the same soda ? I am taking about those fizzy water things usually used for mixing with alcohol. 

Unless it's soda water it is loaded with sugar, or aspartame which is worse than sugar.

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I averaged 4% body fat from age 20 until 50, and only a knee injury which prevented me from doing squats changed things. Yes, that last few pounds are the hardest to lose, as I've gone here from ripped to a little fat in my lower abs on and off for the two years straight I've been here, and that's mostly because of the amount of rice we eat here. When my wife gives me rice, it's enough for a small army and I have to try and not eat it all because even though my activity level here is good, it's never enough at 63 to burn off all you can eat in Thailand (albeit healthy)

Now got inflamation on both my shoulder tendons. Before that rotatorcuff injury. So im not a happy camper. It limits me but its slowly getting better. Just rest for 2 months did not help. Did get stressed forgot diet and gained weight.

Now slowly starting no benchpress. Doing band work and other stuff to help the injury. Since i started on peptides for HGH it seems to have improved. Today my best day so far. But dont know if it lasts. Its not as if recovery is a linear process.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

im talking about soda water. Fizzy water. Not sweet.

"soda" is usually interpreted as "soda drink" with sugar. Coke is called soda by Americans and is used to mix with alcoholic drinks eg Bacardi and Coke.

We where I grew up avoid the complication by calling it "soft drink".

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"soda" is usually interpreted as "soda drink" with sugar. Coke is called soda by Americans and is used to mix with alcoholic drinks eg Bacardi and Coke.

We where I grew up avoid the complication by calling it "soft drink".

Yes soft drink that term i know. Soda i only know as the water they sell with bubbles in Thailand.

Thought it had nothing added but i could have been wrong.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Yes soft drink that term i know. Soda i only know as the water they sell with bubbles in Thailand.

Thought it had nothing added but i could have been wrong.

I'm sure it's just water with CO2 bubbles. I thought even the Thais call it "nam soda".

You see you can give up smoking, booze, drugs, etc, as you don't need them to survive.

Over-eating requires altogether a more complex behavioural change needing moderation, which is actually much harder than simply quitting.  Food is everywhere, generally very affordable, and mostly <deleted> these days.

I am inclined to now believe that it is mostly not a lifestyle choice, particularly after learning that weight issues can be caused by antibiotic use (which is unavoidable for most if you don't want to die an early death)

• Confused 2

Looking back, i thought my best pall at 17 was a tad odd. He had no interest at look at me sports. He was the one who drove the Boat whilst we dislocated every bone we could. Never ran marathons or anything Extreem. Now i cant do that show boating anymore at 75, he leads a  normal life, whilst i watch my Diet. Just a thought.!

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only way I avoid the "rest" home is by dying first. You really should be more careful what you say.

I have no family to look after me and not enough money for private nursing. How many 100 year olds do you know living independently?

True in a way, because some do live that long, and injuries make it hard to live alone.

38 minutes ago, robblok said:

Now got inflamation on both my shoulder tendons. Before that rotatorcuff injury. So im not a happy camper. It limits me but its slowly getting better. Just rest for 2 months did not help. Did get stressed forgot diet and gained weight.

Now slowly starting no benchpress. Doing band work and other stuff to help the injury. Since i started on peptides for HGH it seems to have improved. Today my best day so far. But dont know if it lasts. Its not as if recovery is a linear process.

I made the mistake by bodybuilding, but lifting like a power lifter, and it tore my knees and shoulders up. Wish I could go back and cut that out. I still can lift heavy, but I don't much because I'd rather be able to lift then have rotator cuffs that need attaching. Need to join the local (30k) gym here because all I have is a small bench and basic set plus 2 dumbbells and I need machines for a lot of things.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I made the mistake by bodybuilding, but lifting like a power lifter, and it torn my knees and shoulders up. Wish I could go back and cut that out. I still can lift heavy, but I don't much because I'd rather be able to lift then have rotator cuffs that need attaching. Need to join the local (30k) gym here because all I have is a small bench and basic set plus 2 dumbbells and I need machines for a lot of things.

I probably like going to heavy too. Though havent been going under 6 reps for quite some time. But i think i got the rotatorcuff and shoulder problems from bench press. Now doing DB press instead and lots of stretching and warm-ups. 

Gyms can be quite expensive in Thailand. I have a home gym but went to a commercial gym recently. Just for social contact. It was one of the cheaper ones like 1200 bt for a month. But in general you pay more in the city for Fitness First and virgin and the likes. 

After a meal with a friend in Mexico I asked him if he was 'full' (lleno). He told me that is not the way they prefer to phrase it, instead they ask are you 'satisfied' (satisfecho). Because stuffing yourself until you are full on a regular basis is not healthy, and might even be a sign of gluttony. In the past I had that mindset that I would eat until my gut was stuffed because it felt good. Now I might do that 1-2 times per year. Eat slow drink a lot of water with your meal, and stop when you are 'satisfied', not when you are stuffed. It only takes a few days to get used to it. After that, if you stuff yourself it's actually painful and a great deterrent to being a glutton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I drink a lot of soda never knew that was bad.

I am talking about sugary sodas,   I drink ice tea with less sugar or other lite drinks. 
Also I have no problem with a beer from time to time, as long as you are aware of the calories. 

I do not drink beer because I need to get drunk, only one with my dinner, or when I watch a football game. I live a normal life, but eat less food and do my daily exercises.

I am tall 1.90 and weigh 86 kilo. In my 50's now. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, balo said:

I am talking about sugary sodas,   I drink ice tea with less sugar or other lite drinks. 
Also I have no problem with a beer from time to time, as long as you are aware of the calories. 

I do not drink beer because I need to get drunk, only one with my dinner, or when I watch a football game. I live a normal life, but eat less food and do my daily exercises.

I am tall 1.90 and weigh 86 kilo. In my 50's now. 

Not bad, but for me weight and height mean little as I am far heavier and shorter but quite lean. 

But I am lucky i dont like beer, but i do like the sweet drinks. But I have totally cut them out as i prefer to eat my calories not drink them. In my case it really added up. It was one of the few weaknesses I had. That and chocolate. But I just make sure I dont buy it then ill be ok.

• Like 1

I started coming to Thailand in '82. Rare to see fat Thais. Now quite common as fast food has become something of a status thing, and people don't like to walk (true everywhere, I imagine).

Look at newsreels of crowds in the West pre-60's. Rare to see lots of obese. Fatty Arbuckle would be called "slim" these days.

Seems no one sure how many genes are involved with obesity, but probably safe to say many of those genes are activated by what people eat and how much they exercise.

Now people are being called out for "fat shaming" as if it were something like sexism or racism. Sorry Porky, but you chose to get fat and I choose to call you out. Fat isn't beautiful besides being a major health risk and we all end up paying for your choices.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/07/05/world/science-health-world/genes-yes-obesity-pandemic-mostly-diet-study/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I made the mistake by bodybuilding, but lifting like a power lifter, and it tore my knees and shoulders up. Wish I could go back and cut that out. I still can lift heavy, but I don't much because I'd rather be able to lift then have rotator cuffs that need attaching.

Yep. Lifting heavy with lots of sets and reps (the standard stuff) even with good form will eventually cause problems. Very few can escape. It's SO not a good idea, unnecessary, and not worth the inevitable consequences. 

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Need to join the local (30k) gym here because all I have is a small bench and basic set plus 2 dumbbells and I need machines for a lot of things.

Look into Body By Science. Low reps, low weight, super slow, and very effective. Can do cheaply with resistance bands, a suspension trainer, and your dumbbells.

Well, what we have here is the usual blind leading the blind as we do with all fat & nutrition threads.

It's lifestyle, obviously. Follow any of the major proven diets, strictly, permanently, and anyone can get down to a reasonable, healthy weight and diminish if not cure the other ill effects of metabolic syndrome.

Just now, BigStar said:

Well, what we have here is the usual blind leading the blind as we do with all fat & nutrition threads.

It's lifestyle, obviously. Follow any of the major proven diets, strictly, permanently, and anyone can get down to a reasonable, healthy weight and diminish if not cure the other ill effects of metabolic syndrome.

Not everyone here is blind, but I get your drift. If it's not your chosen lifestyle, it's not easy because it's a science that's learned. I read everything I could get my hands on way back in the 70's, was a certified trainer 5x and was around a lot of strong lifters who did things right.(good diet, no cheating on lifts, spotters etc)