Anybody else having problems with BBC IPlayer downloading recently?

nglodnig

I'm using Vypr VPN (and I'm actually in Singapore at the moment, not Thailand) but generally until recently I was able to download stuff onto the BBC IPlayer. Sometimes it barfed saying my IP address was outside the UK (presumably meaning it was blacklisted as a VPN "baddie") so I would reconnect until I got a "good" IP address but in the last few days it is not working AT ALL.

I'm on Windows 10. I have had no problems downloading content with a local Netflix application (NOT the web version, I prefer downloading), selected the UK (or whatever) and off it goes. Often to watch I have to connect up to the UK first, kick it off - but after a few seconds I can disconnect the VPN and it is quite happy.

After connecting up to the UK on Vypr, when I try to download a programme in Chrome it now ALWAYS says "you're not in the UK, you foreign fiend". I then tried the same connection using Firefox - works. I suspect some cookie (or maybe peeking at my location using some Windows utility) is blocking the Chrome download.

Anyway, Firefox launches BBC IPlayer download no problem and now (100% in the last few days) I almost immediately get "Media Selector failed" which is a meaningless error message, well done Beeb. Doesn't matter if I try HD or SD.

I contacted Vypr support and it was the usual bumpf about upgrade to latest version blah blah. I am reluctant to swap VPN providers until I KNOW another VPN is working. I tried installing Express VPN which failed, then found they had already taken $100 off me! (They promise a refund in 5-7 working days).

Is it just me?

• Like 1

Clear your BBC cookies. Maybe will work maybe not. Often it's a game of cat and mouse with you having to wait a few days for a fix. I used to use nordvpn eventually I found them  continually failing with the bbc. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, uncleP said:

Clear your BBC cookies. Maybe will work maybe not. Often it's a game of cat and mouse with you having to wait a few days for a fix. I used to use nordvpn eventually I found them  continually failing with the bbc. 

Nordvpn has been a bit flaky for me over the last few days when trying to use iPlayer.  Have to be persistent - can usually get it to work after a while, with multiple retries.  Clearing cookies seems to help and I seem to get more luck using the Brave browser rather than Chrome.

• Like 1

If the BBC is your prime interest @nglodnig then I recommend that you take a look at 'My Expat Network'. 

I've used them continuously since 2007 in three different countries and they have never let me down yet. The BBC does occasionally tread on their tail, but when that happens there is an alternative mode that you can switch to whilst the primary mode is being reconfigured. I've only had to use it once.

Great service and a very helpful and friendly help desk if you do get your 'knickers in a twist'. ????

Visit: https://www.my-expat-network.com for details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had some similar problems trying to access BBC iPlayer and a couple of the VPN providers suggested that it was because the BBC were "cracking down" on users of VPNs.

Express VPN didn't seem to work for me, nor did another one I tried, and initially Cyber Ghost wasn't reliable, but they gave me a couple of tips on how to approach this and in the main, this seems to have worked!!!

I use Edge (previously used Chrome) and I have found that using the "private window" setting in these browsers seems to work better, so before you connect to the BBC iPlayer, click on the setting and see how that works for you (you will find this in the panel on the right hand side of your screen, if you click on the three dots or three lines at the very top right-hand corner of your browser).

I also reset my router every day so that it doesn't retain any "memory", and again that seems to help.

I am only just trying to find my way through this maze, much the same as you by the sound of it, but the above is what I am currently trying.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Is it just me?

I had the issue a couple months ago. I was told by my VPN provider to completely reinstall a browser (I used Chrome for this) with a new profile and then I was able to use BBC iPlayer again - i.e the VPN wasn't the issue. I use BBC thro a web browser on Win10  but the iPlayer app on Android also works. I now just keep a browser and a profile available for this purpose and nothing else and it has worked ever since.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I use Edge (previously used Chrome) and I have found that using the "private window" setting in these browsers seems to work better,

The reason for that is because the private window doesn't save any cookies or browsing history

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SUCCESS!! I used an incognito window in Chrome, connected up the VPN via the UK, and was able to watch content directly.

Bit slow of course as I am using VPN speeds but beggars can't be choosers. That's why I prefer downloading so avoids the vagaries of streaming.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

• Like 1