Leading ecologist says Pattaya is the cleanest and most beautiful in twenty years - great time to visit!

webfact

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

On Saturday, a friend and I drove down from Bangkok to Pattaya for a bit of sightseeing and to have lunch. 

Got some great drone shots.  Would be nice if the place could stay this way.

pattaya1.jpg

Pattaya3.jpg

pattayabeach.jpg

Gorgeous photos.  Thanks.  And, that's what I am talking about--Pattaya Beach looks great now. 

• Like 1

"less noise from horns...". Obviously the professor has not ventured around town to hear the indigenous species called "mutatio in pravum vinea scooter mitras". (Obnoxious modified scooter mufflers). 

Edited by Benmart
Delete words
  • Like 1

Doesn’t make thailand’s top ten beach towns....

they haven’t figured out how to management trash collection and litter given their population density...while this problem is systemic in thailand, pop density is far greater in pattaya than other beach towns which means more garbage improperly managed 

14 hours ago, Thechook said:

So no more sewage flowing onto the sand and into the ocean?

Not at the moment, but wait till the hotels are fully opened and occupied, also the street vender putting their waste water/oil down the drainage pipes ????

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

He says it’s a beautiful place now because no tourists then he is calling people up to visiting now ??

Why don't you (shock) just try reading exactly what he said rather trying to put words in his mouth to achieve another negative spin? He did suggest "his friends" might want to visit now. So? Meanwhile, he thinks Pattaya Beach is the most beautiful it's been in the last 20 years. You may post pics when it was better, if you wish. The beach, mind you.

Edited by BigStar

12 hours ago, Benmart said:

"less noise from horns...". Obviously the professor has not ventured around town to hear the indigenous species called "mutatio in pravum vinea scooter mitras". (Obnoxious modified scooter mufflers). 

Turns out he was talking about the beach. Next.

10 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Doesn’t make thailand’s top ten beach towns....

they haven’t figured out how to management trash collection and litter given their population density...while this problem is systemic in thailand, pop density is far greater in pattaya than other beach towns which means more garbage improperly managed 

But he wasn't comparing it to other beach towns in Thailand or anywhere else.

14 hours ago, newnative said:

Gorgeous photos.  Thanks.  And, that's what I am talking about--Pattaya Beach looks great now. 

Yes, thanks. Only good thing--and true thing--to come out of this thread full of the usual noise pollution.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Not at the moment, but wait till the hotels are fully opened and occupied, also the street vender putting their waste water/oil down the drainage pipes ????

We always look forward to that happy future. ????

3 hours ago, balo said:

He forgot to look around the corner , 100 meters away it looks like this.  

1281-n16-rubbish.jpg

Yeah, don't talk about a better beach. We don't like that. Just talk about a trash pile away from the beach. YES!???? But I think, since it's your topic, you must now tell our TVF Ecologists whether it's the most beautiful it's been for the last 20 years. Also you need to compare it to other trash piles throughout Thailand and the world to demonstrate superior beauty of trash piles everywhere but here. On the other hand, what about that trash pile on Koh Larn? Hasn't got any love here in a while. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

He even compared Pattaya's cleanliness favorable to the upmarket Thong Lo/Ekamai area where he lives in Bangkok.

There you go, a real expert. Ekamai's ocean is a good one to compare to!

Both police forces are notoriously inept and corrupt.  The Thong Lo one was operating the pee-test on the sidewalk scam for years.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, webfact said:

Professor Thon Thamrongnawasawat - a lecturer at Bangkok's Kasetsart university who has written more than 100 books

Having a lot of experience with Thai academicians, I question that he has "written more than 100 books".  No mention is made of his age, when he started writing his books, whether the books are academic, or novels, or whatever, nor was it stated what the subjects were.  None of my academic friends around the world have come anywhere close to 100 books but one Thai instructor at a Teachers College admitted she had over 100 publications.  Upon questioning she eventually revealed that her "publications" were translations into Thai but she had not provided the original authors with credit for writing any of them, thus she is guilty of academic plagiarism.  I would believe the same happened here and doubt his credibility because from looking at his photograph he appears to be too young to have that many books to his credit unless they were translations or were the "books" printed pages that he hands out to his students?

'nuf sed.

Edited by wotsdermatter
added info

17 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Fantastic shots and well done! Please forgive me, but as an ex-volunteer with the Tourist Police (who regularly used drones at large festivals etc,) may I post the Thai drone regulations just in case someone like your good self, decides to invest in a drone. Thank you.

General Rules for Flying a Drone in Thailand

Based on our research and interpretation of the laws, here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Thailand.

• All drones must be registered if they 1) Have a camera, and 2) Weigh 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) or more. Register here.
  • Drones weighing more than 25 kilograms (55 pounds) must be registered with the Minister of Transport.
  • Drone pilots must maintain a visual line of sight with their drone at all times.
  • Drones must not be flown close to manned aircraft
  • Drones must not be flown close to any person, vehicle, construction, or buildings at distance less than 30 meters (98 feet) horizontally.
  • Drones must not be flown in restricted areas without authorization.
  • Drones must not be flown within 9 kilometers (5 miles) from an airport or temporary airfield except with special authorization.
  • Drones must not be flown higher than 90 meters (295 feet).

Thanks.   Yes the drone is registered.  The pilot works closely with the TAT and can get permission to fly almost anywhere.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Having a lot of experience with Thai academicians, I question that he has "written more than 100 books".  No mention is made of his age, when he started writing his books, whether the books are academic, or novels, or whatever, nor was it stated what the subjects were.  None of my academic friends around the world have come anywhere close to 100 books but one Thai instructor at a Teachers College admitted she had over 100 publications.  Upon questioning she eventually revealed that her "publications" were translations into Thai but she had not provided the original authors with credit for writing any of them, thus she is guilty of academic plagiarism.  I would believe the same happened here and doubt his credibility because from looking at his photograph he appears to be too young to have that many books to his credit unless they were translations or were the "books" printed pages that he hands out to his students?

'nuf sed.

Perhaps he translated Enid Blyton's books.....

7 hours ago, balo said:

He forgot to look around the corner , 100 meters away it looks like this.  

1281-n16-rubbish.jpg

Typical B.S. from a Pattaya hater  :bah:

- this picture is several years old, and this temporary "trash incident" had been quickly solved

- this place is Sukhumvit Soi 12, north of Naklua, barely in Pattaya, in a non-residential area, and more than 5 km of Pattaya beach!

Edited by Pattaya46

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Typical B.S. from a Pattaya hater  :bah:

- this picture is several years old, and this temporary "trash incident" had been quickly solved

- this place is Sukhumvit Soi 12, north of Naklua, barely in Pattaya, in a non-residential area, and more than 5 km of Pattaya beach!

You are completely wrong, I love Pattaya.  

But I hate trash, if you want a more recent picture from Jomtien I am sure we can provide you with that. As we all know the side sois in Pattaya are full of it.

Edited by balo

6 hours ago, balo said:

But I hate trash, if you want a more recent picture from Jomtien I am sure we can provide you with that. As we all know the side sois in Pattaya are full of it.

Ah. The topic isn't about an ecologist's opinion about the beach but is actually about balo and his hatred of trash. So, yes, a pic of just any ol' trash pile will do. Phony outdated pic outside of Pattaya away from the beach, no problem.

But then in a topic about balo the question becomes, is that all balo hates? Just trash? What about, for example,

• crotch-grabbing ladyboys
  • traffic police targeting farangs
  • tour buses clogging streets and polluting
  • scooters with loud exhausts
  • overhanging signs
  • broken or blocked pavements
  • potholes
  • unsightly cables
  • closed shop houses?

Like you, we're all dying to get off that unsatisfactory beach topic. Disgustingly, that ecologist--worse, a Thai ecologist--is just (cough) entitled to his own opinion and horrors! it happens to be right. If we can all just start ranting on some of our other fave topics and have fun showing outdated, highly selective pics, maybe not even of Pattaya, we can keep this going for at least 30 pages.

• Haha 1

Well seeing how the domestic tourism is getting off the ground, everyone better

enjoy those clean beach scenes as if the locals treat the beaches

like they do their own villages and towns, there will be garbage everywhere

very soon. Thai attitude will not change in my lifetime and I know it.

Thank God for hotel pools.

Geezer

• Like 2