Chiang Mai: Young couple stole nearly 4 million baht from employer during lockdown

webfact

Chiang Mai: Young couple stole nearly 4 million baht from employer during lockdown

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A former bank employee and her boyfriend, aged just 26 and 31, siphoned off nearly four million baht from the woman's employer.

Using an app they stole 3,975,841 baht in 115 withdrawals between April 19th and June 11th. 

Finally the woman's employer noticed and went to the Chiang Mai police with their suspicions resulting in the issuing of a warrant.

The woman, a resident of Muang district was arrested at work, the boyfriend, from San Sai, surrendered to police. 

She had used her knowledge of banking operations in the past to change passwords for the couple's benefit and transfer money to their accounts.

They used the cash to pay off debts, buy goods and do some online gambling. 

Region 5 chief Lt-Gen Prachuab Wongsuk said that the couple have been charged with conspiracy to steal and theft from an employer. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-26

6 hours ago, webfact said:

They used the cash to pay off debts, buy goods and do some online gambling. 

Region 5 chief Lt-Gen Prachuab Wongsuk said that the couple have been charged with conspiracy to steal and theft from an employer.

Does that mean online gambling has become legal now?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

siphoned off nearly four million baht

Please note:- They used the cash to pay off debts, buy goods and do some online gambling. 

I "bet" most of this money went on gambling (please excuse the pun)!

I must be the only one to suspect the guy forced and coerced and intimidated the young girl into doing these crimes. She just suspected the crime spree to be caught out after a few hundred thousand baht went missing.  She couldn't of done it without the assistance from the bank and its apps. Six months tops for her.

Take a mini van and kill some people, call mum and walk away.

Provided, you have the right name. Bonnie & Clyde here commited a minor crime,

a week at the local temple and swiping the road should do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Antonymous said:

115 withdrawals and nearly 4 million baht and finally after two months she noticed?

Note to all: check your bank balance regularly!

i get an SMS every Monday morning 7 am from Bangkok bank showing my balance. Also transfers/payments 

SMS from yellow bank withdrawals/transfers over 5,000 and showing balance, what still amazes me, I get the SMS before the money comes out through the rollers. Did they manage to change the phone num of the victim on bank records also

Edited by brianthainess
add content
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 5:59 PM, Burma Bill said:

Please note:- They used the cash to pay off debts, buy goods and do some online gambling. 

I "bet" most of this money went on gambling (please excuse the pun)!

If they had used the money to "buy school uniforms and supplies for nieces and nephews", perhaps donating a percentage to the Thai Police Mia Noi Retirement Fund, they may have gotten away with a 500-baht fine, a deep wai, and a warning... ????

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:28 AM, Grumpy one said:

After release from prison this young woman who already has experience in banks will be able to work overseas in the banking world.

Assuming this Thai prisoner training is accepted in other countries :whistling:

After undergoing retraining will be accepted in Australia. Training = Rip off the customers, not us. OK

Cheers