Prachuap: Finance woman admits stealing 33 million baht of public funds to finance online gambling

webfact

Prachuap: Finance woman admits stealing 33 million baht of public funds to finance online gambling

8pm.jpg

Picture: naew Na

Officials acting on behalf of the governor of Prachuap Khiri Khan province served a court order on a 28 year old woman in the technical finance section of the local council on Saturday. 

Khanitha Hoithong was reported by Naew Na as admitting that she siphoned off 33 million baht of public money for online gambling. 

She has been charged with embezzlement by the falsification of documents.

She is the daughter of a former kamnan of Klong Wan district. She is now in custody and has been denied bail by the court.

She claims to have acted alone but provincial governor Phallop Singhaseni is not so sure and has set up a committee of inquiry into the matter. 

The case relates to money that was left over from drought relief projects. 

Records show that the suspect forged signatures to help herself to the funds that were transferred to relatives' accounts then used for gambling. 

Sometimes when the gambles paid off the money was returned. It has been going on since at least June 2019. 

Governor Phallop wants to get to the root cause of how an official in the accounts department of his administration was able to circumvent safeguards and steal public money. 

Source: Naew Na

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Governor Phallop wants to get to the root cause of how an official in the accounts department of his administration was able to circumvent safeguards and steal public money. 

Nice to see someone willing to learn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my first teaching jobs was at a small thesaban (municipal) school out in the sticks. I made many visits to city hall to do paperwork, meet with the head of education, and pose for photo ops as they rarely got farangs in those positions. Ah, it's a hard job those govt office workers got, playing on Facebook, online shopping, doing their make up, and drinking Cafe Amazon. Even my Thai colleagues would laugh and joke about this. It's not difficult to imagine how someone with access to money would get caught up in online gambling, and waste it away over the hours and days.

But I remember many stories like this back in the States as well. In those cases, they said the reason the lost amounts got to be so big, is because once the gamblers began losing a sizable amount, the pressure would be on to somehow finally score that jackpot that would bring it all back, which of course never happens.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

No way was she acting alone, 33 million and nobody noticed, ha, ha, ha.

Now lets hope the committee is made up of people in no way connected with that office.

klong wan is 10 mins away by motorbike from me  time to pop around to see if they have dropped the odd 100 000 block

And i you believe no one knew in that inbred town you really need your head examining!

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

I am happy to lower my moral standing and ethics (I mean i post and read the stuff on here) just disappointed i was not invited to the divy out..i would have paid my own petrol to get to the trough

• Like 1

33 million baht is not chicken feed ,  it's more like roast pork & sauerkraut.

she has got a lot of explaining to do , sadly as usual .....  it will all be porky pies

Thailand is the LOL land of lies.   hahaha ...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials acting on behalf of the governor of Prachuap Khiri Khan province served a court order on a 28 year old woman in the technical finance section of the local council on Saturday. 

Khanitha Hoithong was reported by Naew Na as admitting that she siphoned off 33 million baht of public money for online gambling

Wow and no-one noticed for how long?