BANGKOK
EXOELO

Buying a condo as a foreigner without the Thai wife having the right to claim 50% of my belongings

Hello!

I want to buy a condo as a foreigner. But I don't want my Thai wife to get 50% of my belongings when we (maybe) divorce.

Is there an advocate who can sort this out for me? I don't want any of my belongings; money, condo etc. going to my Thai wife and her whole family for 50% when we split.

I want my son to have all my belongings when the time is so far.

Are there any laws regarding 50/50% when split?

Advocates who can help me keep all my belongings to myself and save it for my son?

Anything will help...I'd also like to know if there are other foreigners with Thai wife's who have the same problem as me with the "share belongings stuff"?

Thank you in advance! I really need all the help and advice experience I can get.

There are many gangster stories out there. Mostly because people don’t fight for their rights.

Assuming you earned the monies for your condo before you got married, you are on the safe side.

Is your wife wealthy? If not, no judge will believe that a farm girl has the funds to buy a condo.

For your son to inherit the condo in full, you should make a will in Thailand.

Cheer up. Read this story to learn from a man with [email protected]

https://scandasia.com/danish-man-wins-lawsuit-against-thai-wife-for-not-sharing-assets/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My understanding is it is 50/50 on anything obtained after the marriage. That will include your belongings bought after and the condo.

I believe there is a clause in the law that states that property purchased with one of the partner's own capital, as well as certain gifts, is excluded from the 50/50 rule, but you would need to consult a well-versed legal advisor to be sure you are covered.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah its not that easy. If I divorce her, then I will have no adress. And with no adress I'll be send back to my own country 😕 

Edited by EXOELO
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, timendres said:

I believe there is a clause in the law that states that property purchased with one of the partner's own capital, as well as certain gifts, is excluded from the 50/50 rule, but you would need to consult a well-versed legal advisor to be sure you are covered.

Thanks that sounds useful. I'll look further into it

5 hours ago, CLS said:

There are many gangster stories out there. Mostly because people don’t fight for their rights.

Assuming you earned the monies for your condo before you got married, you are on the safe side.

Is your wife wealthy? If not, no judge will believe that a farm girl has the funds to buy a condo.

For your son to inherit the condo in full, you should make a will in Thailand.

Cheer up. Read this story to learn from a man with [email protected]

https://scandasia.com/danish-man-wins-lawsuit-against-thai-wife-for-not-sharing-assets/

He went all the way...but yeah I'll read the article Thanks

6 hours ago, Stadtler said:

Stadtler thinks you should exercise more care in your condo purchase than when you purchased your wife.

yeah well too late 😐 

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My understanding is it is 50/50 on anything obtained after the marriage. That will include your belongings bought after and the condo.

Thats exactly what I want to avoid. My money my hard work my belongings. I don't any of my belongings going to her..

6 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I've stripped out the rest of your post as not necessary.

No chance that you'll not lose what you invested in LOS.  You can try to enforce some sort of guarantee / rely on the law, but it'll be a complete waste of time.  

Can you afford to lose it all is the more pertinent question.  

So basically you are saying what I want is impossible? And no I can't afford to lose it all. My health is deteriorating... I just don't want that every thing I buy with my damn money that 50% goes to her (and her whole family)

It means that if we divorce. I cannot their adress as solid living adress, because I'm not related to that side of their family. And with no solid living adress, you'll be send back to your own country (btw. I hire a house, I have nothing in Th. Only got some money) 

I can explain properly, but it has something with having a current living adress with your name on it to be able to stay in Th.

Just try to understand me, sorry for my English it's my second language.....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1