BANGKOK
webfact

A Russian man chose to spend lockdown in Thailand helping a monk build mud houses

13 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

He looks happy enough in the photo..and is probably having a great time.

He is still getting exploited, even if he doesn't perceive it this way.

Minimum wage exists for a reason.

These Youtube videos and news article make us foreigners look very bad in the eyes of Thai government, if they should see it. Because they clearly show that some foreigners, who are allowed to remain in Thailand due to Covid 19, start working illegally to finance their stay. This might cause them to kick the remaining tourists out and potentially tighten the rules for everybody.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

happy as a pig in sh#t

That is very very happy. 

12 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

As others have quoted from the original article, the work was voluntary through an official work exchange scheme and I qoute:-

Such work exchange schemes exist in certain other countries, but not in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Work permits are NOT required, as for Thai Tourist Police Volunteers like I was - the Thai Ministry of Labour gives exemption. 

I'm 99.9% certain that it's not possible to get such an exemption for the work he is doing and he is just working illegally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Such work exchange schemes exist in certain other countries, but not in Thailand.

I'm 99.9% certain that it's not possible to get such an exemption for the work he is doing and he is just working illegally.

Yes , it is possible. It will be interesting to see if there is a follow-up report involving Immigration and one of their SMART cars!