Has anyone got married while on visa amnesty?

greggraham

Me and my partner were planning on marrying next summer but are considering going and getting the documents affirmed etc. and going through the marriage process next month (July) before July 31st.

I'm wondering if anyone has got married in the last month or so, going through the steps of Embassy -> Ministry of Foreign Affairs -> Amphur and then applying for a Marriage Visa. One of the required documents for registering the marriage at the amphur is a copy of the visa, not sure how being on the amnesty would work with that.

Any advice/experiences shared appreciated! Thanks.

18 hours ago, blanes2007 said:

We applied for marriage on Monday. Passapot with STVisa expired in May was accepted both in MFA and amphoe (Chiang Mai province)

Congrats, and thanks for the reply. STVisa is Student?, so you've been on Amnesty since May.

When do you expect you can apply for the marriage visa (assuming that is your plan)? 

1 hour ago, greggraham said:

STVisa is Student?

Single Entry Tourist Visa 2+1 month

1 hour ago, greggraham said:

When do you expect you can apply for the marriage visa (assuming that is your plan)? 

Good question ???? My plan was to go in June to Ho Chi Minh and apply for http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html ????

4 hours ago, blanes2007 said:

Single Entry Tourist Visa 2+1 month

Good question ???? My plan was to go in June to Ho Chi Minh and apply for http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html ????

OKay, but "A Thai Marriage Visa can be applied for at a Thai Royal Consulate or Embassy outside of Thailand, or at an Immigration Office within Thailand." You can do it within Thailand. 

34 minutes ago, blanes2007 said:

For some reason can not (at least must have 400 000 for 2 months for converting the SETV to Non-O)

You mean if you need to be abroad and have 400k?

I just went to my local immigration and the staff said I would need to go abroad also, despite having read the opposite in many places online. Super confused right now.

In theory one can get a new tipe of visa (a stamp actually) in a local Immigration Office instead of Thailand Embassy somewhere abroad. It is called visa conversion.

The specific rules of possible visas conversions (in all directions) are set up Immigration Office of the province. As far as I understand such a visa conversion without leaving the country is supposed by them as a "special case" because it requires more bureaucratic procedures and possibly must be approved from Bangkok. So they do it very unwillingly and offen advise to go to certain visa agency (%$ :).

Anyway the requirements for getting such a substitute of any Visa in Imm Office are the same as if you apply for rael Visa in the most of the Embassies: 400 000\2 months in this case.

Nevertheless there are (or were before the lockdown) two exceptions - Thai Consulates in Sawannaket and Ho Chi Minh - that didn't require 400 000\2... only a marriage sertificate

Once I made conversion from Education to Retirement Visa without leaving the country but having 800k \ 2 m in my bank account, and it cost me 8k cash "payoff". Somebody explained to me their "pricing" - that was about the same money I would spend if I go abroad for the new visa.

Following, I'm also looking to register the marriage before the end of the amnesty, but it's very difficult to get clear answers from all of the steps Embassy, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Amphur.

Embassy says MFA probably will not do, MFA says it's up to the Embassy, the Amphur where my partner is born says cannot do, but there's probably some Amphur that would to.

• Like 1

embassy just confirms your marital status ('free") according to your statement, MFA-sertified bureau translates the embassy's letter (800 bht) and MFA verified that translation (800), none of them did care about my visa status

The legalisation docs by MFA was arranged by the same bureau on the second floor of MFA building, Chaeng Wattana and sent me by mail (+2 days and 300 bht)

On 6/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, blanes2007 said:

embassy just confirms your marital status ('free") according to your statement, MFA-sertified bureau translates the embassy's letter (800 bht) and MFA verified that translation (800), none of them did care about my visa status

The legalisation docs by MFA was arranged by the same bureau on the second floor of MFA building, Chaeng Wattana and sent me by mail (+2 days and 300 bht)

Bit confused about some of your steps here, "The legalisation docs by MFA was arranged by the same bureau on the second floor " - you mean the translation? 

Also, just to clarify, when you applied for marriage you were on visa amnesty?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

17 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Bit confused about some of your steps here, "The legalisation docs by MFA was arranged by the same bureau on the second floor " - you mean the translation? 

Yes

"officially" looking booth under the big signboard "Translation and legalisation" on the second floor of the building of Dept of Consular Affairs MFA at Chaeng Wattana Govt complex

I paid 800 translation + 800 legalisation + 300 agency fee + 80 postal fee and left my address and contact in Chiang Mai. No odd questions They only asked how to spell my name in Thai. I asked that nice ladies in the booth if they really work for MFA and they insisted "yes" but the receipt was given on behalf of the private legal bureau ????

as promised in 2 or 3 days they sent me the docs by mail. That docs were fully accepted in the ampure office where we had the arrangament before.

translation and legalisation obviously can not be done in one day, but if you wanna stay in BKK for some reason you can do it by yourself in 2-3 days

PS Today we had the call from Amphure office and they confirmed the date of marriage registration - exactly 2 week after all required docs were given to them