International flights to Thailand won't resume until September, says aviation authority

rooster59

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would be interesting to see if entry is by flight origin or passport.

It would be nuts to see someone from the US whose been in HK for the past 4 months be prevented entry to Thailand because of his US passport. Equally so, people could easily fly to HK and then onto Thailand for ease of entry, unless their travel history is also being checked - if so, expect huge lines at immigration upon arrival.

This is exactly what will happen. It happened that way at the beginning of this mess when things were starting to get restricted. Whichever is the most restrictive is the one you will get...passport or recent obvious location from which you travelled. And, yes. The lines at immigration are going to be even more hellish than before. 

1 minute ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

CAAT has alluded to no social distancing on domestic flights here within Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I'm pretty sure that social distancing is being scrapped on domestic flight from 1st July.

Glad you can read what I wrote, I was worried someone would miss it.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

because those going in can be from countries that are not.

Not at all. You set up the systems properly with bilateral/multilateral agreements with every country having the same requirements and that will not be an issue. That's the entire premise of a proper travel bubble.

Edited by vermin on arrival

I am quite happy to have switched my flight back to Australia from August to November. However, that's no certainty either.

I would like to see more certainty on returning to Thailand after that, because the current conditions and kites being flown are a complete barrier.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would be interesting to see if entry is by flight origin or passport.

It would be nuts to see someone from the US whose been in HK for the past 4 months be prevented entry to Thailand because of his US passport. Equally so, people could easily fly to HK and then onto Thailand for ease of entry, unless their travel history is also being checked - if so, expect huge lines at immigration upon arrival.

Everything I have read about travel bubbles, etc. is that it is by country of flight origin and not passport.

• Like 1

It was one of the lowest high seasons ever this year , before this covid nonsense ! Closing in low season is probably not much of a problem for the government as nostalgia might win back a lot of people who were getting bored of Thailand (including me) don’t worry folks it will be open for high season and will be packed to the rafters as there is millions of men world wide not getting any pay to play action  right now . 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not Negative in Anyway, more along the lines of succinct and to the point.  Tell me that the damage has not already been done based upon the way things have been handled?.  True Thailand appears to be on top with the numbers, but then I for one do not believe it as testing is only being done for those repatriated.  No random testing in the provinces that I know of, but then I could be wrong.  If they are testing then why not share the results with all?.  However alarming you believe my post is, the point I was making is that unless they start to move forward with tourism and let the people return home to be with family, I think that things will just get worse then they already are.  Not sure if you watch the news or look at the papers but it just is not a pretty sight ....

Tourism as a whole is now being relegated to a much lower level of importance in Thailand, they are saying they will move away from mass tourism to something else and I applaud them for that.  Yes there will be an impact on the workforce, just as there is as a result of the pandemic. But the social structure here minimises the impact of those things, just as the low level of social security spending and bail out borrowings will not do harm to the overall economy. I see plenty of evidence from my work here in Thailand that Thai people are adapting much more so than other countries in the West, people are finding different work, new ways to make money, new ways to survive. Yes of course there are casualties but in looking at the bigger picture you referred to, Thailand is getting through this very well by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, darksidedick said:

Their people tend to be lazy, uneducated and money grabbing. No thought for saving for tomorrow and bettering their lot.

You been to Isan?

As you said in another post, the thing that attracts many of us to Thailand is the laid back attitude.

However, it is what it is and farang tourism is a very real source of income for many poorer Thai's.

Western tourism income is way down the list of important incomes as far as the Thai economy is concerned. If International tourism is valued at 12% of GDP, the none Chinese portion of that is less than 5%, the Western portion of that is likely to be less than 2%....it's nothing.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Commercial flights arriving daily, from lot's of destinations across the globe. Plenty of flights to be had. Which this announcement even dumber, as flights never stopped... Options are a more limited than usual, and fares might be more expensive, but again, plenty of commercial flights arriving and departing daily.

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

Totally agree - loads of international arriving flights. Maybe not as many e.g. can't see any Air Asia. Some from "risky" places like Kolkata.

7 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Pure speculation. We don't know for sure about 'guys' outside and each ones situation, do we.  If any are genuinely stuck, they had plenty of time to come back when it was obvious that the borders were going to be closed at some point, so why didn't they?? And please don't list a load of weak excuses, if they were that worried they would have come back, end of story,

I got stuck outside - was supposed to see my boyfriend who has a contract for work there and the consulates/borders closed and my flights got cancelled. 

6 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Commercial flights arriving daily, from lot's of destinations across the globe. Plenty of flights to be had. Which this announcement even dumber, as flights never stopped... Options are a more limited than usual, and fares might be more expensive, but again, plenty of commercial flights arriving and departing daily.

You are right ,just had a play ,I said BKK> LHR>BKK ,going on July 16 coming back August 15  ,Fin air $699 or 20970 baht, lots of other options ,and that price if it is a true price,it  is cheaper than what I paid last year.

That's a tad optimistic if you ask me.  

As I and experts have been stating all along, there will be no tourism this year, full stop.  Of course if a vaccine or treatment happens for the disease, that's off the table but this vaccine that is going to be ready in weeks is not going to be ready in weeks.  We will be lucky if we have a vaccine by January and if we have one there isn't eight billion doses ready to go.   

Even if borders were open, hardly anyone could or would come.  There is no COVID insurance company that has a valid policy unless you're talking expat insurance.  And insurance is required to enter Thailand or anywhere.  

11 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I don’t believe those numbers at all . The tourism sector employs millions of people directly or indirectly . Be that housing - restaurants - financial support etc etc if they are going to do away with mass tourism they had better start getting the rich and middle class to start paying tax as there will need to be some form of a welfare state or another . 

With Thailand pushing that rail link with China Thailand will become another HK. Thailand is so concerned about this CV their opening thailand up to the CVs creator. Why on earth would Thailand consider that seeing how China plays throughout the world

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

With Thailand pushing that rail link with China Thailand will become another HK. Thailand is so concerned about this CV their opening thailand up to the CVs creator. Why on earth would Thailand consider that seeing how China plays throughout the world

There is only 2 things that China could possibly want with Thailand . Food and to export it’s pollution . 

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You folks are definitely not paying attention to who can arrive and who can not.  No international tourism is entering Thailand. Outbound flights are those trying to get home who have been stuck here as tourists and flights keep getting canceled.  Flights arriving are bringing in Repatriated Thais and commerce.  Look at the CAAT website for info before you think to much as a Thai would say.

Sorry mate but take a look at the article on page 1. It talks about international flights not resuming until September. It doesn't say anything about people or nationalities etc. So the article is at best poorly worded and therefore extremely misleading or, at worse, factually wrong.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Thanks for pointing this out. This is my observation as well, looking at BKK departures and arrivals. Whether you're allowed to board the sporadic international flights to Thailand is what matters. As I understand, you're allowed to enter Thailand if you hold a WP? Does anyone know?

All inbound flights are cargo only. Outbound flights carry passengers.
The inbound crew is quarantined in an airport hotel till they leave to work on the outbound flight.

Everyone that wants to enter Thailand has to catch a repatriation flight.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But are we expected to give up our careers, stop providing for our families because there is a risk we cannot return?....

That is exactly what millions that work in the Thai tourism industry have had to do, with no choice in the matter, and without having to go anywhere...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, durhamboy said:

Sorry mate but take a look at the article on page 1. It talks about international flights not resuming until September. It doesn't say anything about people or nationalities etc. So the article is at best poorly worded and therefore extremely misleading or, at worse, factually wrong.

Obviously you need to just look at the prior posted info by CAAT as to who can arrive and who can not, before you start to think the flights coming in now are anything other than what I posted.  They are trying to determine if Sept 1 they will resume international flights, but that date has been pushed out in the past.  It was suppose to be July 1, then , now not until after Sept 1, its a giant crapshoot.  You can play the book my flight game all day long, it does not mean that that flight will be arriving or departing as they are continually getting canceled or rescheduled.  Just a few of the past CAAT announcements and the regulations

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/49796

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/50437

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Pure speculation. We don't know for sure about 'guys' outside and each ones situation, do we.  If any are genuinely stuck, they had plenty of time to come back when it was obvious that the borders were going to be closed at some point, so why didn't they?? And please don't list a load of weak excuses, if they were that worried they would have come back, end of story,

Perhaps these "guys outside" have had to sign some kind of contract for working wherever they are now "stuck"? Or maybe that's just some kind of weak excuse - after all, if they really wanted to come back they would have walked off the job  without their wages, and severely dented any prospects of any future employment in their given field - "if they were that worried they would have come back, end of story,"

Edited by sambum

1 hour ago, macster44 said:

umm....I think inbound flights resume June 30....outbound flights resume July 1....I have a confirmed flight on July 7th...outbound to USA.

I'm not sure where all the announcements come from within the Thai govt...they change daily is my experience.

Outbound flights have never stopped 

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

I don’t believe those numbers at all . The tourism sector employs millions of people directly or indirectly . Be that housing - restaurants - financial support etc etc if they are going to do away with mass tourism they had better start getting the rich and middle class to start paying tax as there will need to be some form of a welfare state or another . 

I am with you on not believing the tourism % for GDP. But I see it differently as it is connected like a web supporting so much of Thailand. I see it as a back bone supporting locals lives. Maybe not trillions but then each Thai does not need to make that much to survive. Tourism probably reaches a good 20- 30% of the people in one way or the other having a connection. 

• Like 2

Bummer! Glad I came back into Thailand on time before March. This is like a 6 months 'emergency'.

Frankly, I think Thailand is too paranoid. They should open on 1 July and not 1 Oct.

October is the start of the peak period for tourists so by then it would be 'normal' again, I hope.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Bummer! Glad I came back into Thailand on time before March. This is like a 6 months 'emergency'.

Frankly, I think Thailand is too paranoid. They should open on 1 July and not 1 Oct.

October is the start of the peak period for tourists so by then it would be 'normal' again, I hope.

Assuming everywhere else is normal too.

Watch National Day in China. 1st October.