Seeing double! Tak locals wonder what's going on after signs appear twice

webfact

Seeing double! Tak locals wonder what's going on after signs appear twice

10pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Seeing double! Locals wonder what's going on after signs appear twice

Locals in the north west of Thailand could be forgiven for thinking they had suffered from a little overindulgence in the demon drink.

Either that or they feared they were literally going round the bend.

They were left seeing double after identical road signs appeared in the Ruam Thai Pattana sub-district of Phop Phra district, Tak.

The original ones were perfectly OK but new ones had appeared all the same. 

There were signs for wiggly roads, bends, gradients and T-junctions - all doubled up. 

What was this scandalous waste of public funds?, they demanded.

The answer is not yet apparent. Sanook reported they were yet to receive an explanation from the state authority responsible for such matters.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-22

• Haha 1

This has come up before and the subject even contains the same content in discussion.

Yes, the contract is given out to replace the signs.

Process unknown as to how that need is surveyed. Maybe a handy database  with pictures?

Group 1 goes and installs the new ones.

Group 2 ( or maybe  group 1 again ? ) comes later and removes the old ones. (they are the ones with the more obvious digging marks around them ! )

Necessary or not it is what happens.

The old signs look all fine...I see many more signs in need of a replacement without any action so far.

They have also built a second u-turn under the Thai-Belgium bridge on Withayu intersection coming from Silom in BKK. Yes, I am wondering why and who made money out of it. Both u-turns are in use since then.

Edited by Mak25
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thailarry said:

Two signs or not Tak is a fine riverside town.  I most always stop there en route to Chaing Mai.  Inexpensive rooms, fine food and good people.  Try it.

It is indeed, but the signs in question are on a road near the border with Myanmar about 120km away. I have happened to travel along the aforementioned road, from Waley up to Umphang (on the way back I took the local shortcut through Burmese territory).

3 hours ago, Mak25 said:

The old signs look all fine...I see many more signs in need of a replacement without any action so far.

They have also built a second u-turn under the Thai-Belgium bridge on Withayu intersection coming from Silom in BKK. Yes, I am wondering why and who made money out of it. Both u-turns are in use since then.

Maybe that was a deliberate design? The more roads, the better. Bangkok is severely lacking in proper city planning and road surface area. It has improved over the years, but has a long way to go before everything is done. An article from last year (in Thai) mentioned the city is going to upgrade or construct 203 new roads in the city over the coming years. Hope that actually happens.

16 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Typically Thai, workers do not even know what the signs they are planting are for.

Method in the madness, Thai drivers always ignore the first sign, this is hoping they notice the second one !

• Haha 1

the thing I noticed was the 8* gradient signs. There's no way that stretch of road is 8% gradient, more like 2 - 3% gradient. Also the only gradient signs I've seen in LOS are ALL 8% even on roads that are far steeper, 15%, 25% etc.

Edited by TigerandDog

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

the thing I noticed was the 8* gradient signs. There's no way that stretch of road is 8% gradient, more like 2 - 3% gradient. Also the only gradient signs I've seen in LOS are ALL 8% even on roads that are far steeper, 15%, 25% etc.

I've been on said road. It's very flat with a very minor incline as you say. However, further up you do get very steep inclines, as you go from 200 or 300m in elevation (which is the elevation of the area where the photo was taken) all the way up to 1300m+ (I think possibly even 1600m) as you wind your way up to Umphang.