Jump to content
BANGKOK
JHicks

What are the odds of a Schengen visa?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm not expecting to be able to get into Thailand for a good few months and was wondering about inviting someone to come over to Europe for a few weeks, maybe to Spain or Greece but it doesn't matter that much really. I'm not sure whether the borders are open to Thais just now, but if they're not I expect they soon will be, so I'm focusing on the visa situation. I've read the sticky - the reason for the trip would be that I can't go to Thailand as planned, so will be heading to Europe and would like her to come with me. She's always wanted to see it and there won't be a better time. She's 28 and has family ties to her parents and sister but no kids. She has a job in a hotel but it's fairly casual really - it's not like a career she's spent years building or anything. I have Line messages going back a couple of years showing that we have been in touch regularly in that time. She came to Ho Chi Minh to see me one time and went home afterwards, but I get that that's not really the same. She's never been to the west. I have bank statements etc to show that I can cover the cost of the trip.

 

Is it worth her while applying for a visa? If it's unlikely to be granted I'd rather wait it out and see her next year. It'd be frustrating to apply and start planning everything only for the application to be turned down, but if there's a decent chance I'll mention it to her and see what she thinks.

Edited by JHicks
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Seems unfair that Thais would be allowed to visit Europe soon but not Europeans heading in the other direction. I am talking about touristic visits here, like the one you are proposing.

 

I would have thought countries would work out reciprocal arrangements between each other first.

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all up in the air now but based on Bangkok Post visitors may gradually be allowed within 1...3 months. Keep an eye on the news.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, drbeach said:

Seems unfair that Thais would be allowed to visit Europe soon but not Europeans heading in the other direction. I am talking about touristic visits here, like the one you are proposing.

 

I would have thought countries would work out reciprocal arrangements between each other first.

You could certainly argue that, but then I have to deal with the situation as it is and I can't really help whether it's fair or not. The other side of the argument is that from an EU point of view Thailand is an extremely low risk country, but from a Thai point of view pretty much anywhere in Europe is a high risk country. On top of that, mindsets are very different - so I'm not that surprised to see the EU announcing that it's going to open up to low risk countries in the coming weeks, when Thailand is being much more cautious.

 

The risk on the Thai side is more that if she left she'd have to do 2 weeks quarantine on return, I guess.

 

Anyway, I'd still like to know the odds of getting a visa. I don't think it costs that much to apply so we could just try and see, but I don't want to get her hopes up if it doesn't fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 12:21 AM, drbeach said:

Seems unfair that Thais would be allowed to visit Europe soon but not Europeans heading in the other direction. I am talking about touristic visits here, like the one you are proposing.

 

I would have thought countries would work out reciprocal arrangements between each other first.

If it would be really reciprocal then Thais shouldn't need a visa for the Schengen area at all if they stay no longer than 4 weeks. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2020 at 6:57 PM, JHicks said:

Is it worth her while applying for a visa? If it's unlikely to be granted I'd rather wait it out and see her next year. It'd be frustrating to apply and start planning everything only for the application to be turned down...

Visa will be under Schengen rules. You have, or rather your friend has two options.

 

The one option is an invitation from you, based on a letter with the invitation, where you are financial guarantor and show proof of income, or savings, and proof of home with space enough. Furthermore your friend need to show some funds of her own, that she has a work and ties to Thailand, so she will return and not try to stay in a Schengen country – that's often the most important part – and finally, when a visa is granted, shows a return ticket and travel insurance.

 

The other option is a tourists visa, which require your friend to show funds, tie to Thailand, as above, a detailed travel agenda, bookings of hotel(s) and/or room(s) for the whole trip – or an invitation if a private stay, which could be checked by local authorities before granting a visa – and a return ticket and travel insurance when collecting a granted visa.

 

Your friend shall apply for visa in the embassy of the country of arrival, or the country with the longest Schengen-stay. Check with each possible country's actual demands and expected handling time for visa, which could be several weeks.

 

I have tried both methods with success, however the tourists visa was the most difficult – the rooms should be prepaid, so not only a reservation that could be cancelled – I had to use tourist visa when I had moved out to Thailand, and therefore no longer a home inside Schengen, when my girlfriend and I wished to visit Europe.

 

Wish you good luck with your plan...🙂

Edited by khunPer
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your main sticking point is probably the flight; until you can book firm then you can’t proceed as the tickets are required for the application. You appear to be planning to meet on ‘neutral’ ground so presumably will be using an hotel (booking obviously required) so it sounds like a pretty straightforward tourist visit requiring the above two, plus photo, travel insurance, Letter showing proof of funds in Thai bank and proof of residence.

 

The ‘hidden’ problem is getting an appointment at the relevant embassy; I applied for Greece in March and they were offering dates in July. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 7:21 PM, drbeach said:

Seems unfair that Thais would be allowed to visit Europe soon but not Europeans heading in the other direction. I am talking about touristic visits here, like the one you are proposing.

 

I would have thought countries would work out reciprocal arrangements between each other first.

At present some countries may be open to Non-EU citizens, some are not officially. You may need to quarantine and C19 neg. test.

While Austria isn't open a Pakistani arrived last week via Doha, travelled across Austria and fell ill with C19. How he got in without test etc. go figure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2020 at 11:57 PM, JHicks said:

I have Line messages going back a couple of years 

Why would you keep messages for that length of time. Do you go back and read them again thinking 'Aww she really does love me'

Old saved messages on a phone have caused more break-ups when found than promoting true love

Edited by stouricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Visa will be under Schengen rules. You have, or rather your friend has two options.

 

The one option is an invitation from you, based on a letter with the invitation, where you are financial guarantor and show proof of income, or savings, and proof of home with space enough. Furthermore your friend need to show some funds of her own, that she has a work and ties to Thailand, so she will return and not try to stay in a Schengen country – that's often the most important part – and finally, when a visa is granted, shows a return ticket and travel insurance.

 

The other option is a tourists visa, which require your friend to show funds, tie to Thailand, as above, a detailed travel agenda, bookings of hotel(s) and/or room(s) for the whole trip – or an invitation if a private stay, which could be checked by local authorities before granting a visa – and a return ticket and travel insurance when collecting a granted visa.

 

Your friend shall apply for visa in the embassy of the country of arrival, or the country with the longest Schengen-stay. Check with each possible country's actual demands and expected handling time for visa, which could be several weeks.

 

I have tried both methods with success, however the tourists visa was the most difficult – the rooms should be prepaid, so not only a reservation that could be cancelled – I had to use tourist visa when I had moved out to Thailand, and therefore no longer a home inside Schengen, when my girlfriend and I wished to visit Europe.

 

Wish you good luck with your plan...🙂

Thanks. I am a UK passport holder so I think it has to be the tourist route. The rooms may not be a massive problem as I will go anyway, so it's just a case of adding her on the booking. If paying for the flight can be put off, that's the main thing. Good to know someone has had success with this route.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

Your main sticking point is probably the flight; until you can book firm then you can’t proceed as the tickets are required for the application. You appear to be planning to meet on ‘neutral’ ground so presumably will be using an hotel (booking obviously required) so it sounds like a pretty straightforward tourist visit requiring the above two, plus photo, travel insurance, Letter showing proof of funds in Thai bank and proof of residence.

 

The ‘hidden’ problem is getting an appointment at the relevant embassy; I applied for Greece in March and they were offering dates in July. 

I think you can book firm, but the airline can still cancel. I have a flight to Thailand booked in August - I'm sure I won't be on it (it's a flex fare and I will eventually use the ticket) but it's not a provisional booking. I hadn't initially picked up on the fact that you have to pitch up in person at the embassy. That's quite a trip if you live near Sukhothai and the application is a gamble.

13 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Why would you keep messages for that length of time. Do you go back and read them again thinking 'Aww she really does love me'

OK you got me... but then I have messages from the cleaner from 2 years ago as well - hopefully she doesn't love me ;-)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JHicks said:

Thanks. I am a UK passport holder so I think it has to be the tourist route. The rooms may not be a massive problem as I will go anyway, so it's just a case of adding her on the booking. If paying for the flight can be put off, that's the main thing. Good to know someone has had success with this route.

I think you can book firm, but the airline can still cancel. I have a flight to Thailand booked in August - I'm sure I won't be on it (it's a flex fare and I will eventually use the ticket) but it's not a provisional booking. I hadn't initially picked up on the fact that you have to pitch up in person at the embassy. That's quite a trip if you live near Sukhothai and the application is a gamble.

OK you got me... but then I have messages from the cleaner from 2 years ago as well - hopefully she doesn't love me 😉

And has she finally come round to clean?    PML  555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 6:38 PM, JHicks said:

Anyway, I'd still like to know the odds of getting a visa. I don't think it costs that much to apply so we could just try and see, but I don't want to get her hopes up if it doesn't fly.

You should be aware that freedom of movement is restricted at this point in time so very unlikely any applications would be accepted.

Going forward it looks like origin may be a factor, UK could be more problematic than Thailand.

 

At the same time, the Commission has recommended that the Member States should start allowing third-country nationals to enter the EU starting from July 1, gradually and partially, based on the epidemiological situation in each third-country.

These recommendations include the resumption of visa operations abroad so that the nationals of the 105 required to apply for a Schengen visa to travel to the EU, will be able to submit their applications.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-commission-lays-out-guidance-for-resumption-of-visa-operations/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Letseng said:

At present some countries may be open to Non-EU citizens, some are not officially. You may need to quarantine and C19 neg. test.

While Austria isn't open a Pakistani arrived last week via Doha, travelled across Austria and fell ill with C19. How he got in without test etc. go figure.

Well the other thing is, I can't see how a Thai tourist would be able to leave for Europe and then return to Thailand, if they need to apply for permission to return and then do a 2-week quarantine upon arrival back home. It would basically ensure the number of Thai tourists is basically zero. What company would allow a Thai to go on holidays to Europe (or even a business trip) and then have that person away for an unknown number of weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why worry about bringing her to Europe? A Thai can travel visa free to Turkey when things are vaguely back to normal. Or they were the last time I looked. Some beautiful places in Turkey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...