Renewing Non O - need to leave country?

I have a 1 year non O for supporting spouse, but it is expiring in July. I am living and working in Thailand. 

I thought I would have to leave country to get new visa (of course the COVID situation massively complicates that), but my neighbour's wife whose husband has same visa says no, no need to leave country. Can get new 1 year in CW. 

Is this true? 

Secondly, I have 2 properties, one in Bkk, one in Sattahip Chonburi. Does it matter which office I use to do 90 day reporting? 

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

You have to apply for it at the designated immigration office for where your are living. 

• Like 1

Be aware this may involve Immigration visiting your home to verify you and your wife live together - why you should apply at the office serving the area where your home is.

If where you live with your wife is a different location than where you currently file 90-day reports, you should change your address with Immigration first - file a TM-30.  That could avoid being hit with a fine for not having done this prior, when you apply for the extension (likely to happenen especially at Chonburi - recent reports indicate CW is more lax on these now).

Not sure if either office would make an issue of your work-permit location - maybe not - but if the home closer to your work might avoid an issue.

In any case, if you can manage to do it at CW, I would definitely choose that over Chonburi, which is one of the worst offices in the country for marriage-based extensions.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drbrit said:

I have a 1 year non O for supporting spouse, but it is expiring in July. I am living and working in Thailand.

If you prefer to stay on a Non-O obtained from outside Thailand, you are covered by the amnesty and do not have to do anything at this time. If there is still uncertainty regarding the borders come end of July, you may apply for a 60 day extension at your IO office.

If you choose to go the extension based on marriage, suggested by your friend, at your local IO, you will need to apply for the same 60 day extension in order to have the 400,000 baht in a bank in your name only for the required 2 months. Best of Luck.

@ubonjoe, if I've misspoken, please correct me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

You have to apply for it at the designated immigration office for where your are living. 

Probably pertinent to add my dilemma to the mix here....

have non o multi entry.... which was covered by amnesty, but because I needed to renew work permit I had to get a 60 day extension at CW to show a legal stamped date in my passport.

now this will expire in July and with latest announcements indicating airports remaining closed until September as such I am looking to apply for a year non o single entry at cw..

can someone confirm it is "Either" 400k "OR" 40k minimum monthly salary?

and being somewhat intrigued by the ever-changing or ever different list of paperwork documents required...

Is there a current nominal list of documents required for this?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, casey1 said:

have non o multi entry.... which was covered by amnesty, but because I needed to renew work permit I had to get a 60 day extension at CW to show a legal stamped date in my passport.

now this will expire in July and with latest announcements indicating airports remaining closed until September as such I am looking to apply for a year non o single entry at cw..

and being somewhat intrigued by the ever-changing or ever different list of paperwork documents required...

You cannot apply for a single entry non-o visa at immigration since you already have a non-o visa entry.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay.

It is either 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof 40k baht income. It is not both.

Here is my general list of required documents and etc. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

45 minutes ago, casey1 said:

Unfortunately for you, you can only apply ONCE per entry for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, and you wrote that you already used that one.  So you will have to apply for the 1-year extension of stay before your permission to stay expires in July. 

Also, you won't be able anymore to apply for the 1-year extension of stay using the 400K money-in-bank method, as that requires two months seasoning.

If you act quick, it is still possible to use the monthly-income transfer method and do one transfer of 40K to your personal thai bank account in this month of June, and another one in July.  Thus meeting the requirement of at least two monthly transfers at the moment of application.

Another option could be if your Embassy still issues Income Statements, that you use that method for applying.

Be aware that both for the monthly-income transfer method and the Embassy statement method, that is up to the discretion of the officer at your local IO handling your case to ask for evidence about the SOURCE of the income (and that at some IOs they only accept a pension statement as evidence).

I attached a copy of the 'general' requirements when applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  But IOs might have additional or different requirements, so might be useful to enquire on the Forum for the latest update of those requirements at CW (your IO).

image.jpeg.e85c755c96926ef65707aa1a914e9bac.jpeg

Edited by Peter Denis

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot apply for a single entry non-o visa at immigration since you already have a non-o visa entry.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay.

It is either 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof 40k baht income. It is not both.

Here is my general list of required documents and etc. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Or a 60-day extension for 1900, no baht in the bank or income proof, surely?

• Like 1

Hi Thanks for your reply...

I was told by Immigration at time of 60 day extension if I could not leave Thailand by the end of the the extension then I would need to apply for a new non o visa and could do this prior to the expiry at cw

Normally I apply through my home country Thai embassy, but as this is not available as flights are still not happening then I need apply here

The silliness is ....

My current non o is valid until the end of November.. it is multi entry type...

So I was hedging my bets that I would be able to do a flip flop to singapore or Vietnam or similar to reset my 90 day counter and thus avoid applying for a new non o here in thailand... That is not going to happen with current news to date.

My understanding is currently I have 60 day extension to the original 90 day count when I flew back into Thailand in January with a an extra month accounted for by the amnesty.

I cannot extend this again so will be applying for new non o single entry next week or week after

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or a 60-day extension for 1900, no baht in the bank or income proof, surely?

You can only apply ONCE per entry for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, and IO wrote that he already used that one as he needed it for his WorkPermit.
So his only in-country option left is applying for the 1-year extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, casey1 said:

I cannot extend this again so will be applying for new non o single entry next week or week after.

As UJ already mentioned > You cannot apply for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO because you already have a permission to stay based on your current 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa.

So when applying in country the only option left for you is to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your current 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa.

You need to do this before the permission to stay of that Visa expires (you wrote July).

See my post #8 for the available options (400K money-in-bank method is not possible anymore as you do not have sufficient 'seasoning' time, unless you have already 400K on a personal thai bank-account for some time now).

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

As UJ already mentioned > You cannot apply for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO because you already have a permission to stay based on your current 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa.

So when applying in country the only option left for you is to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your current 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa.

You need to do this before the permission to stay of that Visa expires (you wrote July).

See my post #8 for the available options (400K money-in-bank method is not possible anymore as you do not have sufficient 'seasoning' time, unless you have already 400K on a personal thai bank-account for some time now).

money in bank or monthly income are the options correct?

I have monthly income here in thailand exceeding requirements

5 minutes ago, casey1 said:

> See my post #8 for the 3 options.

a) 400K money in bank > but must be seasoned there for 2 months at the moment of application;

b) 40 monthly-income transfer method > at least two transfers (one in June and one in July);

c) Embassy Income-Statement > only if your embassy still issues them (so not for US, UK and Australian citizens)

10 minutes ago, casey1 said:

You can use income from legally working here with a work permit to apply for the extension.

You need proof of your income by showing tax payments for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, casey1 said:

See this post for what CW requires now for monthly-income.   It's not like before where you just show income - they treat you like a Non-B applicant - originals of DBD document, pics in the office, etc.  And be sure and keep the document-receipts from all the offices you or your accountant visits:

As your application will be approved in Bangkok, it may be similar - though at Jomtien, expect them to add things like "landlord docs" to try to block you.  And tell you wife to be prepared for them to be extremely rude / condecending, unless she is a "hi-so."

Edited by JackThompson

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

> See my post #8 for the 3 options.

a) 400K money in bank > but must be seasoned there for 2 months at the moment of application;

b) 40 monthly-income transfer method > at least two transfers (one in June and one in July);

c) Embassy Income-Statement > only if your embassy still issues them (so not for US, UK and Australian citizens)

If I made one or more transfers totalling at least 40K Baht into my account this month and next (from abroad) would that qualify as proof of 40K income?

9 hours ago, drbeach said:

If I made one or more transfers totalling at least 40K Baht into my account this month and next (from abroad) would that qualify as proof of 40K income?

According to the IO regulations two monthly-income transfers of at least 40K (with foreign origins proven) would qualify for meeting the financial requirements of your 1-year extension of stay application.

But it is recommended to enquire at your local IO (or check on the Forum) whether your local IO will indeed accept it, because there are some rogue IOs that:

- insist on 3 monthly-income transfers instead of the 2 mentioned in the IO-regulations;

- want the monthly-income transfers done approx at same time each month (which might not be possible for you anymore, if your permission to stay expires end of July).

You would also need to act without delay as the 1st transfer would have to be booked on your personal bank-account still in the month of June.  Note: When using a service like Transfer-Wise that should not be a problem as the money would be there same or next day.

Also when using you the monthly-income transfer method it is at the discretion of the local IO officer handling your application to also require evidence of the SOURCE of your income (and once again some rogue IOs only accept a foreign pension-statement as proof).

But at a 'normal' office and a 'normal' officer handling your application, your application will be approved.

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

According to the IO regulations two monthly-income transfers of at least 40K (with foreign origins proven) would qualify for meeting the financial requirements of your 1-year extension of stay application.

But it is recommended to enquire at your local IO (or check on the Forum) whether your local IO will indeed accept it, because there are some rogue IOs that:

- insist on 3 monthly-income transfers instead of the 2 mentioned in the IO-regulations;

- want the monthly-income transfers done approx at same time each month (which might not be possible for you anymore, if your permission to stay expires end of July).

You would also need to act without delay as the 1st transfer would have to be booked on your personal bank-account still in the month of June.  Note: When using a service like Transfer-Wise that should not be a problem as the money would be there same or next day.

Also when using you the monthly-income transfer method it is at the discretion of the local IO officer handling your application to also require evidence of the SOURCE of your income (and once again some rogue IOs only accept a foreign pension-statement as proof).

But at a 'normal' office and a 'normal' officer handling your application, your application will be approved.

Or I could use an agent.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:00 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

If you prefer to stay on a Non-O obtained from outside Thailand, you are covered by the amnesty and do not have to do anything at this time. If there is still uncertainty regarding the borders come end of July, you may apply for a 60 day extension at your IO office.

If you choose to go the extension based on marriage, suggested by your friend, at your local IO, you will need to apply for the same 60 day extension in order to have the 400,000 baht in a bank in your name only for the required 2 months. Best of Luck.

@ubonjoe, if I've misspoken, please correct me.

Good info, but I am a little confused that @ubonjoe mentioned a 1 year extension, but @AgMech Cowboymentioned a 60day extension.   Given the July 31 uncertainty any extension extension is good, but can either of you clarify what is possible?

Many thanks guys

29 minutes ago, drbrit said:

Good info, but I am a little confused that @ubonjoe mentioned a 1 year extension, but @AgMech Cowboymentioned a 60day extension.   Given the July 31 uncertainty any extension extension is good, but can either of you clarify what is possible?

Many thanks guys

Either one is possible.

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the one year extension.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to have enough time for the 400k baht to be in a Thai bank or just to stay longer if you wanted to.,

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, drbrit said:

Many thanks guys

When your permission to stay due date expired during the Amnesty, some IOs will not allow you to apply for the 1-year extension of stay because of that reason.  But when you are married to a thai national you can apply during the Amnesty for the 60-days extension of stay which will provide you once again with a 'stamped' permission to stay.  And so at the end of those 60-days you could then apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  Obviously it would be in your interest to apply as late as possible for that 60-days permission to stay and do it just before the Amnesty period is over (31 July).  That would give you then till end of September to apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  And in case the borders are open again by then, you would have more options to choose from (e.g. you could then simply apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa at a thai consulate abroad).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Either one is possible.

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the one year extension.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to have enough time for the 400k baht to be in a Thai bank or just to stay longer if you wanted to.,

Understood - thank you for the clarification !

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When your permission to stay due date expired during the Amnesty, some IOs will not allow you to apply for the 1-year extension of stay because of that reason.  But when you are married to a thai national you can apply during the Amnesty for the 60-days extension of stay which will provide you once again with a 'stamped' permission to stay.  And so at the end of those 60-days you could then apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  Obviously it would be in your interest to apply as late as possible for that 60-days permission to stay and do it just before the Amnesty period is over (31 July).  That would give you then till end of September to apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  And in case the borders are open again by then, you would have more options to choose from (e.g. you could then simply apply for the 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa at a thai consulate abroad).

Thanks you Peter

• 3 weeks later...