Thai Immigration announce changes to TM30 reporting

I still don't understand the need to proactively report and load the immigration office with loads of forms they will never read. I would have thought the biometrics on entry to the country would catch terrorists or wanted persons. Certainly, hotels should keep electronic records of their guests for a period, and police can issue a request to hotels to report to them if a certain person was there. A guest house without electronic records could continue to send paper forms if required, or the immigration police could just make an app for recording visitors. Everyone has a phone.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoNavy said:

I just checked the immigration link in the article.  I did get the main page but clicking the shortcut for the TM30  https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/ I get a dead end.  Same problem, different day.

Are you using a VPN. It will not load if you are using one. Also there is problem when using some Thai internet providers.

It worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

To summarize the changes in plain english

> The 'owner of the place' where YOU - a foreigner - is staying has to report your arrival there only ONCE to your local IO, and this has to be done within 24 hours of your arrival at the premisses. 

The above is valid as long as the permission to stay (or the extension of it) on which you stay in the Kingdom has not expired.  So when having applied for or re-entering on a new Visa a new TM30 has to be filed by the owner of the place where you are staying within 24 hours of your arrival at the premisses (and this has to be done only ONCE).

Note; The 'owner of the place where you are staying' can be

- yourself, when you are the owner of the condo where you are staying;

- your wife/girlfriend, if it is her name on the house-book of the place where you are staying;

- your landlord, in case you are renting;

- a manager of a Hotel/Guesthouse where you are staying (even if only temporary).

Also "yourself" when you are on the lease - at some offices, at least.   Can even do it online this way.

• Thanks 1

Many cited "what if domestic" travel.  The announcement does not address domestic travel.  What it says, is that you dont' need to file if you go straight to a border or airport, then return directly to your TM-30-reported address, w/o another report being filed somewhere else.

The alien as defined in paragraph one shall include those who

being granted multiple-visa who leaves and returns to the Kingdom with specified time in the visa, and those with re-entry permit.

But when reported elsewhere in a new TM-30 entry by your hotel, etc ??  I see consensus seems to believe this is also covered, but I don't see where the announcement says this.

11 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No. The announcement is perfectly clear in saying that you don't have to file a new TM30 when you return to your permanent, previously-registered address.

Is there a "permanent" or "temporary" checkbox on the TM-30 form/website?  How would they know which one of the TM-30 reports, generated by domestic-travel, is "permanent," otherwise? 

I would still suggest returning to ones Imm-Office for clarification, if a TM-30 is filed on you anywhere other than your "permanent" residence.

Edited by JackThompson

On 6/23/2020 at 3:41 PM, Lacessit said:

Surely if one of us "aliens" has a lease on a condo for one or more years, that should be proof that's where we intend to stay for the duration of the contract. Hence a 90 day report is superfluous. Same with someone living in a house in their Thai wife's name.

I watched many condo owners paying fines in the Pattaya immigration office while I filed my form.  They said they reported this address for their extensions, and reported it again on their TM-6 when arriving - all were all treated like criminals, regardless.

On 6/23/2020 at 5:12 PM, DrTuner said:

This is why I mentioned these should be vetted by a lawyer. Vague language creates nothing but opportunities for corruption and confusion.

Now you are getting the idea!!

On 6/23/2020 at 5:54 PM, Peter Denis said:

That probably being the main reason that many IOs do not enforce TM30 compliance   anymore.

I thought all did except CW, who did for awhile, then quit again?  But ... different rules for each.

9 hours ago, Chassa said:

Never done a TM30 in 10 years, moved around a bit too (overseas and local).

Sometimes only enforced only for those they want to punish - like those who apply for tourist-based or marriage-based extensions - but not for most on retirement - in the same office (Jomtien).  For marriage-based extensions, they aren't even satisfied with a current TM-30 and lease - want even more "landlord docs," even though they will come to visit you there and verify, regardless.

On 6/23/2020 at 5:08 PM, sapson said:

Do absolutely nothing why would you report returning to same address which hasnt changed.

Waste of your time and immigrations to go to an office, kick back chill have a beer or glass of wine.

Because they extort you - don't pay (you, not landlord), and no soup* extension for you - even though it may be plain as day where you are staying, and they know it. 
(* reference to a famous Sinefeld episode)

13 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No. The announcement is perfectly clear in saying that you don't have to file a new TM30 when you return to your permanent, previously-registered address.

Thanks. But apparently this news is for ChaingMai Immigration and have heard someone say Phuket immigration too.  I report to Chaengwattana and they have not announced any changes unfortunately.  

On 6/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, webfact said:

The latest announcement was posted on the Chiang Mai immigration website and comes into effect from 30 June 2020. 

So is this nationwide or just Chiang Mai? The Thai Visa article suggests its going nationwide but refers to Chiang Mai IO? Just a couple hours ago the likes of Richard Barrow says it doesn't apply in Samut Prakan and is only likely being applied in Chiang Mai and Phuket.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

So is this nationwide or just Chiang Mai? The Thai Visa article suggests its going nationwide but refers to Chiang Mai IO? Just a couple hours ago the likes of Richard Barrow says it doesn't apply in Samut Prakan and is only likely being applied in Chiang Mai and Phuket.

Thailand’s Immigration Bureau have announced an update to the requirement for TM30 reporting. 

The latest announcement was posted on the Chiang Mai immigration website and comes into effect from 30 June 2020. 

On 6/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, JusticeGB said:

Pattaya Immigration told me in February that if I stayed, say in Bangkok, and then returned to my condo no re registration was required. It was only required if I went abroad. Now that requirement has been removed. 

I was also told in jomtien that as a condo owner, with a yellow book, it was not necessary for me to ever report, and I only tried that once, not again

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:
15 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Thailand’s Immigration Bureau have announced an update to the requirement for TM30 reporting. 

The latest announcement was posted on the Chiang Mai immigration website and comes into effect from 30 June 2020. 

So to be clear are you answering its a nationwide update but the information is only on the Chiang Mai immigration website ? Why would it not be on the national site https://immigration.go.th/announce ?

Edited by MJKT2014

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Of course it's Nationwide.

It's a revision of section 38 of the Immigration Act that applies to all foreigners staying in Thailand.

I don't see it as a revision of the text of section 38 of the Immigration Act.

• Like 1

Arrive on a 60 day SE tourist visa. Rent a condo in Chiang Mai for 2 months. Go to the IO and register TM30 within 24 hours of arrival. After 3 weeks decide to go to Pattaya for 5 days. Hotel there does reporting. On returning to the rented condo in CM do I need to report? 

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

I don't see it as a revision of the text of section 38 of the Immigration Act.

Interesting!

I'm interpreting the translation.

Whereas it is expedient to revise the regulations .........

Article 1. To repeal the Police regulation regarding host, owner, or possessor of the premises or manager of hotels that registering the alien with a temporary permission to stay in the Kingdom as follows; ...............

5 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Arrive on a 60 day SE tourist visa. Rent a condo in Chiang Mai for 2 months. Go to the IO and register TM30 within 24 hours of arrival. After 3 weeks decide to go to Pattaya for 5 days. Hotel there does reporting. On returning to the rented condo in CM do I need to report? 

Providing you stay at the same address at detailed on your TM6 and TM30, according to the new regulations, No.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2020 at 2:19 PM, jojothai said:

In article 2.1 it appears that it also changed the reporting location requirement to be only immigration office and removed the local police station.

If so, that also helps to remove a point of issue some people reported previously.

I think its a definite win clarification on this.

Because its been not required for a little time now.(no need to report address if return is to the same as before).

Removal of police station reports would obviously follow on because theres now no need to notify if return is to the same place. 

I know the local constabulary have been helpful for me previously, but its one less task they have to do now...

On 6/25/2020 at 3:06 PM, MJKT2014 said:

Why would it not be on the national site https://immigration.go.th/announce ?

Edit: It is there now. https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5ef48af54d69ab1c9c5be709

Link now broken due to immigration website being changed yesterday evening. Cannot be found now.

Immigration english translation and original in Thai is in the topic at 33 and 34. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/

The important clause of their translation of it is slightly different but is a little clearer.

image.png.4d2f84d60ac56c09d0e17ab3c1a57c8b.png

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 6:32 PM, Tanoshi said:

Interesting!

I'm interpreting the translation.

Thank you for your confirmation that it is not section 38 of the Immigration Act that has changed, but a regulation of the Royal Thai Police.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

Thank you for your confirmation that it is not section 38 of the Immigration Act that has changed, but a regulation of the Royal Thai Police.

Yes, to be clear, what I should have originally stated is that after a review, the existing regulation has been repealed and amended for reporting aliens (TM30) under section 38 of the Immigration Act.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Yes, to be clear, what I should have originally stated is that after a review, the existing regulation has been repealed and amended for reporting aliens (TM30) under section 38 of the Immigration Act.

It is past due time for them to of changed or rescinded the original regulation.

I is now equal to what I thought section 38 meant since day one of them enforcing it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have already posted both English and Thai copies on the topic for laws and regulations. Plus I have copies on my computer.

I've only seen jpg format, so you have to use the snipping tool to quote sections.

You can copy and paste sections from the pdf format I posted.

• Like 1