Recommended Builders & Prices?

Anyone want to recommend me some good house builders that will work in the Hua Hin area?  Would be doing a western style house, at a western style quality.  Not looking to build Trump Palace, just a good durable quality home with insulated bricks.  (I'd handle the kitchen & bathroom stuff myself).

Also curious what I should expect the rates would be.  Some basic googling and feedback is throwing numbers of up to 40k/sqm (not including kitchen/bathroom/etc.).

Thank you.

When I started the house we're in now 6 years ago, (outside Kuchinari - gateway to Isaan ????), I worked it out at 20k/m2. I used Chief Architect to design the house, then just the local farmers. 

Maybe try 30k/m2 and you'll go over budget and probably end closer to 40k/m2, but if you take the 40k/m2 you will still go over budget. This is just a guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

What is western style quality?...serious question. 

I interpret this to mean that it would pass a health & safety check by a western government (UK, USA, Canada). Pass the fire code standards.  Pass the HVAC standards, and meet a standard (A?) level of energy efficiency.

It also would mean all the electrics, plumbing, air-con hookups, etc. are embedded within the wall rather than placed on the outside of the wall (such as if it was done after the house construction was completed).

It should also meet a certain standard in efficiency of drainage (both from rainwater on the top, as well as possible ground water in the foundation).

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

I recommend not do one contract.

Make 10 step by step.

when one step finish, pay and then next step.

Because if not satisfied, easy to change builder.= you have more power. 

Also so different teams are expert different things, eg footings and roof teams is different people.

also you should just get labour price and YOU buy the material. If the builder buy it, you will pay 10-23% more. For cement, bricks etc. For what? 

And you quality control. The builder will use the cheapest one = more profit.

Get price from many shop. Some sell some thing cheaper. No shop is cheapest everything.

Get 3+ worker quotation every job. 

Will be different sure.

Pay per job, NOT per day.

For insulated brick, is about 22-23 for one brick. Expensive, but better than other one.

Worker price 

Worker for brick, 75 baht per sq meter. You pay if need scaffolding. (Rent scaffolding)

40 per meter “tablang” concrete support.

“charp” the wall 90 baht sqmeter (one side) 

””chiam” the edge 30 baht per meter

window holes 400-1000baht (up to size) door holes 400 per door.

buy windows from shop have make already , if special order will be 2-3x expansive 

installtion windows 400(small) -1000baht (glass slide door)

tile 180 baht per sqmeter.

Ceiling 300 per sqmeter

Bua, Get Bua expert. Up to what you want.

Many other thing. Water, electric etc Get 3+ price EVERYTHING 

if not ground floor =+ 10% for the worker (is fair, more work)

Do not use cheap/skinny electric wire. Will be problem the future. Difficult change after finish already.

will save 23% - 50% cheaper if control yourself. Sure. 

And be better quality. Sure. 

The builder not your friend. He want profit. Be strong. 

Should video the worker a lot. So they know you be “watching” them. 

And have many house design app. Not expansive. Give 3D image. Easy for speak/show the worker how you want it look/be. Exactly. 

Good luck.

I appreciate your advice here.  I was hoping I could do the 'Full Package' at a fair price, *OR* I buy all the materials and they do the proper installation (this is how I did things in other countries).

My concern is that I do not actually know the details of the materials I would need.  Would an architect be able to supply the full list of materials, such that I would simply buy them from the shop.  Then the construction worker would know how to put it together?  (Which brings the next question, where to find a qualified construction worker who knows how to assemble the house, a skill I do not have).

5 hours ago, JayBird said:

I interpret this to mean that it would pass a health & safety check by a western government (UK, USA, Canada). Pass the fire code standards.  Pass the HVAC standards, and meet a standard (A?) level of energy efficiency.

It also would mean all the electrics, plumbing, air-con hookups, etc. are embedded within the wall rather than placed on the outside of the wall (such as if it was done after the house construction was completed).

It should also meet a certain standard in efficiency of drainage (both from rainwater on the top, as well as possible ground water in the foundation).

You may want to rethink embedding the plumbing in the walls. Since they use plastic pipes for the plumbing there could be problems down the line and if they are run outside easier to deal with what ever problems may arise

• Confused 1

Also you may want to do double brick walls (outside walls) doesn't really cost that much more. I've built 5 places in the last 10 years and on average the places (all with western kitchens, double walls, 12 mm glass for the windows) cost on average 10k per sq meter. The last place was built 2 years ago.

picture of house.jpg

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, JayBird said:

I appreciate your advice here.  I was hoping I could do the 'Full Package' at a fair price, *OR* I buy all the materials and they do the proper installation (this is how I did things in other countries).

My concern is that I do not actually know the details of the materials I would need.  Would an architect be able to supply the full list of materials, such that I would simply buy them from the shop.  Then the construction worker would know how to put it together?  (Which brings the next question, where to find a qualified construction worker who knows how to assemble the house, a skill I do not have).

You can get a "full package", but how you break payments and what's included may vary (and often subject to negotiation). I find the baht/sqm thing inaccurate - does a perimeter wall count? Does a driveway? etc. Easier to ask for a price estimate using initial plan and spec, then calculate the baht/sqm if needed. Try and cover everything in the plan/spec, and be sure to make clear some method of refund for upgraded materials.

Between your architect and construction engineer, yes - they should be able to produce such a material list including most things. There are also plenty of online tools and calculators for that - pretty useful IMO.

Buying materials yourself -not necessarily cheaper. Our builder, for example, was able to get discounts at some shops, which we weren't offered. Ended up having him buy most basic stuff, with us keeping an eye on costs and quality of materials. I think it evened out relative to buying it ourselves, plus saved a whole lot of running around to shops for comparisons.

Choosing a builder is a bit of a gamble. To minimize that, go snooping - get recommendations, gossip and visit some sites. Check how many projects he works on and whether there are delays. And while true, he's not your friend, you still need to deal with him for some intense months, so might as well be someone not super annoying.

In our experience, most builders that run teams seemed to be able to read a construction plan. Foremen too. The rest, not so much. That said, following a plan is another matter.... Same goes for "qualified" which can sometimes mean very little when push comes to shove.

Edited by Morch

13 hours ago, JayBird said:

Welcome to Thailand!

My concern is that I do not actually know the details of the materials I would need.  Would an architect be able to supply the full list of materials, such that I would simply buy them from the shop. 

I recommend get price, but, buy when you need. The shop deliver everyday. 

Because, will have more 1) free area. 2) Not be stolen.

Then the construction worker would know how to put it together?  (Which brings the next question, where to find a qualified construction worker who knows how to assemble the house, a skill I do not have).

Is not one person. 

Footings, slap, frame, brick, chaap, window, roof, electric and water, bua, ceiling is all different team.

If you get a “builder”, he will find the team for you. Organize that. 

But, he will increase the price 23%+ EVERYTHING. Is standard.

if you weak negotiate and lazy get 3 price everything, a “builder” be better for you. 

Is more work do yourself. But eg builder help will be 4/8 million. Do yourself, STEP BY STEP (MUST 3 price everything), same house be 3/6 million.

Must be strong, polite BUT not freindly. 

Not rush.

If you weak will up the price. Sure. 

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update to this:

I stopped looking and got my GF to do some of the calling up.  She called ones that advertise in Thai only, run by Thai people.  And was now getting quotes in the 10k to 15k per sqm range, which seems far more reasonable.  A few Thai companies gave those quotes.

These, as far as I know, are not 'part time builders', but actual companies with professionals who work on buildings, hotels, multi-house projects, etc.  So there is some hope there.

It seems there is a significant up-price if going with a foreign (english?) language company, at least of the ones I found so far.  I'm sure there are some that are not asking 40k ????