Bike Insurance

mercman24

a bit confused as to how it works, i will be the new owner this week, of a scooter, last owner taxed the bike until January next year, i see in the paperwork she paid 800 baht for insurance, pretty sure its not transferable (or is it) my question is am i insured under the third party gov risk as the bike is taxed, (i wont have any paperwork to confirm this) or do i have to pop along to the (mot) garage to apply for new cover

IIRC the insurance is on the bike, not the person. If correct then there would be no need to transfer the insurance.

You should have paperwork to confirm the bike is taxed / insured via the sticker they give that's supposed to be shown somewhere on the vehicle.

Po ro boo (por ror bor)  (required insurance, for a few hundred baht) covers you up to something like 80 000 baht. Not enough if you injure someone or cause damage to a car.

If voluntary extra insurance, then you have to check with the insurance company. For example my car insurance is connected to the car, not the owner. ANY DRIVER older than 25 years old with valid license driving my car is automatically insured up to 10 milion baht. I pay like 7000 baht/year for that.

3 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

covers you up to something like 80 000 baht. Not enough if you injure someone or cause damage to a car.

It covers only for injuries or death. And if you are at fault then only up to 30k/35k. It doesn't cover vehicle/property damage at all.

It is always advisable to have private insurance with proper coverage.

According to this compulsory schedule no matter whose fault it is , the victim should receive injury compensation, but on many occasions on various forums and here as well , I read that a farang has an accident with the Thai,  he is blamed and has to pay like 10k baht for hospital treatment...!? So why is that, according to this compulsory insurance any party should get at least first 30k no matter who was at fault  ...! 

Could it be that the amount was on top or was due for loss of earnings or Thai not having compulsary insurance/tax/licence/etc. , or whatever else they managed to cook up in addition and lost in translation ...!? 

Edited by Agusts

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

According to this compulsory schedule no matter whose fault it is , the victim should receive injury compensation, but on many occasions on various forums and here as well , I read that a farang has an accident with the Thai,  he is blamed and has to pay like 10k baht for hospital treatment...!? So why is that, according to this compulsory insurance any party should get at least first 30k no matter who was at fault  ...! 

Could it be that the amount was on top or was due for loss of earnings or Thai not having compulsary insurance/tax/licence/etc. , or whatever else they managed to cook up in addition and lost in translation ...!?

First of there's a lot of barstool nonsense talk on TV. You have to try to filter out what seems reliable info.

Second, the majority of people probably don't know about the insurance coverage and don't even try to claim.

Third, most of the time there's just damage to the vehicles and that's not covered.

Fourth, quite a few people ride without license. Probably reason enough to not cover.

In how many of these cases that you have read about were the proper procedures followed? How many times did they report about insurance claims and the results?

I know of too many people, foreigners and Thai alike, that ride motorcycles without license, helmet etc. There's a good chance that in a crash both parties shouldn't have been on the road. Add to that both parties not knowing their rights and how to handle things properly... well it's a clusterfark and then it becomes a battle of emotions of who should be the one paying while in reality both should get fined and the book thrown at them ????

If you have good private insurance all these headaches go away. You just call the insurance guy to the scene and they work everything out from there. Had to do that a few times unfortunately but it always worked out fine.

• Like 1

@eisfeld It is very true what you say, unfortunately...

I am looking into getting a Type 3 insurance now, as mentioned, at least helps when/if the insurance guy turns up and helps in the procedure.

I am looking at Asia Insurance, not sure how good they are, but most cover of Type 3 are about the same really (cost about 1999b or 2199b with medical, or 2599b for "Honda"... !). The other one is on https://insure.roojai.com/motorbike website,  LMG underwriter I think, that is only 1100b for almost similar cover ! Any feedback on these appreciated.... . I think the most important thing for us here is customer service really, as farangs, their agent and response time is important...

One question, so if I ran into a little brat (or he ran into me, same same result, guilty farang !) who has no bike license, or no tax/insurance or even number plate (and probably underage), do the compulsory or these extra voluntary insurance pay anything at all, or is it back on me due to other party being totally illegal road user... !? 

Edited by Agusts

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 4:18 AM, eisfeld said:

It covers only for injuries or death. And if you are at fault then only up to 30k/35k. It doesn't cover vehicle/property damage at all.

It is always advisable to have private insurance with proper coverage.

First class insurance stops after five years, so I am asssuming I will have to change to 2nd class soon, it had better be cheaper because of less benefits.