A Russian man chose to spend lockdown in Thailand helping a monk build mud houses

webfact

13 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

He looks happy enough in the photo..and is probably having a great time.

He is still getting exploited, even if he doesn't perceive it this way.

Minimum wage exists for a reason.

These Youtube videos and news article make us foreigners look very bad in the eyes of Thai government, if they should see it. Because they clearly show that some foreigners, who are allowed to remain in Thailand due to Covid 19, start working illegally to finance their stay. This might cause them to kick the remaining tourists out and potentially tighten the rules for everybody.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

As others have quoted from the original article, the work was voluntary through an official work exchange scheme and I qoute:-

Such work exchange schemes exist in certain other countries, but not in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Work permits are NOT required, as for Thai Tourist Police Volunteers like I was - the Thai Ministry of Labour gives exemption. 

I'm 99.9% certain that it's not possible to get such an exemption for the work he is doing and he is just working illegally.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Such work exchange schemes exist in certain other countries, but not in Thailand.

I'm 99.9% certain that it's not possible to get such an exemption for the work he is doing and he is just working illegally.

Yes , it is possible. It will be interesting to see if there is a follow-up report involving Immigration and one of their SMART cars!

I realized after watching the video, this is not a Thai monk, it's a Chinese monk.  Thai monks would never sit at a table eating with civilians, especially not women and would never lay hands on a woman while giving a massage or chiropractic help.   

Ok

The site is workaway.org as I used it in vietnam to help at a guesthouse for free room and board. It basically sucked but Im older than these newbies, who have no idea about thailand and rules-visas

I would wake at 7am and work until dark and had a day off a week, just had to be around all day....it was on a beautiful beach in Bai xep in a fishing village..lots of power outages and was 111 F  the sand would kill my feet

It does feel like slave labor but its all about the exp and you mix with other ppl doing this well so if you are a young newbie and trying to get chicks this might be an idea.....you will be sharing a dorm room mostly...as its not resort with private rooms so is comparable to college dorms and party life

I had a business visa there but quit as the aussie couple --the women, was a witch and I had enough of her.

and the girl that replaced me got fired for drinking with a guest and stealing booze and pool hopping.. I do

recall the guy i replaced was so happy when i took his spot-so that should have been a clue--I was naive.

these kids arent aware that they need a VOL visa, which I had to get to do free radio hosting in CM.....what a pain the was as I had to go to bkk to get it and the IO did NOT want to give me one--had to involve a lawyer

I do agree that I feel thais use this as free labor..must be nice to have a white skin farang work for you, as I recall being a Chef for rimping in CM and I cooked live in the middle of the store in the demo kitchen and it was all the gossip that they had a farang white chef there...kinda like being in a fishbowl full of gawkers...

Anyway costs $25 a yr to join and can do it anywhere, and they and you, leave reviews, I can pretty much look on the site for CM listings and figure out where it is and just go ask..they tend to prefer girls in my exp

If anyone joins be sure to research other reviews and google reviews--could become a bad gig..trust me

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 4:01 PM, JeffersLos said:

Probably monking a lovely young local every night. 

Not that sure the lovely young locals are up for voluntary unpaid work exchange.

Usually the locals have a well defined minimum hourly "salary" in mind for the night shifts.

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, Burma Bill said:

As others have quoted from the original article, the work was voluntary through an official work exchange scheme and I qoute:-

Work exchanges are common for travelers because they offer a chance to learn about a region's culture through experience. In exchange for a room and food, the traveler will offer work. In this case, Proshin and his friends would build homes. 

Work permits are NOT required, as for Thai Tourist Police Volunteers like I was - the Thai Ministry of Labour gives exemption. 

Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand. According to Thai law, foreigners can work in the country but factors such as the national security, as well as the need of alien labor for the development of the country is being considered. Thai nationals are still to be given priority.

Ref www.thaiembassy.com

Under Thai Law foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following occupations.
  • Manual work.
  • Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision.
  • Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction works.
  • Wood carving.

This guy is probably broken the thai laws at least 2 times actually
but i wish good luck for him anyway
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 8:58 PM, khaowong1 said:

I realized after watching the video, this is not a Thai monk, it's a Chinese monk.  Thai monks would never sit at a table eating with civilians, especially not women and would never lay hands on a woman while giving a massage or chiropractic help.   

Yes, i wonder what sort of visa he has

and looking at the video, it seems he is building a resort

with bungalows, wich requires a lot of autorisations and licences.

I don't know if he will be very happy with all the publicity around his project

if all of this end with a home visit of the differents Thai offices concerned.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes, i wonder what sort of visa he has

and looking at the video, it seems he is building a resort

with bungalows, wich requires a lot of autorisations and licences.

I don't know if he will be very happy with all the publicity around his project

if all of this end with a home visit of the differents Thai offices concerned.

Pretty sure this monk doesn't have any of the licences he needs for this business.  Now he's going to start getting visits from a slew of Thai officials.  

• Like 1