what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

Actually about 6% genetics 4% of those try hard & most succeed by the things mentioned above.

As my Dr says "not so much what you eat, but how much of it"

In our later years unless still super active we just do not need to eat so much, better to spend the money & eat quality rather than quantity.

Now, I will get this 62 Kg frame off its butt & grab a beer,

It's OK, I have walked up 16 flights of stairs today so the cardiac done anyway

On 6/20/2020 at 2:48 PM, BritManToo said:

Yes.

Same as the vitamin and herbal supplements industries.

Completely worthless for normal people.

You'd be amazed at the difference 1 hour of exercise every day can make to your body.

Most people are just too lazy, and looking for a quick fix though.

And don't forget the people (understandly) who think protein shakes will make you lose weight

On 6/20/2020 at 10:55 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I also don't know the percentages.

I don't eat junk food - or maybe once a month.

I eat only good quality food (fresh, no ready meals, etc.)

Mostly I drink water, seldom milk or orange juice, never sugar-soda.

And I am overweight.

Ok, I don't exercise and I should change that.

And then there is of course the question of the motivation. Long time ago "back home" I was young and slim and most of the young and pretty girls were not interested in me. Now, in Thailand, older and fatter, I get all the attention I want. 

Don't take your wallet with you, keep your notes down your sock, then no one will see your pocket bulging.

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, 4reaL said:

It is easy, take a look at what fat ppl eat.

Often they have sodas with huge meals and then sweet deserts.

The really disgusting type fatties tend not to eat the slob when outside

but load up when in the comfort in their homes.

I have a friend who once said I should do more to loose weight, he stated that amongst other things he played squash twice a week

Not long after this fatty was in hospital,

visiting my healthy friend who was found in the gutter after a stroke

So dont judge people by their looks it can be a bitch

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

And don't forget the people (understandly) who think protein shakes will make you lose weight

They will if they are a meal substitute. You are automatically cutting calories, fat and carbs when you drink a good protein shake with skim milk or light soy milk.

27 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

They will if they are a meal substitute. You are automatically cutting calories, fat and carbs when you drink a good protein shake with skim milk or light soy milk.

True,

I was referring to those that eat 3 bigmacs for lunch, and have a protein shake thinking it cuts the calories 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I made the mistake by bodybuilding, but lifting like a power lifter, and it tore my knees and shoulders up. Wish I could go back and cut that out. I still can lift heavy, but I don't much because I'd rather be able to lift then have rotator cuffs that need attaching. Need to join the local (30k) gym here because all I have is a small bench and basic set plus 2 dumbbells and I need machines for a lot of things.

None of this weightlifting nonsense for me, the best exercise that keeps you fit and burns calories is cycling and swimming, at 6ft tall and 75Ks, I love my food and pig out with ice cream at the weekends. never smoked or drank alcohol at any time in my life.

Just now, possum1931 said:

None of this weightlifting nonsense for me, the best exercise that keeps you fit and burns calories is cycling and swimming, at 6ft tall and 75Ks, I love my food and pig out with ice cream at the weekends. never smoked or drank alcohol at any time in my life.

Weightlifting isn't nonsense. It's the best way to keep muscle you need on your body as you age. Swimming is a good exercise too, as you are supported by water. Cycling is also good, but mainly lower body. Exercise burns calories yes, but diet is much more important for keeping fat off.

sugar is in everything in thailand

and MSG

fatty liver = bye bye chance of losing weight

eating 6x per day in stead of fasting  / skipping breakfast

in home country I was around 100 kg

in thailand: fitness, walking, less snacks as not available after few years = 70 kg

Edited by Bender Rodriguez

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Weightlifting isn't nonsense. It's the best way to keep muscle you need on your body as you age. Swimming is a good exercise too, as you are supported by water. Cycling is also good, but mainly lower body. Exercise burns calories yes, but diet is much more important for keeping fat off.

IMO an overmuscled guy is just as ugly as the shirtless. fat bellied big boobies brigade.

Just now, possum1931 said:

IMO an overmuscled guy is just as ugly as the shirtless. fat bellied big boobies brigade.

Not ugly, just a little ridiculous. Like the Rock, who looked okay before he started the HGH and now looks wrong. Fast belly with boobies isn't ugly, it's suicidal for them. I've weight trained for over 45 years and never did drugs, and never got above 180, but I was and am lean. Like Rambo but without the drug use.

Edited by fredwiggy

On 6/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, Lacessit said:

Depends on how long you want to live. The statistics say obese people are far more prone to diabetes, cardiac disease, stroke, and cancer. Their death rate in the current pandemic is indicating vulnerability on that front as well. Your life, your choice.

Suggest sensible food (occasional KFC and steak but loads of seafood, veggies and fruit), and alcohol (say 20 std drinks a week, say 8 long necks), 45 mins walk, swim, cycle and gym work most days of the week will lead to a decent quality of life, with less niggles and probably less visits to hospital. Gets more important as you age when the muscles start seriously wasting away. Hence those folk you see with walking sticks or in wheel chairs much earlier than need be.

Also keeps the younger partner happy longer. But more to the point, enjoy healthier twilight years and usually fade faster when the gene clock kicks in. Worth the fitness and sensible diet investment and it starts paying dividends fairly quickly.

So while I agree poor health can lead to early deaths, it's not just about longevity. Many unhealthy people stick around for years. Ultimately genes play a big role even for the healthy.

For me it's about the quality of life, especially in the last 15 years. That's my rationale anyway ????

Edited by Donga
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

As a warning to the general farang public: go easy when poppin yer bamboo cherry. I pounded about half a kilo of that stuff (stir fried with garlic) my first time, and dropped like half my pancreas an hour later.

Half a kilo? No wonder the world exploded through your backside. I'm normally eating 50 - 100 gm.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Not ugly, just a little ridiculous. Like the Rock, who looked okay before he started the HGH and now looks wrong. Fast belly with boobies isn't ugly, it's suicidal for them. I've weight trained for over 45 years and never did drugs, and never got above 180, but I was and am lean. Like Rambo but without the drug use.

Not sure why you think HGH did anything to the rock. HGH is weak strange that you don't know that as a personal trainer. HGH wont do much at all, steroids sure. But HGH is a weak compound. 

1 hour ago, Kennycrossfit said:

Yes, there is a point where it is too much and not benificial,unless they are competing and making money from it. 

To each his or her own. But I think most people will never get too too much. Not even when they use steroids.  Its not easy to get to that stage. 

I don't like the look of real bodybuilders but to ge there is not easy, not like someone can get there easy. Most people don't ever have to worry about getting to muscular. Its a long road its not as if someone wakes up like a bodybuilder.

If i read how much people need to do (and use) to get that big its not something that will happen unless you got great genetics. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Experts: Obesity Is Biologically 'Stamped In,' Diet and Exercise Won't Cure It

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/obesity-is-biologically-stamped-in-diet-and-exercise-wont-cure-it-021215#1

I agree that exercise is not a cure for obesity, since it burns very few calories as compared to calorie intake by over-eating.

But a biologically / genetically stamped in obesity ??? Something like the perpetuum mobile ???

Scientific sounding silly excuses for over eating !

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Are you talking about Stallone? He is not lean, he is over muscled as far as I can see, also, is their not a difference between weight training and weight lifting? Take me, when I was younger and in my prime, I was a very fast runner, but I was never a strong person, almost anyone could beat me at arm wrestling.

Scientists discover sitting around all day raises your risk of cancer - and early death

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sitting-early-death-cancer-133832041.html

So I guess the ThaiVisa keyboard warriors need to get off their backsides and get moving. Come on guys it's not that hard. Had a friend who I took to see my heart Doctor after I fully recovered from an attack after getting fat and lazy. My doctor told him if he didn't get at least into a walking exercise program he would be dead in 2 months. He did,lost weight and looks a lot better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Scientists discover sitting around all day raises your risk of cancer - and early death

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sitting-early-death-cancer-133832041.html

So I guess the ThaiVisa keyboard warriors need to get off their backsides and get moving. Come on guys it's not that hard. Had a friend who I took to see my heart Doctor after I fully recovered from an attack after getting fat and lazy. My doctor told him if he didn't get at least into a walking exercise program he would be dead in 2 months. He did,lost weight and looks a lot better.

Did your friend lose weight by walking or by stopping to over eat?

Edited by oldhippy
spelling

A daily walking exercise is better than nothing. 

I already experienced the consequences  of sitting for hours at a time.
A few years ago I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my leg, probably caused by too much sitting down , I learned my lesson, that daily walk is very important. And do all sorts of activities, moving around. If you sit for more than 2 hours you should get up and do some indoor exercises for a few minutes, before you sit down again. 

• Like 1

No. 1, see a psychiatrist. There's no difference between food addiction and opioid or alcohol addiction. Nobody needs to eat at Chunky Monkey every night. Difference is that in Thailand the government isn't posting gruesome pictures of diabetic amputations on KFC buckets the way they are on cigarette cartons.

Edited by OZinPattaya

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Are you talking about Stallone? He is not lean, he is over muscled as far as I can see, also, is their not a difference between weight training and weight lifting? Take me, when I was younger and in my prime, I was a very fast runner, but I was never a strong person, almost anyone could beat me at arm wrestling.

Meaning Stallone in the Rambo days, especially 2 and 3. I dieted and worked out 4x a week and never got below 4 % body fat. He was leaner, around 2.8%, from taking steroids and HGH. His weight was never above 191 lean. Mine was 176, and he was 2" taller. Not over muscled, just lean. By over muscled, I'm guessing you mean those like the Rock. Everyone has the same amount of muscle. Some get ridiculously big from drug use.

Edited by fredwiggy

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Not sure why you think HGH did anything to the rock. HGH is weak strange that you don't know that as a personal trainer. HGH wont do much at all, steroids sure. But HGH is a weak compound. 

It's how they get lean, and add some size.