Thai MP proposes to legalise prostitution

webfact

4 minutes ago, thaigrifter said:

Not everyone is a sex tourist.

most people are not i think you will find. I do know 2 guys who bought Thai bar girls back to the Uk and married them, both women got their UK passports and both then left the older guys,,, ????

Shouldn't laugh but what did they expect. Any thinking man would see that coming a mile away. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Legalise both weed and prostitution. As it stands, it's a shadow economy dominated by criminal gangs. Tax it, so you can regulate and make it safer and cleaner for the workers in those industries (not to mention the doe that would roll into the government coffers). The only thing that's stopping Thailand from doing so is some weird notion of traditional conservative values. Thailand has never been that conservative anyway apart from the very top echelons of society. Grow up and realize that just because it's not legal doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Everyone knows it's there anyway , pretending it's not doesn't make it go away. Own it and make it better one way or the other. Either legalise and make money from it or actually enforce the prohibition instead of having funds go into shady pockets.

18 minutes ago, Abmong said:

Legalise both weed and prostitution. As it stands, it's a shadow economy dominated by criminal gangs. Tax it, so you can regulate and make it safer and cleaner for the workers in those industries (not to mention the doe that would roll into the government coffers). The only thing that's stopping Thailand from doing so is some weird notion of traditional conservative values. Thailand has never been that conservative anyway apart from the very top echelons of society. Grow up and realize that just because it's not legal doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Everyone knows it's there anyway , pretending it's not doesn't make it go away. Own it and make it better one way or the other. Either legalise and make money from it or actually enforce the prohibition instead of having funds go into shady pockets.

Exactly my view. Enforce the law and end corruption on this issue or legalise it and do it properly. You say everyone knows it is there but prior to this post I have posted before all of the prostitution in Thailand and was shot down by people denying it's existence,,, there are many people Thai and foreign with their head in the sand and there lies the problem.

13 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Can't wait to see the detailed tax return

And we falangs could become tax deductable as sex toys although with age we may be classified as a charitable donation..... or liability!

All for protection of the ladies and legit contribution to the state, etc etc. Bear in mind, however, that those that need to pay for it will be hit in da wallet. As noted, of course, it'd come with a huge loss of face so won't happen. :passifier:

Edited by daveAustin

47 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

All for protection of the ladies and legit contribution to the state, etc etc. Bear in mind, however, that those that need to pay for it will be hit in da wallet. As noted, of course, it'd come with a huge loss of face so won't happen. :passifier:

Oh poor you, I could start a fund raising campaign for you in Europe, we can call it "hooker aid", for all the for unfortunate expats who cant afford the prostitute prices since the tax introduction, I am sure it will be a hit.????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Taxing them on their earnings would be a bonanza for state coffers.

And how are they going to be taxed on "cash-in-hand" transactions?

It would be like asking a Win rider... how much do you make a month?

17 hours ago, webfact said:

his committee progress is hindered by some old dinosaur MPs who hail from World War II. But there is a new breed of forward thinkers who are pressing for change. 

WW2 really?  I hope the new breed of thinkers are under 100 years old. 

19 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I think this proposed legalization is more like a backdoor ban or a steel fist in a velvet glove....

Legalization sounds good but you can bet your last dollar that there will be lots and lots and lots of rules regulations fees testing registration forms id cards tax numbers etc etc etc..........A whole boatload......

So in reality legalizing will be raising the cost  a lot and reducing the supply a lot.........

No way government is going to let this cat out of the bag with out expecting massive control and oversight...   

If prostitution was made legal, just think of all the rules the government could make up, a lot more than 22 for a start, they would be in their glory, all that power? What are they waiting for?

This is still a stone age country trying halfheartedly to adapt to modern enlightened societies (which have their own big problems, but at least they have the traditions and history). Things work here because of cultural consensus and consent, not because of any rule of law. The upper levels of the financial system needs rules, but the rest just proceeds by conventions. The hypocrisy about prostitution is one of the conventions. The system isn't corrupt, corruption is the system (I didn't invent that).

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Doing so would bring sex workers into the system, afford them better protection from crime and allow them to seek state benefits.

Taxing them on their earnings would be a bonanza for state coffers. 

It is time Thailand faced up to the facts - prostitution is everywhere and has been completely widespread since the days of Ayuthaya 700 years ago. 

I can't think of any downsides for anyone for legalization.  This is an example where religion across the world works against the interests of women by treating this as a moral crime.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enzian said:

This is still a stone age country trying halfheartedly to adapt to modern enlightened societies (which have their own big problems, but at least they have the traditions and history). Things work here because of cultural consensus and consent, not because of any rule of law. The upper levels of the financial system needs rules, but the rest just proceeds by conventions. The hypocrisy about prostitution is one of the conventions. The system isn't corrupt, corruption is the system (I didn't invent that).

As one of my Thai friends said to my wife when I was talking about corruption. "Ron doesn't understand. This is how we do things here." He was right in the first part and right in the second part. Nothing has changed after that conversation about thirty years ago. But I'm getting used to it.????

22 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Wow, a bit of a turnaround who basically said you have to pay for sex with women one way or another. My wife and I don't associate our hard earned money with sex, it is a completely unrelated subject, I guess only a regular user of hookers would think that way. If you are ok with thinking that way then fine,, just try and talk to an intelligent woman about it (take cover though) and see how mysogynistic you are accused of being then. I guess this will appear like a fairy tale to you but most married couples have sex because it is a display of their love and affection, money is nothing to do with it. A good job will get you so far as every woman wants a self sufficient / successful man but only so far,,, if you were speaking to my wife about your views on how it costs all men for sex you certainly would have zero chance with her, especially if your fat and over 50, your job wouldn't matter.. I guess we will never agree on this point so fair enough, stay safe.????

I didn't say you have to pay for sex or the generalization that all women are prostitutes. Have lady pilots who are outstanding in every way, ex Air Force officers, trying to introduce me to their American Friends. The friends are all Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers and IT Business class Ladies who only attract bums and leeches. Why? I don't know but I am not interested in them either. I need an Asian woman with small body. If she is a Doctor or Lawyer that would be great.

I just heard my girlfriend in Chiang Mai is shacked up with a Belgian, for me its over.

Edited by Captain Monday

On 6/23/2020 at 1:30 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Pretty retarded reply.

All those pictures are from Amsterdam. And the article even mentions Amsterdam.

Might wanna fact-check before you post....

• Sad 1