Olympus reassures Thai fans over sale of camera business

Olympus reassures Thai fans over sale of camera business

By THE NATION

800_621f600d9e0354d.jpg

Olympus Thailand today assured its army of loyal customers that business would continue as usual after its imaging division is sold to Japan Industrial Partners (JIP) later this year.

Olympus, which has built a loyal following among Thai shutterbugs, announced on Wednesday it had signed a memorandum of understanding with JIP to form a new company to take over Olympus cameras, lenses and other photography products.  

Olympus said JIP will invest in knowledge and technology to improve the products, creating an even stronger brand for long-time and new customers, fans and photography enthusiasts.

The Olympus Thailand fanpage also assured customers that its business was still running and would launch new products in line with the current schedule.

Customers and dealers can use Olympus service centres, or attend Olympus events, as usual, it added.

Japan’s Olympus camera brand was born 84 years ago in 1936, while the corporation was founded in 1919.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30390289

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-25

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've owned a few Olympus but got away when they dove heavily into the whole Four Thirds System. After that have mainly stuck with Canon SLR/DSLR kit.

I remember when Polaroid and Kodak abruptly abandoned their manufacturing and sales business and was left with just licensing the brand name to third-party junk products.  Hopefully Olympus doesn't go this route.

A sad day for photography enthusiasts. Both my dad and I had Olympus film cameras and they were great. Unfortunately, JIP has a troubled past when you look at their experience with buying the Sony computer division and what ultimately survived. The Olympus OM-D system certainly has it's fans but that system was particularly vulnerable to the cell phone craze. Other camera manufacturers are also feeling the pinch. 

https://photorumors.com/2020/06/25/olympus-exit-sell-camera-business-the-day-after/

Edited by ThaiBob

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Olympus Thailand today assured its army of loyal customers that business would continue as usual after its imaging division is sold to Japan Industrial Partners (JIP) later this year.

Unfortunately with mobile camera phones becoming almost as good as any point & shoot camera, unless you are a professional and need all the bells & whistles, the camera industry is going to feel the pinch.

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Unfortunately with mobile camera phones becoming almost as good as any point & shoot camera, unless you are a professional and need all the bells & whistles, the camera industry is going to feel the pinch.

Yeah, I know, I mean, I'd hate to think vinyl would make a come back ????

• Haha 1

I've never owned an Olympus.  I was a fan of Minolta and owned a few Minolta film cameras from back in the 70's up until my last purchase in the early 90's.  I switched to digital in the early 2000's and never looked back.  I've primarily been with Canon and like their system very much.  I probably would have gone with Minolta but they never really entered the game.