Thai MP proposes to legalise prostitution

webfact

"Taxing them on their earnings would be a bonanza for state coffers."

First. I am not sure if the fee given by the client to the bartender is annouced to the taxes.

Second . I am not sure if the workers declare what they receive from customer when they go out of the bar.

• Like 1

prostitution happens multiple times per second. you cannot say it is illegal and stop it. You absolutely must know you cannot stop it. It is a means of income for some and entertainment for others and can really be a lot more. Legal or illegal it is going to happen. Do law makers seriously understand that? Got it!!!

If it is illegal then it allows powerful men to abuse the man and woman participating. They can arrest them. They can take money from them. There would be no other reason. maybe they think arrest is a punishment. That really a bad way to stop anything. That simply make people me angry and solves nothing...NOTHING!

If it is illegal, in other words a crime has been commited, then an arrest must lead to education, prevention, rehab. That cost a lot of money and seldom works. So just punish and make it worse. That does not seem to be the answer. 

I always found sex rather more enjoyable when the person I was engaging in the act with, wanted to do it with me because they liked me. 
Call me old-fashioned!

But yes - would make sense to legalise the whole thing. 

Will probably save countless lives.

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Can't see many girls agreeing with this one ................LOL

Why would anyone want to pay tax in a country like this where most of it is stolen by the gangsters in power...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

prostitution happens multiple times per second. you cannot say it is illegal and stop it. You absolutely must know you cannot stop it. It is a means of income for some and entertainment for others and can really be a lot more. Legal or illegal it is going to happen. Do law makers seriously understand that? Got it!!!

If it is illegal then it allows powerful men to abuse the man and woman participating. They can arrest them. They can take money from them. There would be no other reason. maybe they think arrest is a punishment. That really a bad way to stop anything. That simply make people me angry and solves nothing...NOTHING!

If it is illegal, in other words a crime has been commited, then an arrest must lead to education, prevention, rehab. That cost a lot of money and seldom works. So just punish and make it worse. That does not seem to be the answer. 

Thats exactly what the politician in saying isn't it? I think most would agree, at least on here.

9 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmm...legalising something that has been the backbone of adult entertainment in Thailand for decades..... curious indeed ?

Well in a modern society you really only have 2 choices, legalise the industry and try and clean it up or make it illegal and eradicate it. Most would understand that eradicating prostitution in Thailand is not going to happen, so legalise it. Same could be said for cannabis, which seems to be the growing solution all over the world. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5633572526 said:

There is not a man alive who hasn’t paid for sex. Dinner out, movies, drinks, flowers, holidays, that new car, the house, wedding rings and or dowries depending on where you are. 2 divorces cost me more for bad sex than I will pay the rest of my life for good sex here ????

What nonsense, I have never been desperate enough to pay a woman for sex,,, paying for dinner for your Mrs is hardly the same as agreeing a transaction for sex. You are basically saying that anyone who has a sexual relationship is sleeping with a hooker, and all women are hookers! I would like to see you convince my wife of that..r indeed any other woman on the face of the earth! ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A truly sensible proposal, however in the time of covid, perhaps not the best time to bring it up.

Other concern is how many will continue to practice in the greynarea to avoild the label sex worker.

The legislation may be truly progressive for a change, however the uptake from workers may be less than desired.

As for taxation, they have enough difficulty monitoring legitmate businesses. Good luck monitoring sex workers.

Edited by n00dle

27 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

I always found sex rather more enjoyable when the person I was engaging in the act with, wanted to do it with me because they liked me. 
Call me old-fashioned!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

Call me old-fashioned!

Finally, a sensible person who speaks the truth. Your view is not old fashioned at all my friend, I love my wife dearly, she is my soul mate, I am blessed to have found her. We have a beautiful son and are very happy. She takes care of me and I her, yes of course money is involved but that does not make my wife a hooker, as someone here has suggested that all men pay for sex.

To be frank I find it very sad for men who feel that a prostitute is a substitute for a lifelong partner, they have obviously not met the right woman. I saw a documentary of a guy who moved to Thailand, dumped his UK life with wife and kids and believed a life living it up in Thailand was the way to go, after all you only live once right! He was vey unhappy, his meaningless sex with countless hookers was no substitution for a loving relationship and he deeply regretted his decision and found he had lost purpose in life. Thailand is full of guys like this, it is very sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Well about time.

Prostitution is there anyway. 

It helps fulfilling a natural need.

It helps people make honest money

Why can't sex be a comodity among others?

Making it legal gives rights to the prostitutes and can make them independant from pims.

Pims are not necessary anyway. 

Don't disagree with you. Some sensible countries have legalized it.

But some have tightened their laws against it. This is a direct result of the feminist lobby. 

With your views above, stay away from the feminists. They aren't the most tolerant of people, especially to men!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Don't disagree with you. Some sensible countries have legalized it.

But some have tightened their laws against it. This is a direct result of the feminist lobby. 

With your views above, stay away from the feminists. They aren't the most tolerant of people, especially to men!

"This is a direct result of the feminist lobby." ???????? Yeh, cause prostitution has always been considered an honourable profession not plagued with issues until the feminist lobby got hold of it. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

progress is hindered by some old dinosaur MPs who hail from World War II.

I personally found this quite an amazing comment from a Thai MP referring to his fellow country persons, especially those MP's in "upper establishment". Some may hail from World War 11 (as I do) but I believe their beliefs and behavior go way back to the medieval ages!!

Out of interest, I presume "prostitution" includes both sexes?

Well, it has never been a 'service' that I have ever used so whether it is a 'worth while service' or an overrated/overpriced 'industry', I don't know. We all know the possible present health issues so my question would be, would it be any better in Thailand if it were controlled? What I really mean is, would it BE properly controlled? If it is anywhere as good as previous attempts at 'traffic control (deaths of)' then perhaps it wouldn't be any different to what it is now (whatever that might be).

Wonder if the government would have 'training' venues Ha!????

But, but........  A few months ago we were told that there wasn't any prostitution in Thailand, or was it just no prostitution in Pattaya? ! forget now - so much contradictory information going about "these days"! ????   

10 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

"This is a direct result of the feminist lobby." ???????? Yeh, cause prostitution has always been considered an honourable profession not plagued with issues until the feminist lobby got hold of it. 

Whatever, I'll stick to the "make love not war" league.  

The feminist league is only disgusting if they want money (alimony) without working for it. 

4 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Whatever, I'll stick to the "make love not war" league.  

The feminist league is only disgusting if they want money (alimony) without working for it. 

Make love not war is not usually a phrase coined by mysogynists. 

The idea has merit & he has done well to discuss it in the open.

It needs careful thought & I for one getting too old to care one way or the other.

The massive industry in the formal Thai area (have a look at Suttisan massage prtlours)

where can have 500 girls in a "fish bowl" & the rake off is massive but going into almost criminal hands

The above cater mainly for Thais. Most farang do not even know the scale of these "clubs".

In favour      decriminalize (No pimps & no police payments needed.

gov't coffers helped through taxes

health checks easier forworkers as less stigma

easier ID for customers of chosen as have official number

There are many more but we can discuss further later.

Interesting to note in NZ where it is legal no males are allowed to run any businesses associated 

with this profession (think about that)

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

There is not a man alive who hasn’t paid for sex. Dinner out, movies, drinks, flowers, holidays, that new car, the house, wedding rings and or dowries depending on where you are. 2 divorces cost me more for bad sex than I will pay the rest of my life for good sex here ????

Depends on what you consider good sex.  Girlfriends and wives want to have sex with you as part of a loving relationship. They are doing it because they want you.  Paying a prostitute to have sex with you is just a business transaction which she doesn't actually want to do but has to as it's her job.

That is fine as long as you are not kidding yourself that it is anything different.

• Like 1