International flights to Thailand won't resume until September, says aviation authority

rooster59

5 minutes ago, balo said:

As long as there are flights to Singapore, KL or Vietnam , it's no big deal to cross via the land border. Take the train or bus to the border. 

What makes you think that they will open the land borders sooner? They might not, or apply the same requirements for entering the country which exclude many groups of foreigners.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

What makes you think that they will open the land borders sooner?

I am just guessing, but we've already had reports of people entering from Cambodia/Vietnam. 

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

accept a pdf copy sent by someone in thailand?

Yes, they will accept copies of marriage certificates sent to the applicant and submitted with their application.

The internet is truly wonderful, eh?

4 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I live and work in Afghanistan as a contractor and get back to my wife in Thailand every 4 months or so. I didn't have the option like you say. This cv virus if you do your research has turned out to be a big flop. Only affecting sick elderly and people who were already  sick. This cv doesn't affect young either. For some reason Thai govt is playing this virus game for maximum effect it's hurting alot of people inside and outside of Thailand. Thailand keeps changing the game because they don't know what else to do. People in power keep getting paid regardless trying to set themselves up before election that they were the ones protecting Thailand. States in the US that never shut down never had a problem. European countries also who didn't shutdown absolutely no problems. Why Thailand being so restrictive theirs a reason 

Young folk have died being infected by C19, the rest of your post I agree with...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

That's a joke right. Thailand closed fights March 26. 

I was very surprised when Vietnam NZ and AU shut up around march 19.

If folk are honest with themselves and answered how long countries would be closed many would have perhaps guessed ~ 6 weeks at that time. Now 3 months later, not even near opening.

Yeah I was checking on things in Taiwan as I was getting ready to go back there after putting all my stuff here in storage. They just had quarantines for people coming from Europe and US and banned flights travel the mainland HK and Macao. The  Taiwanese border closure on March 18 came with no warning ( like 12 hours), and I could only get on a flight 2 hours after the time for non-residents boarding flights was closed. I needed to just run straight to the airport to get on any flight (regardless the cost) getting out of here to take me there the moment I heard. Just missed it by 2 hours.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 12:29 AM, hotchilli said:

Those pesky Chinese love their gambling...

17 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I live and work in Afghanistan as a contractor and get back to my wife in Thailand every 4 months or so. I didn't have the option like you say. This cv virus if you do your research has turned out to be a big flop. Only affecting sick elderly and people who were already  sick. This cv doesn't affect young either. For some reason Thai govt is playing this virus game for maximum effect it's hurting alot of people inside and outside of Thailand. Thailand keeps changing the game because they don't know what else to do. People in power keep getting paid regardless trying to set themselves up before election that they were the ones protecting Thailand. States in the US that never shut down never had a problem. European countries also who didn't shutdown absolutely no problems. Why Thailand being so restrictive theirs a reason 

If you do your research you will see the CCP virus very much affecting people under 50 including quite a few deaths of people in their 20's and even some children. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Reading between the lines (essential in Thailand !),  I would say this whole idea is linked to two things :-

1.  With the latest outbreak in China they will probably not be letting anyone out of the country until at least September and it will be the Chinese Hordes that the Thai's will want coming here first.

The old infected "Chinese Hordes" mantra. Only gets second billing to the old Health Minister's infected "dirty farangs"  rant.

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

2. With the Thai Airways situation the way it is at present and the Courts not yet agreeing to anything, then they won't be able to start flying until at least September despite all the verbals about commencing flights in early August, hence face saving move to protect their already awful image !

You do know that Thai Airways are not the only airline that flies in and out of Bangkok don't you?

So, there we have it, a double Thai bash.

Thanks!

NL

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Food show? You mean an exposition? Like a trade fair?

Yes call it what you like. Nowadays it has really grown in size. Also have international factory show casing what they can offer in the food industry. 

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The smarter, more savvy companies and organizations have increasingly been doing online presentations and webinars since the C19 shutters came down. The smarter, more savvy people attend them.

You mean like the terrible alibaba and such? Or are you just talking like a conference call having a presentation? For webinars I have yet to see a Food factory that does them. And I talk to a lot of factory all around the world every year..

For alibaba I started getting solicitation and spam emails after using them years ago. they either sold my email address or were hacked.. Got so bad to the point the spam had those dangerous one me attachments. And to this day I still get those emails daily. I do not like or use that platform anymore as do not trust them one bit. Now it seems companies have faded from alibaba and it is just agents saying they are factory using them.

Factory really prefer to showcase in person and this is where shows are important. People in the food industry love to come to Thailand for this show having getting new contacts being one of them and then the other is the fun that Thailand has to offer for everyone's personal liking. From foot massages to the red light areas to just being here and soaking up the feel.

If this show is cancelled for this year then Thailand is in for some serious economic fallout. They need to open up the borders and let all the trapped outside folk in and allow business and trade to continue. If you are trapped outside, then I fell for you. Moronic fatheads in control here are killing everything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cadan said:

The future is bright. Well done for more uncertain times ahead.... Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong are almost Covid free. Why would you not open these countries ? 

because those going in can be from countries that are not. Its a waiting game at the moment. Certain countries will open to certain countries. But the US is way down the list.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Airlines are reluctant to resume operations before they get clear guidance. 

He is talking nonsense! It will not be 2.5 months before they get that clear guidance! Airlines are losing big money and raring to go. Some are flying already to other destinations.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If so, then perhaps the risks of living on a different continent from where one's employment is located needs to be reassessed?

I find it incredulous that a pilot flying offshore helicopters in Abu Dhabi needs or has to go off to work at the start of, or during a global pandemic, the likes of which we have never seen in our lifetimes. 

That's the decision that was made though, and now the consequences are being faced.

OK, let's not get overly concerned with an oil patch chopper pilot with misplaced priorities. Let's give these idiots a bashing, eh?

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/stranded-at-sea-in-the-time-of-corona

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/cruise-ship-crew-thousands-stuck-at-sea-coronavirus-covid-19/

https://time.com/5847917/merchant-ship-crews-stranded-coronavirus/

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-up-to-200000-seafarers-trapped-on-ships-un-says/a-53735744

6 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

He is talking nonsense! It will not be 2.5 months before they get that clear guidance! Airlines are losing big money and raring to go. Some are flying already to other destinations.

Also keep in mind that the airlines used to make a lot of money flying marine crews to and from their vessels. That market had disappeared too.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sujo said:
22 minutes ago, Cadan said:

The future is bright. Well done for more uncertain times ahead.... Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong are almost Covid free. Why would you not open these countries ? 

because those going in can be from countries that are not. Its a waiting game at the moment. Certain countries will open to certain countries. But the US is way down the list.

It would be interesting to see if entry is by flight origin or passport.

It would be nuts to see someone from the US whose been in HK for the past 4 months be prevented entry to Thailand because of his US passport. Equally so, people could easily fly to HK and then onto Thailand for ease of entry, unless their travel history is also being checked - if so, expect huge lines at immigration upon arrival.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would be interesting to see if entry is by flight origin or passport

That is reason that I believe countries such as Thailand and Vietnam may suspend visa exempt entries. 

• Like 1

I think some folks are expecting things to return to normal when restrictions are lifted.

But there is a problem with that. There is a reason airlines all over the world have grounded thousands of aircraft.

Yes, for the widebody fleets much was driven by international flight bans. But the underlying issue for the majority of the narrowbody fleets was simply that that demand dried up, people just weren't willing to fly.

So just because you allow international flights doesn't translate into people wanting to fly.

In the US & Europe passenger numbers are slowly increasing, but they are still a long way off where they should be. It's hard to get consolidated numbers for all European countries, but in the US at least TSA screening numbers give you an idea of where we are.

The airlines aren't going to fly widebody aircraft internationally with a 20% load factor. 

The airline industry is a hand to mouth cash flow business, and right now they are all bleeding millions of $ daily without passenger revenue.

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 7.03.46 AM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Asian governments and economies are going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

They either open up the countries, accept the limited damage that Covid19 will do to their respective countries and make a decision based on it.

They either want to lift their economies and accept visitors and tourists, whilst doing their best to contain the virus with masks, social distancing, hand washing, limited numbers of people in certain spaces etc, or they shutdown and take the risks as to the amount of damage it will do to the livelihoods of their citizens and prosperity of their country.

They cannot have both.

Europe knows this, and the unfortunate deaths that follow, are becoming collateral damage for the greater good of their countries and the majority of their citizens as painful as it is.

Yes I broadly agree with this and your previous post. However will the damage be limited, and it is not countries that are being damaged it is people's lives being lost, that is the big issue. Of course if they are not careful a 2nd wave will destroy the economic tourism future for a long time, so I understand their caution. 

"unfortunate deaths that follow, are becoming collateral damage for the greater good of their countries and the majority of their citizens as painful as it is."  Given the unbelievable incompetence of the leaders of the US, UK, Brazil, India, and Russia (The top 5) I will happily say this "Becoming collateral damage for the greater good".... of any (deleted) country is not part of my plan.

We are going back to Scotland soon and I plan to return in September as it happens. No doubt they will move the goalposts many times again before then, are they incompetent, and/or do they just love changing rules, heaven knows.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Why, what are they missing??

Are you kidding me? Thailand is one of the most delightful, pleasant, reasonable and Covid free environments on the planet. I am thrilled to death I am here now, instead of one of the Zombie nations.

I was planning to fly back to the hapless US in September for work and a family trip. But since we were due to return by early November it looks very risky based on this info. Will have to wait and see if more clarity reveals itself in the next couple of months. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nigel Garvie said:

However will the damage be limited, and it is not countries that are being damaged it is people's lives being lost, that is the big issue.

If you look at the big picture then the damage has already been done to such a level that there will and can never be a return to the way it was before.  The objective as I see it now would be to limit the damage that can occur going forward without having the suicides and desperation grow.  Crime is going up, and people are starving.  Life is very hard now.  I would hope that those folks that have family wherever they are can be reunited as time goes on to minimize the ongoing damage.  Opening up International flights is an absolute crapshoot, but with the way things are I think its a good idea to start sooner rather than later.  CAAT has alluded to no social distancing on domestic flights here within Thailand.  If they believe the virus is contained then make a trial weekend run of no social distancing on planes and then follow-up within 14 days, but track and trace where all of those passengers went.  It is the only way it can truly be known as to where this country stands at this point in time.

Do they not know that the projections are that the second wave will start around the 1st of September in the northern hemisphere. It is projected that that daily deaths in the USA will go up from 800 per day to 1800 per day in September alone and continue to rise through the northern winter. 
There won’t just be passengers on the planes. 

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you look at the big picture then the damage has already been done to such a level that there will and can never be a return to the way it was before.  

That is so negative and alarmist, there is no basis to believe those things, try looking at the positives for once, the rate of infection and death was super low. Thailand is resilient, it's people are too, it and they will bounce back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you look at the big picture then the damage has already been done to such a level that there will and can never be a return to the way it was before.  The objective as I see it now would be to limit the damage that can occur going forward without having the suicides and desperation grow.  Crime is going up, and people are starving.  Life is very hard now.  I would hope that those folks that have family wherever they are can be reunited as time goes on to minimize the ongoing damage.  Opening up International flights is an absolute crapshoot, but with the way things are I think its a good idea to start sooner rather than later.  CAAT has alluded to no social distancing on domestic flights here within Thailand.  If they believe the virus is contained then make a trial weekend run of no social distancing on planes and then follow-up within 14 days, but track and trace where all of those passengers went.  It is the only way it can truly be known as to where this country stands at this point in time.

I'm pretty sure that social distancing is being scrapped on domestic flight from 1st July.