Bangkok’s new landmark, Chao Phraya Sky Park, opens to the public

snoop1130

Bangkok’s new landmark, Chao Phraya Sky Park, opens to the public

Skypark.jpg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has formally opened a new landmark, the Chao Phraya Sky Park, which straddles the Chao Phraya River, linking Bangkok with its sister city, Thonburi.

The city’s first sky park is, in fact, a pedestrian walkway, about 280 metres long and 8.5 metres wide, built on the abandoned superstructure of the Lavalin rail project, in the middle of the King Rama VII Bridge.

The walkway is decorated with many tropical trees, suitable for the hot weather in Bangkok, such as Makoknam, Cha Khoi, Yeetho, Toyting Uang Mai Na and Bai Tang Rien.

Besides providing a new, natural alternative for residents of both sides of the river on which to stroll, it also serves a vantage point for panoramic views of the mighty river and many of its old and new riparian structures.

At one end of the sky park is the Rama VII Park, on the Bangkok side, and the Chalermphrakiat Park on the Thonburi side of the river.

The sky park is accessible every day from 5am to 8pm.  It can be reached via the MRT’s Sanamchai station, by bus or express boat stopping at the King Rama 1 Bridge.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkoks-new-landmark-chao-phraya-sky-park-opens-to-the-public/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-06-25

• Like 1

I bemoan the lack of natural timber used. Why are concrete used for the fence or embankment; whatever it is. I don't think the decking are natural timber too. Thailand is full of tropical trees but yet this park has more concrete structures. Real sad.  

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

"Weeds on a handrail"

Personally I find this a typical negative TVF comment. I have not been to Bangkok in many years but from photos it looks very attractive and, no doubt, a pleasure to pedestrians crossing the bridge. Some more stock photos:-

A sky park is comingSkypark across Chao Phraya river to be opened this month

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Personally I find this a typical negative TVF comment. I have not been to Bangkok in many years but from photos it looks very attractive and, no doubt, a pleasure to pedestrians crossing the bridge. Some more stock photos:-

I agree. Looks nice to me. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Agreed, the photo at the top of the thread doesn't do it justice

• Thanks 1

The article says that the Sky Park "in the middle of the King Rama VII Bridge", but later it says "At one end of the sky park is the Rama VII Park, on the Bangkok side, and the Chalermphrakiat Park on the Thonburi side of the river. ".  It seems to me that there's an error in the article... Google Maps tells me that the Rama VII Bridge is perhaps 10 kms north of Rama VII Park.