Mazda goes Isuzu

transam

Could be old news here, the 2021 Mazda is made by and based on an Isuzu. 190hp 3.0 turbo diesel. Totally new build for Mazda.

Certainly looks better than other brand resent designs........

mazda-bt-50-2021-7.thumb.jpg.a7a0c663b704e5ec43364881f408ea47.jpg

Edited by transam

"Could be old news here, the 2021 Mazda is made by and based on an Isuzu. 190hp 3.0 turbo diesel. Totally new build for Mazda.

Certainly looks better than other brand resent designs........"

Not a patch on the MG Extender!

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

so it is back to the 1990's  Mazda & Isuzu.

Never understood Mazda has the Skyactiv technologies 2.2 Diesel engine why they do/did not use it  ?? reports were this engine was the best of any make made..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I love the Imperial units systems that are based in no science whatsoever. Horsepower; what kind of horse is that based on? is it an old horse with a limp or a young horse?

Wikipedia will give you a interesting history lesson on horsepower & evolving incarnations......

More than you'd ever really want to know (& possibly a horsepower headache).....

in my 43 years working as an outside salesman I have had over 20 vehicles, 7 of which were Mazda, including an RX-7 sports rotary engine. All other vehicles were American made of various manufacture. The Mazda cars were the most durable, high mileage and low maintenance cars; the best vehicles ever! It was disappointing to see Ford leave Mazda as I felt Ford had a positive influence on Mazda.

Oops, my last car was a SAAB, another fantastic automobile!   

• Confused 1

Just listen to any Izuzu baht bus (songkeu) that's done a few miles, the rattle bang crash noises coming from the engine will tell you the Ford 3.2l 5cyl was just so much better, I'll be sticking to my Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 and giving the new Mazda Izuzu a big miss thank you....!

• Sad 1

On 6/23/2020 at 3:16 PM, pgrahmm said:

Any step away from Ford's influence is a good step....

Probably a wise marketing decision....

By casual observation the Ford/Mazda buying craze seems to have crashed after the newness & color buying frenzy wound down seems the Thai's went back to tried & true quality......

Ford sold it's controlling interest in Mazda about 12 years ago and completely split 5 years ago. Prior to that, Fords "influence" extended to shared chassis' and some powertrains'. Mazda's engines, design and distribution has always been bespoke.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:48 AM, NanLaew said:

Ford sold it's controlling interest in Mazda about 12 years ago and completely split 5 years ago. Prior to that, Fords "influence" extended to shared chassis' and some powertrains'. Mazda's engines, design and distribution has always been bespoke.

Addendum

...with the notable exception of Mazda's range of BT pick-ups that did share Duratorq engines with Ford's Ranger series in Thailand and small-sized SUV's in other markets (Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape).

• Thanks 1