Large groups of Thais/foreigners gathering in Pattaya despite COVID-19 concerns

webfact

Since last Sunday when BIB cleaned out all people, and barriers in place, soi Buakhao, Tree town area has been dead as a graveyard at 9 pm when I drive home.

Grab delivery motorcycles block the road many times, they park wherever they want. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

are a public place, it's not the private property of few bars owners.

You are likely wrong there, any a space in front of a bar or business gets occupied by that business often up to the road edge. It wasn't a problem for me, no kerb in front of my place, it was likely a problem for the police. Similar event recently in Brixton, UK. I wonder why it did not occur in the more open area of Treetown itself. 

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And who are they scared of catching it from? With no cases anywhere in the country for a month, there is nobody out there with it, making the continuing paranoia just ludicrous. Glad at least that the cops didn't make fools of themselves by arresting anyone.

There is nobody out there with it.

We don't know that for sure.  Maybe just that one person who is asymptomatic. I'm surprised you made such a statement.

Just now, anchadian said:

There is nobody out there with it.

We don't know that for sure.  Maybe just that one person who is asymptomatic. I'm surprised you made such a statement.

How do you know this? There have been under 1/2 million tests in Thailand on a population of 70 million. I expect you are correct though. 

15 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Incubation time is 14 days. After 31 days without any reports.....

Yes,  but asymptomatic and those with mild symptoms may well not report. As said though, likely very true that the country is 'clean'. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Top pic. looks like a Kardashian butt on the right , not too sure what else there was to look at.

OK, I go for that Kardashian butt - you got a contact ?

33 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

How many have died from seasonal Flu?  None.

So Covid 19 has cured Flu.

Maybe need to research a bit more..... 

Data for the early part of 2020, before the impact of the rainy season 

https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/files_en/30420200528084711.pdf

And a somewhat comparable period for 2019

https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/files_en/filedata/Department of Disease Control Weekly Disease Forecast No.199 Influenza (24 Feb 2019).pdf

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You are likely wrong there, any a space in front of a bar or business gets occupied by that business often up to the road edge

No i am not

the ''de facto'' occupancy of a public part by a business

doesn't transform it in a legal right to do it nor to claim rights on it

even if in Pattaya i recognize that you can often be driven to think the opposite

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

No i am not

the ''de facto'' occupancy of a public part by a business

doesn't transform it in a legal right to do it and claim right on it

Without seeing the chanote I do not know who owns it. 

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Without seeing the chanote I do not know who owns it. 

everywhere in the world, including in thailand, the streets and the sidewalks

are a public space. 

Some very few exceptions (Private street like ''soi Chayapoon'') at this rule

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And who are they scared of catching it from? With no cases anywhere in the country for a month, there is nobody out there with it, making the continuing paranoia just ludicrous. Glad at least that the cops didn't make fools of themselves by arresting anyone.

It's a new phase called Covid-69 especially for people in Pattaya

• Haha 2

Since I live in Central Pattaya I know this Tree Town area very well. It is not the whole Tree Town but only this area at Soi Buakhao. It has been a very special zone for a long time. Below you can find a very sad story a longer time ago - he picked the lady up there. Recently things changed. Took some time. 

Edited by Oldie

7 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

But how many bars will open and if they do how long will they last with no influx of tourists.

I have been living in Pattaya very long. And I have seen many bars open without any customers even in the high season. I still ask myself how they can survive. If anybody can tell me please let me know. There might be money laundering. But I don't think all these empty bars have this purpose. 

• Like 1

Why doesn't Thailand do localised lockdowns? Open things up but not the borders so that businesses and actually operate. And if a town or a location has an outbreak, just lock down that area. It is working in other countries, and here in the UK life has been pretty much running as normal for weeks, and we are still getting more than 1,000 cases every day