tips for buying my first bike?

brizz

20 minutes ago, bodga said:

2000  baht, i wouldnt  rely  on  that  protecting  much,  my  last  one  was 18.5k, decent  brand  here https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=shark++helmet&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.pdp.search.go.7fe874463QrPOV

I think for 2000 baht you can get a real helmet which has DOT, seems well made enough although hard to tell. I've had a Shark and Shoei, both good but over rated, I've currently got a Nolan open face for equiv 4,000 baht which has been very good so far, can easily wash the removable inner lining which is important

• Like 1

I like the Aerox, it's s technically superior machine, but I went for the PCX because it's physically bigger, if you're large, you may want to think about that.

As to helmets, I don't advise buying online, even the best helmet won't give good protection if it doesn't fit right.  Always try it on, always.  I've tried on several identical helmets (same brand, model, even colour) and found some that sit on top of my head, some that I rattle in, and eventually one that's just snug and touches my head all over, that one I bought.

So it seems like I'm looking at Class 2 or 3 insurance for an Aerox 155 bike. What I'm seeing online says that only Big Bikes are given Class 1 insurance. Any recommendations for insurance companies in Bangkok?

I'm tempted to put the bike in my wife's name, as that will be easier, but then what happens when the cops pull me over and the bike isn't in my name? Will that be an issue?

I've talked with a couple dealerships who are offering to do the registration for free. What's the cost me to do it myself? How much of a deal is this really?

4 minutes ago, brizz said:

So it seems like I'm looking at Class 2 or 3 insurance for an Aerox 155 bike. What I'm seeing online says that only Big Bikes are given Class 1 insurance. Any recommendations for insurance companies in Bangkok?

I'm tempted to put the bike in my wife's name, as that will be easier, but then what happens when the cops pull me over and the bike isn't in my name? Will that be an issue?

I've talked with a couple dealerships who are offering to do the registration for free. What's the cost me to do it myself? How much of a deal is this really?

have you read any of the posts? such as put the bike in your name

52 minutes ago, brizz said:

Either way; doesn't matter.

Not an issue.

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't try to do it yourself.  

Sounds like a good deal.

Prolly best you'll get.

Pull the trigger.

You seem to be sold on the Aerox?  They certainly are nice looking but the brander Nmax has same engine with dual disc brakes.  Personally, I would not purchase a bike in this day and age without dual disc brakes.

I owned a PCX several years ago (prior to the Nmax being available), and I was not happy with it.  They are very popular but I didn't like the way it handled and it had a problem where the bike would shake/vibrate when taking off, caused by the clutch.  I hear this problem has been resolved by Honda over the years?

Presently I own a Vespa GTS 150.  It's great!  Had it for almost a year now.  At the moment, I feel it would take a special scooter in the future for me to consider anything but a Vespa.... assuming I can still afford one as they are not cheap.

I've ridden an Aerox before and I like it more than the PCX, which I've also tested. The NMAX doesn't seem as comfortable to me. I've considered step-through bikes, but I'm a big guy and want at least 150 or 155cc. It will be my first bike, so I don't think I want to go up to a 200 or 300cc bike just yet. I also want ABS. Vespas are interesting, but I think that's too expensive to start. 

2 hours ago, ragpicker said:

......it had a problem where the bike would shake/vibrate when taking off, caused by the clutch.  I hear this problem has been resolved by Honda over the years?........

I don't think so, Honda uses the same rubbish clutch shoes and design in all their bikes... , if you ride like a zombie no problem, a bit of heavy throttle usage and high temperature and have to replace the clutch regularly or go aftermarket... my biggest complain... ! Though all CVT have this Achilles heel to some extent, perhaps more for larger/heavier scooters ... Now they are new enovitive clutch designs, buy a few dollars too much for the likes of Honda...

• Like 1

You're 10x more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than a car IN AMERICA where drivers are much more qualified and the roads are safer.

Thailand is the most dangerous country for dying in a traffic accident.

Yeah.  Great idea.  Are you a stable genius?

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

You're 10x more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than a car IN AMERICA where drivers are much more qualified and the roads are safer.

Thailand is the most dangerous country for dying in a traffic accident.

Yeah.  Great idea.  Are you a stable genius?

Yawn. Everyone has to mitigate the risk as much as possible in Thailand i.e. wear a helmet, don't drink and drive, safe speed, minimise night-time riding etc etc, 90% of accidents are caused by careless\reckless riding so ride safely

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brizz said:

https://www.frank.co.th/en/motorcycle-insurance?planType=all&engineSize=150%2C250

Probably just class 2 for scooters, which will only cover thrid party damages and medical, bail bond..

But it's better than the CTPL..

take note that your own medical/personal accident insurance is not included.

I bought both PA and class 2 for my scooter.

Bilmola and Real Helmet are good enough, but if you can afford expensive helmets go for it. 

Bike's on thai wife's name not a problem, police wouldn't mind as long as the registration is updated and the taxes are paid yearly..

also, let the dealer do the registration..they can do it faster, it's not worth your time..

@alx123 going a bit off topic,  but the frank.co.th link you sent offers good bike and PA insurance mostly for Loss of life or organs, but their general medical pay seems very low. Bike best is 5k baht per 2 person, PA best is 40k baht, that is not much, is that correct...!? 

30 minutes ago, Agusts said:

@alx123 going a bit off topic,  but the frank.co.th link you sent offers good bike and PA insurance mostly for Loss of life or organs, but their general medical pay seems very low. Bike best is 5k baht per 2 person, PA best is 40k baht, that is not much, is that correct...!? 

unfortunately, that is correct. 

That's why I said Bike's insurance mostly cover the third party's medical and asset damages, as well as bail..at least get the headache of dealing with Thais out of the way, let your insurance agent deal with them..

For PA, yes max at 40k per accident for yourself- so mostly useful for not so serious accidents.

I skidded when my PCX locked its rear brake (a taxi cut me off), bruised my knee and hurt my ankle. Medical expense is at around 9k baht, which includes xrays, shots, medicines , doctors fee, etc. - PA covered it all.

But For serious accidents, that might not be enough though. A  comprehensive health insurance probably will. But in a small scooter, you mostly just skid, bump here and there a little, hopefully...

Yes, theyre not the best but theyre better than the required CTPL. you dont have much choices on insurance for smaller scooters so..

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

That's why I said Bike's insurance mostly cover the third party's medical and asset damages, as well as bail..at least get the headache of dealing with Thais out of the way, let your insurance agent deal with them..

For PA, yes max at 40k per accident for yourself- so mostly useful for not so serious accidents.

I skidded when my PCX locked its rear brake (a taxi cut me off), bruised my knee and hurt my ankle. Medical expense is at around 9k baht, which includes xrays, shots, medicines , doctors fee, etc. - PA covered it all.

But For serious accidents, that might not be enough though. A  comprehensive health insurance probably will. But in a small scooter, you mostly just skid, bump here and there a little, hopefully...

Yes, theyre not the best but theyre better than the required CTPL. you dont have much choices on insurance for smaller scooters so..

You can get personal accident insurance for higher medical expenses cover, with Axa:

7,000 premium, 250k medical per accident.

15,000 premium, 500k medical per accident.

I opted for the 250k, plus you get the compulsory 30k\80k medical cover

Aerox is a good choice for in town use and they have improved the rear shocks on the 2018 and up models.  However, on the highway and for comfort the Nmax or Pcx are superior.  

Personally I would favor the nmax for its seating position and comfort as well as it is a much sturdier bike imho but not as maneuverable in traffic.

The Honda ADV is probably the best of the bunch but will cost you a lot more.

My gripes with the aerox are the weak chassis/suspension, cheap components and some awful colors.  However I do like the motor and it is still one of the best out there for bang for buck.

2 hours ago, alx123 said:

That's why I said Bike's insurance mostly cover the third party's medical and asset damages, ....

How much is the cover for third party's medical...? I don't see that as a separate item so I thought it was the 5k baht I mentioned...!

23 hours ago, Agusts said:

How much is the cover for third party's medical...? I don't see that as a separate item so I thought it was the 5k baht I mentioned...!

that is not clear there, my policy from Thaivivat says 5000/day medical for in-patient and 600,000 for 3rd party medical expense.

Better talk to an insurance agent before buying one as these online quotation are usually confusing/vague for a purpose ????

• Like 1