Phuket officials ramp up campaign for ’new normal’ beach rules, face masks required

webfact

Phuket officials ramp up campaign for ’new normal’ beach rules, face masks required

By Khunanya Wanchanwet

1593107410_1.jpg

Signs of Mayor Chalermluck wearing a mask have been posted along Patong Beach. Photo Patong Municipality

PHUKET: Officials and Tourist Police are ramping up their campaign to ensure that people at Phuket beaches, especially at Patong, observe the ‘new normal’ rules, including the requirement to wear a face mask.

“For now, Patong Municipality has already allowed people to relax and do activities on the beach, but we found some people ignoring the requirement to wear face masks,” Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup told The Phuket News’ Thai-language sister newspaper Khao Phuket.

“We have already ordered lifeguards and municipal officers to remind them,” she said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-ramp-up-campaign-for-new-normal-beach-rules-face-masks-required-76510.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-06-26

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“For now, Patong Municipality has already allowed people to relax and do activities on the beach, but we found some people ignoring the requirement to wear face masks,” Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup

If it's a "requirement", why does the sign feebly say 'wear a mask'? It gives the impression it's really a suggestion.

Nothing about 'You must wear a mask' or stating the regulation/decree.

The authorities don't really seem to be aware how to get their message across.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

If it's a "requirement", why does the sign feebly say 'wear a mask'? It gives the impression it's really a suggestion.

Nothing about 'You must wear a mask' or stating the regulation/decree.

The authorities don't really seem to be aware how to get their message across.

There's No law in Thailand that one has to wear a mask outside their home , only on request going into shops if Required.  All they can do is Refuse one to into a shop or go on a beach.

10 minutes ago, digger70 said:

There's No law in Thailand that one has to wear a mask outside their home , only on request going into shops if Required.  All they can do is Refuse one to into a shop or go on a beach.

I thought there were two provinces that had enforced it and were fining people 10,000 Baht(?) if they didn't wear one?

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I thought there were two provinces that had enforced it and were fining people 10,000 Baht(?) if they didn't wear one?

That maybe so but that's Illegal collecting Pocket money.

This phrase "new normal" really gets up my nose. There is nothing normal about this flu except it will disappear just like every other flu we have had.  Perhaps I should be following the "new normal" imposed by Spanish flu or sars?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I saw a figure higher than that for not wearing a mask published for Hua Hin. The below was put out a few months back but never read anything about rescinding mask wearing yet..

https://www.thailandnews.co/2020/04/covid-19-prachuap-khiri-khan-closes-hotels-orders-all-residents-to-wear-masks/

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

if folks do not want to comply then go home, it's actually a simple decision to go back and join the morons in your own country..

Welcome to Phuket! When did you move here as I've never seen you post in our local forum before and this is a local Phuket issue.

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

this is a Thai issue, these are protections for the Thai people!

Not  correct, read the headline again.  BTW, when did you move to Phuket?

46 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Not  correct, read the headline again.  BTW, when did you move to Phuket?

doesn't matter where I live, I reiterate, these rules are to protect the Thai people, not worry about the sensibilities of foreigners living there..

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

doesn't matter where I live, I reiterate, these rules are to protect the Thai people, not worry about the sensibilities of foreigners living there..

Negative non Phuket resident.  This is about a beach that is predominantly only visited by tourists, and now is basically deserted.