External Hard drive repair

Nee1

Hi, 

I am looking for repair /download data from my external hard disk as hard drive seems to have some glitsch. 

Any repair shops in Samut Prakan near Bangna /Srinakarin area. 

Otherwise if have any suggestions in Bangkok I can try those. 

Thanks 

You are aware that anything that involves drive itself can be a major expense and may not be successful?  Data recovery is a business and not worth the cost/effort for most users.  That is way backup options often used.  That said any shop should be able to mount into a new enclosure and see if drive is working at a low cost.

I had this problem. Plugged in light flash then stopped. So won't load. Tryed many times unplug then plug in. Will slight taps drive stated after many attempts and I got all stuff off. Also in another time I deleted about 500 of stuff and used a recovery tool. And did work very well. And did read can recover stuff from faulty HD not sure how but cost me about 5,000 for my recover but was worth it 

External HDDs are two parts. The HDD and the enclosure with electronic and USB connector.

Often the HDD is ok and the enclosure or the internal connectors are the problem.

Most shops should be able to get the HDD out of the enclosure and put it in a new one.

Some enclosures have screws, others are sealed. Normally you can open the sealed enclosures with a knife or other tools.

You can also buy a new enclosure and try to do it yourself. It's easy.

If the HDD and not the enclosure has a problem then there are basically two options:

a) free recovery software is often able to recover 99% of the files. It might take time but it's just waiting.

b) the HDD or HDD electronic is severely damaged. Then only an expensive external service will be able to recover any data. I didn't check recently but think it will cost about 10,000THB and more for that option.

From all the options the last one is the most unlikely, I would guess that happens in less than 10% of problems with external HDDs.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

On 6/20/2020 at 12:09 PM, Nee1 said:

Any repair shops in Samut Prakan near Bangna /Srinakarin area. 

Seacon square next to talad rotfai.

The IT area is on the basement floor. Many repair shops, but as always, shop wisely. Good luck.

On 6/20/2020 at 2:42 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

External HDDs are two parts. The HDD and the enclosure with electronic and USB connector.

Often the HDD is ok and the enclosure or the internal connectors are the problem.

Often you can just take the HDD out and connect it directly to a SATA port.

Though I read that Western Digital "MyPassport" drives use a propriety port and can't connect easily to a standard SATA.

Also  I had a drive go bad,  just not recognised by the BIOS or OS  though I could hear the disk spinning

I took a chance and sent the HDD controller board ( just the board not HDD) to a repair company  in Canada  who worked a miracle  by transplanting  a critical microchip onto a new board ..they sent old and new board back I installed new board to the HDD,worked perfectly and still does  ( since 2015)

lost no data at all and cost only 50 US $   

( highly recommended  https://www.facebook.com/PCBSolution )

1876202719_edit_IMG_20150806_165324(Large).jpg.2ffacff94bdef44484967cb89e62a080.jpg

• Like 1