Video: Biker lucky not to be killed after managing to stay on during collision in Saraburi

webfact

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

So the girl on the bike was clearly not paying attention and in the wrong, but why did the car driver make no attempt at all to move across or brake to avoid the collision?

Daft question I guess - this is Thailand, BLDM - Bikers Lives Don't Matter.

I’ve seen this with my wife. She’d rather have an accident to prove herself in the right than move to avoid a collision. Had this argument many times when it’s obvious what some idiot Is about to do but the missis won’t budge. Anticipation is not part of the Thai Highway Code. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Quite possible. That stunt must have been her ninth life.

She was in a hurry getting home to somtam and sticky rice, forgetting about watching out for cars.

I have seen this to often, mc drivers mind is elsewhere and just lucky to not get hit by cars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The motorbike rider demonstrated great skill in staying on the bike. The dopey driver of the car made little or no attempt to avoid a collision. Bike rider clearly at fault for failing to look left for oncoming traffic while she tried to merge. DNA from the undies in police custody may offer some clues as to her identity.

'The DNA from the undies'.  mmmm smells a bit fishy to me that idea!!! ????????????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I often see bike riders not check traffic. When at a intersection they just try and turn onto

the little motorcycle lane, with checking. The thing is car and truck drivers often 

use that small lain to move over when driving slow or drunk or sleepy. 

It is a dangerous thing to just keep moving without checking traffic first.

Thai drivers are a funny thing, they just can't stand to see an 

open slot in traffic. They have to have it even if they are going turn

in 100 meters.

Road space must never be wasted. 

You know I have never seen a cop stop a car for running a light

or going to fast or any of 20 other driving infractions.

Thailand has traffic laws but they seem to only come into play

in assigning blame after an accident.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kinnock said:

So the girl on the bike was clearly not paying attention and in the wrong, but why did the car driver make no attempt at all to move across or brake to avoid the collision?

..two 'air-heads' collided in cyber-space..just a ripple.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Look at the road, there are clear paint markings on the road, and if a motorcycle driver would have crossed like that in my home country the driver would have lost his/her drivers license, in UK the driver would have lost 3 points and a fine, in India 1000 Rupee and up to 3 month prison time...
Then we have people who have been in Thailand too long and think that the car driver is doing something wrong... when the one driving the motorcycle is breaking the rules and crossed a no cross area and entered the lain at a point, about 50m before the road markings shows that she can cross between the lains, and caused the accident.

Sure, there are many bad drivers out there, but I would not say that this car driver is a bad driver. It's 4 seconds from when I see the motorcycle until the collision, and the average reaction time for breaking is 2.3 seconds... and that for an object that appears right in front of you!

My Thai colleague pointed out that the road the motorcycle came from does not allow motorcycles, so she was in the wrong before she even got to the car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wasn't there, don't know anyone that was, I didn't inspect the mechanical aspects of the car and didn't interview the driver or witnesses. It's been years since I investigated a traffic accident in my country of origin, and certainly never did one in Thailand.

That being said, many seem to know many answers by the power watching a mere video and could apply for a know-it-all work permit. I'm happy I wasn't involved and that no one seemed to have been injured or killed.

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Car driver should also have used the horn some seconds before the impact, to: "give audible warning of approach".

Unfortunately only used it post "incident" and, as many do, to: "vent anger and annoyance upon another road user".

It's designed purpose now apparently lost in Thailand..........erm.......and elsewhere.

Edited by Enoon

5 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Bet she's going to need that clean underwear after pulling a stunt like that. ????

That's what they were in the handbag for.......she has that sort of near calamity every day.

Learn to ride safely, or carry spare underwear?

A no-brainer for a young Thai female.

Edited by Enoon