Minister plans to turn convicts into a formidable workforce to send abroad

snoop1130

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Several foreign companies, especially from Taiwan, South Korea and countries in the Middle East and Europe want Thai workers because they are known to be hard-working and disciplined.

I've no doubt that the Thai workers abroad are known to be hard working and disciplined. That is because those workers are those that have the gumption to get out and make a better life for themselves. I don't believe that can be said for the majority of Thai workers that I have experienced.

• Like 2

This is the Chinese model.

China sent tens of thousands of these characters into Africa.

IN Zambia, it became normal to hear of Chinese getting caught for burglaries and shoplifting/.  IN Zambia!!

Part of the deal with China was that China paid a certain amount per con (or ex-con) to be given the visa.

That money just disappeared into the president and his cronioes' pockets (of course).

The other thing was that China started sending really, really old people across, well past working age.

I am sure this is some sort of scam.

Massive backlash in Zambia now with Chinese being killed and businesses burnt.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, saminoz said:

IN Zambia, it became normal to hear of Chinese getting caught for burglaries and shoplifting/.  IN Zambia!!

Part of the deal with China was that China paid a certain amount per con (or ex-con) to be given the visa.

That money just disappeared into the president and his cronioes' pockets (of course).

The other thing was that China started sending really, really old people across, well past working age.

Probably a form of banishment for crimes against the current government and authority. One way to deal with dissidents.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Minister plans to turn convicts into a formidable workforce to send abroad

A formidable workforce that Thailand doesn't want ?

CV would make interesting reading:

English skills... I com fom Thailand..
Education. 5 years elementary
Skills: Drinking alcohol & gambling... trick motorcycling.
Previous work experience: shop-lifting, petty theft, auto/cycle theft, road side snatches, pick-pocketing, drugs, violence.

Driving licence... 555

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2

Nothing wrong with reforming prisoners and giving them jobs. Great idea, in fact.

But sending them to foreign countries especially during a pandemic? The dumbest idea I've ever heard. Thailand is in dire straits, and reportedly there are millions of unemployed. Why not focus on getting the country back to full employment, fire the Burmese and Cambodians who are taking away jobs from Thais and THEN IF and only IF foreign countries have a demand for Thai workers, send them abroad then?

I think the day when the Thai economy will be back to decent shape is a long way off, therefore, no Thai should even think about leaving the country right now, and probably isn't even being admitted to a foreign country anyway.

1 hour ago, saminoz said:

Interesting.

China is a little different to Thailand in the sense that China has a huge diaspora abroad. The Chinese can seemingly live anywhere on Earth, even under the toughest conditions, as long as they can escape China, they don't care. Thais are generally not as keen on escaping from their homeland, except if they're political dissidents.

The Thai diaspora mostly consists of 2 categories: 1) Thais married to westerners living in the west or 2) university students studying in the west, with a few who've decided to stay on after finishing their studies, but not necessarily indefinitely. They remain in their Thai-speaking "bubbles". The majority of Thai women living in the west long-term, even in category 2) are married to, or in relationships with westerners who are native citizens of the countries they live in.

The Chinese aren't big on inter-racial or inter-national relationships. Sure, some occur, but generally speaking, you either see a lone Chinese male living abroad, occasionally hooking up with a local, but usually only if it's in another Asian country where the cultural differences are smaller, or an entire Chinese family goes to live somewhere like Zambia. Chinese-western or Chinese-African relationships occur, but to a far lesser extent than in the case of Thais.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saminoz said:

I forgot to mention, same thing starting to happen in Cambodia, especially Sihanoukville. Most of the criminal activity, usually involving gangland murders, kidnappings, extortion etc. involves Chinese nationals in that city. Some of the incidents are between Cambodians and Chinese, which has led to a lot of resentment among the native Cambodian population, who, along with a small number of western expats, have mostly been driven out of the city in recent years.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day, an anti-Chinese riot takes place in Cambodia.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In a move to help convicts start a new life after prison, Justice Minister Somsak Thepsutin is planning to launch a campaign to boost their professional and language skills so they can find work overseas.

only in Thailand... breaking & entering ?

overseas companies will not ask for a certificate of good behavior ? 

Maybe there is some sort of crazy logic to this - I was involved with a Thai crew in Africa and they were  brilliant - even better than  the other   English speaking workers in the Asian region .

I must say It was a bit  of a disappointment when I employed a couple of Thais  to do up my condo  in Thailand - mostly missing  in action two or three days a week etc .

I now realize the Thais  working abroad were the cream of the crop. !

2 hours ago, saminoz said:

May we see a link please?

20 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Geez...sounds like the Admiralty in 1787.

Let's export our convicts to Botany Bay...great beaches..hopping kangaroos..and the odd waltzing Matilda or two.

The British actually started transportation as a penalty in 1610 when they were transported to " its overseas colonies in the Americas".  It only stopped to the colonies in the Americas when the cousins over there got a bit uppity and revolted. Something called the war of independence ensued and the colonies with assistance from France prevailed.  So a new destination for the non conforming bread stealing swine was required as well as political prisoners.

On the original post, is this guy needs his meds adjusted. Try working overseas with a criminal conviction, doable but not easy.

Cheers

• Like 1

If prostitution is legalized, and the working Girls can work abroad ( and legally send money back as Earnings ) and all these  Ex Cons are sent abroad to work, the Gov,t has quite a money stream coming in from these sources.

I dont know what the perception of Thailand would be Globally for this little exercise.

And as for ( a correctional Facility turned Industrial Estate )Words fail me

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Geez...sounds like the Admiralty in 1787.

Let's export our convicts to Botany Bay...great beaches..hopping kangaroos..and the odd waltzing Matilda or two.

And I'm glad they did or I would not have any skeletons in my closet :clap2:

• Like 1

1. Labour shortage in Thailand resulting in migrant workers sending cash out of the country.

2. Which countries are going to give work visas to known ex-convicts?

3. If they can teach cons English, why cant they teach it properly to Thai students?

On 6/22/2020 at 5:51 PM, snoop1130 said:

hard-working and disciplined

Where has this myth arisen?  Generally they are shiftless, lazy and have no idea what a day's work looks like.  That's why they have to import proper workers from surrounding countries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Where has this myth arisen?  Generally they are shiftless, lazy and have no idea what a day's work looks like.  That's why they have to import proper workers from surrounding countries.

As I posted earlier, Thai workers abroad may well have a good reputation.

Those who are shiftless, lazy and have no idea what a day's work looks like are not going to have the get-up-and-go to go abroad to work.

There are many hard working Thai people, but they generally see little reward for their efforts, those are the type that will go to work in a different country. Those are the type that give Thai workers abroad a good reputation.

"Several foreign companies, especially from Taiwan, South Korea and countries in the Middle East and Europe want Thai workers because they are known to be hard-working and disciplined."

this makes sense as it is well researched and been clearly determined that those who end up in prison are bountifully endowed with these characteristics.

It might be connected with overcrowded prisons, and they expecting more civil unrest in next few months because of bad economic situatuin, so they will send bad guys out for they can have space for things that i am sure are coming... Who will survive on 5000 thb, millions out of work, Junta targeting wealthy tourists and ruining economy even more while they are filling their offshore accounts... Welcome to Thailand 2020 the prosperous country, same as PM said Thailand 2015-2020 global force....all i see what happened is massive influx of Chinese and more unemployed people. Thats is his achievements in 5 years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NB1986 said:

ruining economy even more while they are filling their offshore accounts... Welcome to Thailand 2020 the prosperous country, same as PM said Thailand 2015-2020 global force....all i see what happened is massive influx of Chinese and more unemployed people. Thats is his achievements in 5 years. 

please be a bit more specific with your assumptions ....

Do you have proof that they are filling their offshore accounts  ?  or is this a false accusation ?

Who is they & their  ?

Ruining economy ? please explain what actually happened.

What has an influx of Chinese got to do with the Topic at hand ?  and what has the Chinese got to do with the unemployed  ?

Thanks.  I'm waiting with baited breath ...

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

some are good workers and many are lazy .... I've worked with diligent thais and lazy sit back thais.

Same in any country ..... I wouldn't say they were any better than other countries. 

I found the Irish to be the best workers.

Edited by steven100