Borehole water

sometime

The borehole is now giving cloudy water, its 80/100 mt deep lined with 8 inch plastic pipe, drilled 15 years ago always gave Cristal clear water unless A deep borehole was being drilled in the vicinity.

The question is should I raise the submersible  pump to try and stop the sand at the bottom being disturbed, or lower the pump little by little to discharge the sediment.

The well is now in an enclosed garden so well driller cant get in .

Thanks

A couple of questions:

• Was the borehole casing screened, or was it designed for the deep pump to handle sediment?
  • What type of pump is working the borehole? Is it designed to eject sediment sand/rock/etc.?
  • While it would be great to have the water analyzed, that's not always practical or immediately available here, can you pump up a bucket of water and let it rest 24 hours, does the water clarify and what type and amount of sediment is left behind?
  • Any other deep-well users nearby reporting similar issues?

How deep is the water? You can test the output by measuring the depth before and after pumping. Could be that you could raise the pump substantially.

Edited by owl sees all

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

A couple of questions:

• Was the borehole casing screened, or was it designed for the deep pump to handle sediment?
  • What type of pump is working the borehole? Is it designed to eject sediment sand/rock/etc.?
  • While it would be great to have the water analyzed, that's not always practical or immediately available here, can you pump up a bucket of water and let it rest 24 hours, does the water clarify and what type and amount of sediment is left behind?

Question 1 no idea

2 Franklin

4 most wells in the area are at a shallower depth

18 hours ago, sometime said:

drilled 15 years ago always gave Cristal clear water unless A deep borehole was being drilled in the vicinity.

4 hours ago, sometime said:
17 hours ago, RichCor said:

Question [...]

4 most wells in the area are at a shallower depth

Question 4 was in response to a statement your in your original post.

For your borehole to be affected by another being drilled in the vicinity would involve either a lot of ground vibration or disturbance of a shared underground aquifer. Meaning you knew of one or more deep borehole(s) being drilled in the area.

The reason for Question 2 ('type' of pump) was asking if the pump could be used to clean/clear it's own casing. Some 'jetpump' can raise mud and rock without too much issue.

The reason for Question 3 (water quality and dregs) is a simple test of the borehole casing, and if it's failing. The borehole 'screen' should only be allowing minutely small particles through. 'Cloudy' water is normal if your overdrafting or large sections of the 'screen' are plugged and the casing area depth has been reduced by sediment and the casing water reservoir no longer has the depth to allow the water to clarify like before.

I've heard of people taking a waterproof lighted GoPro camera and lowering them down to inspect a borehole casing for damage or sediment fill. Moving or adjusting an in-place 10-year-old pump is always risking the entire well if the pump gets stuck or the line breaks.

18 hours ago, sometime said:

The well is now in an enclosed garden so well driller cant get in .

Garden walls can always be rebuilt.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Just filter the water.

It is filtered all 5 microns, 1st has it goes into the underground tank 2nd has it come out of the tank before the pump then through 3 more filters before it come into the house.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sometime said:

It is filtered all 5 microns, 1st has it goes into the underground tank 2nd has it come out of the tank before the pump then through 3 more filters before it come into the house.

Is it still cloudy after going through the filters?  It's probably mud sediment that will eventually settle but also easily filtered by sand or fiber.

30 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Is it still cloudy after going through the filters?  It's probably mud sediment that will eventually settle but also easily filtered by sand or fiber.

No its not still cloudy, its just that the first filter soon gets blocked so I have to change and clean the first filter upto six times to fill the tank last week, but today it was only twice so its slowly improving

17 minutes ago, sometime said:

No its not still cloudy, its just that the first filter soon gets blocked so I have to change and clean the first filter upto six times to fill the tank last week, but today it was only twice so its slowly improving

So, maybe go with sand or fiber for your initial filter. (?) 

Edited by bankruatsteve
Damn phone.

On 6/26/2020 at 6:33 AM, monsieurhappy said:

The bore in my garden is about 16 years old but the water still goes a little bit "milky" if we have a lot of heavy rain!

Mine  has  done the same twice in 7  years, the rain has to be really  heavy and  fast, I  usually switch to my other  well then, the two are  linked and the second  is  always  clear. After a   day or two of no use it  clears  ok.

I think I have located the cause of the problem.

Across the field to the side of the house is a tourist attraction elephant rides /shooting/zip lines  etc, they have just finished a new feature don't know what it is  but it took about 50 construction trucks of large rocks, loads of ready mix concrete JCBs and long reach caterpillar diggers.

This is very fine sediment blown out of one of the filters, & the clear water coming into the house

An amendment to my first post I checked the depth of the well top to bottom is only 35mt & the water level from the top is 14mt

P1100161.jpg

P1100162.jpg

2 hours ago, sometime said:

Across the field to the side of the house is a tourist attraction elephant rides /shooting/zip lines  etc, they have just finished a new feature don't know what it is  but it took about 50 construction trucks of large rocks, loads of ready mix concrete JCBs and long reach caterpillar diggers.

This is very fine sediment blown out of one of the filters, & the clear water coming into the house

An amendment to my first post I checked the depth of the well top to bottom is only 35mt & the water level from the top is 14mt

P1100161.jpg

P1100162.jpg

No,  mines NEVER  that bad  just very  slight, no sediment

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sometime said:

Wow. There must have a fracture leading directly from their worksite to the foot of your borehole. Ugh!

Personally I'd ask a professional for their opinion, an possibly stop any further pumping from your borehole until after their construction is complete -- to prevent drawing that stuff into your borehole and having the screens and lower section be caked with sediment. 

How does it taste?  (Don't taste it)