Local Thai Logic

moose7117

If you want to post I do mine on locations thru google maps, as I use it to review before trying new places or thai menus..i then use google translate to convert the thai menu to compare to farang one....a place over charged me and I ate it and left a anonymous review and pic...I use a vpn as well to post to warn others.

As ive learned i always ask price BEFORE if its not posted and I get the check and PAY before I eat or drink

so if its wrong I can just get up and walk away..I do this at bars..get sangsom bottle and mixers and pay right up after verifying the price..I always drink there and tip the server too...they will remember you....funny as I get a small bottle of sangsom--big bucket of ice and 2 ginger ales with lime for 200 and Im good all night.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, moose7117 said:

tell me if i am wrong.

You were wrong.

Posting under the influence on the internet never a good idea. Hopefully it was a one off and you don't have a drink problem and do it often. It was spiteful and could get you in trouble. Like others said you should have just taken it up with the establishment and not spread the news globally - that can get you in defamation trouble in Thailand.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, moose7117 said:

7BA9957D-ED37-43DC-BE67-EF7831E3E228.jpeg

I wonder what the OP had to hide on the menu, right under jack deniels cola, and why he hasn't answered the question others already asked, if he got a Jack coke or a Jack AND a coke in separate bottle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Susco said:

I wonder what the OP had to hide on the menu, right under jack deniels cola, and why he hasn't answered the question others already asked, if he got a Jack coke or a Jack AND a coke in separate bottle.

So you are now calling the bloke a liar now?...some people

He got ripped off and when caught out she refused to confess and blamed him.

Its a shame its a nice bar in a small town other waitress very attentive and bills correct

• Sad 1

Just now, poohy said:

So you are now calling the bloke a liar now?...some people

He got ripped off and when caught out she refused to confess and blamed him.

Its a shame its a nice bar in a small town other waitress very attentive and bills correct

Maybe you should improve your reading skills.

I was asking a question, and that is why does the OP avoid answering questions on the details. There is something written below jack deniels, that the OP for some reason want to hide.

Did you see anything in my post that took one or the other side?

Obviously you have a horse in the race here

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Susco said:

Yes, I have seen that happen before .

A JD and coke in the same glass is 150 Baht , but , if you buy a JD and a coke as two separate drinks , you pay 150 Baht for the straight JD and 50 Baht for a can of coke .

Did he buy one drink or two ?

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Obviously you have a horse in the race here

Not at all

i live in same town and know all parties involved,and visit the establishment occasionally  but never had any dealings with waitress in question nor do doubt the OP

But IMHO purely  on a customer relations point of view they have shot themselves in the foot

12 minutes ago, poohy said:

Not at all

i live in same town and know all parties involved,and visit the establishment occasionally  but never had any dealings with waitress in question nor do doubt the OP

But IMHO purely  on a customer relations point of view they have shot themselves in the foot

I am not saying the OP is wrong but if you look at the picture something is written under the Jack Daniels Coke and its been blocked out. It might have relevance. Either the OP did this on purpose or was just a bit sloppy with the lines he put around and covered something up that had no meaning. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe you had an old menu and not the new price list...

That was Mrs NL's defence when she had an uppity farang making a noise about the price of his one large bottle of Archa at her old eating place.

Edited by NanLaew

On 6/26/2020 at 10:08 AM, Pilotman said:
On 6/26/2020 at 9:11 AM, WhatsNext said:

Don't bow for criminals, we need a website hosted outside of Thailand to warn other people of places like this, with names locations and pictures. If no one visits those ripoff places anymore they will learn.

it's called Trip Advisor 

...and it's still called defamation

I think the OP has actually had JD and coke, rather than JD coke, hence the quoted bill price.

If you look at the bill photo, it did say "Jake + Coke" . The menu specifies Jake Daniels shot = 180 Bht

Adding coke (as a mixer, to fill the glass) would reasonable cost 20 Bht more in a bar. So total per drink=200 Bht.

Now, if the OP ordered specifically Jack Daniels coke (NB: not Jack Daniels and Coke) that would be entirely different drink: pre-made, usually in a can, the proportions of the alcohol, cola mixture, additives,etc quite different to a shot of JD and coke (which could be Coca-Cola, Pepsi,etc-all different cost). If this was the case, a good practice would be to bring such can/bottle, open it then pour in front of the customer (but if they use a draft for such drink, which is unusual, than obviously it's not possible).

However in the OP's later posts he mentioned that he had previously the same drink at the cost of 150 Bht, which leads me to believe that they served the drink (JD coke) in a can/bottle rather than a glass. Otherwise, if they serve both drinks (i.e. JD coke and JD and coke) in a glass, nobody can be sure which is which (unless someone possesses exceptionally well differentiated taste sense)

This could have been a case of simple language misunderstanding - the waiter(ess) could've misheard "JD coke" for "JD and coke" (as in "JD'n'coke"), and knowing Thais "proficiency" with the English language this would not be unexpected (unlike with the English currency ???? ????). Unless the OP actually pointed to the menu (even so, could be a perceptual mishap: both drinks are next to each other).

Nevertheless, even if the waiter(ess) (mis)heard "JD'n'coke", how did he/she know if the customer wanted the usual mixture (i.e. in the same glass) and not JD shot and a separate can/glass of coke (which is indeed unusual)? Perhaps believing if latter, the customer would specify it clearly... 

All in all, I believe this was an honest error possibly caused by the combination of 

• the language and mind-set differences (culture),
  • lack of professionalism (serving staff should always double-check the order with the customer, particularly the "tricky" orders such this) and
  • the context (e.g.implicit covid-19 tensions in most people, rush-hours orders.etc).

So, I'd advise the OP to "bury the grudge" and be more "vigilant" when ordering from the native staff (unless sure of their language proficiency) next time, After all, no reason to feel necessarily duped (as mentioned this could've been an honest mistake) and not too much money lost (consider this as a reminder cost that you are in Thailand, Asia and not in the Western world). In fact, this is a reminder to all of us (the westerners) to be wary of our "western" cognitive/cultural biases/expectations...

And most important of all:

"Always look on the bright side of life..."  ????????????

...and you'll always be a winner!

Edited by McArie
grammar
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Susco said:

These Photos were actually uploaded to face book by the Bar in questuion, i just saved them from face book.

they thought it supported their actions of charging 200 baht. 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:35 AM, Logosone said:

Even with housing, I live in a super luxury house with pool for very modest rent. It's quite amazing.

Depends where you living.

Here in Thonglor a luxury house/condo is equal to an extravagant rent.

• Like 1

A post and replies have been removed, please take note of the following forum rules:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

20) You will not post any member's personal information including emails, personal messages, photos or web site details. 

//CLOSED//