Hua Hin: DSI investigate Brit using Thai nominee in alleged 240 million baht property crime

webfact

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Seems Brit crooks are as bad as Thai crooks. I am sure I wont get many likes for this one.

I wish t here were some tough laws for this to protect buyers. I don't mean it has to applied to foreigners only but to everyone giving better protection to buyers.

But I think it would be hard as the people doing such things are usually rich or have al ot of cash from cheating their clients enough to bribe a lot of people. 

well, the tips can be a bit light ???? so maybe those were too..

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

To be honest i love to be doing business with a foreigner. I mean like a foreign handyman or something. I find it hard to find Thais to do a really good job. Its not a price thing but just hard to find qualified persons. I am not saying that Thais are not good as they certainly are given that some houses and other buildings look great and are built great. Its just hard to find those kind of people as they have work enough and probably don't have to advertise. 

Nah, I meant in the context of real estate/legal. You're correct there's not an abundance of skilled labor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

Origins of the crooks are irrelevant, what is relevant is lack of laws and regulations allowing crooks to come up with scams

The origins of the crook is relevant on this forum. In my experience people on this forum seem to react far stronger to crimes committed by Thais or non white foreigners then to for instance Brits. Just as you see in the post on this topic. Not that many post. I bet if it had been a Thai there would be far more post.

I don't really care about where someone comes from for me action is what matters not origins. The reason i bring it up is explained in the previous paragraph.

But your right it should not matter. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OnTheRun said:

... how he's survived so long is anyones guess.

i see images of fat brown envelopes ... a flock of them so immense they blot out the sky ...

~o:37;

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I think I know what his intentions were, with 5 projects and not delivering

on any of them......

regards Worgeordie

If that was his intention -- when the cards started collapsing -- he would have disappeared with very little to track him down.  5 projects semi-concurrent with cash flow bringing down all in the case of being over leveraged - is easy when the economy takes a big hit due to lower cash flow and lower turn-over. 

He will however be in deep problems if he cannot raise the case to settle with those that are owed and the police to make the case disappear...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I would like to know what went wrong and why the development of peoples houses did not follow to the end. As him having nominees I see no real big deal in that.

Using a Thai nominee to own land in order to circumvent the fact that you as a foreigner cannot own land in Thailand, is illegal. So I guess there’s that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

If that was his intention -- when the cards started collapsing -- he would have disappeared with very little to track him down.  5 projects semi-concurrent with cash flow bringing down all in the case of being over leveraged - is easy when the economy takes a big hit due to lower cash flow and lower turn-over. 

He will however be in deep problems if he cannot raise the case to settle with those that are owed and the police to make the case disappear...

That is what you think, he could have thought he could stay here bribing a few people. Your assuming he expected getting caught. 

16 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Using a Thai nominee to own land in order to circumvent the fact that you as a foreigner cannot own land in Thailand, is illegal. So I guess there’s that.

There are loop holes around that. If this is the real case then there are going to be a lot of a lot of Chinese in hot water losing their investments here..

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Many foreigners are using nominees for the property ownership and transactions but but it's a long way between that and swindling abd cheating buyers, as far as this guy concern he's done and his goose is cooked in this country...

Any of us who have "owned" property in Thailand know that you have to use a Thai Nominee as foreigners are not allowed to own land.  It is usually the wife or a good solicitor.  It's been the same for many years and accepted as the normal procedure. I built a few properties and sold them over the years, usually to foreigners.  As long as you tick the boxes and do the paperwork properly there is no problem.  Beware the corrupt officials who try to extort money out of you in trumped up "fees".

However there will always be the crooks and charlatans, Thailand attracts it's fair share of them as there  are plenty of scamming opportunities and plenty of naïve dummies to take advantage of.  

• Like 1